Signature cards....

Do you collect hockey cards or other hockey/Canucks memorabilia? Dicuss your collections in this forum and network with other collectors.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Signature cards....

Post by tuzzi44 »

Okay so I think theres alot of "old school" and "new school" card collectors here, so perhaps we should discuss the Signature cards that have become very mainstream. Jersey cards can fall under the same category....

I think for some people who dont live in NHL cities like myself. the sig cards have become a great way to collect autographs because the option to do it the ol fashion way just isnt possible. On the other hand, it has made collectors a bit more lazy 8-) ... the days of having to go track a star player down to get an auto are no more.... just hit the ebay and make a bid! I do like that alot of sets get some players from the past signing cards which is a nice switch. so now ive got a mix of old stars with some new stars...

what do you guys think???
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I collect a lot of them. I'm finding though that most (if not all) of the new players have the worst chicken scratch autographs. You look at the older stars, and they have great sigs.

I recently picked up an older Luongo autograph card, not so much because it's rare, but more that it has his full signature compared to his later cards.

I'm also not a fan of the band-aid stickers they use now. I usually won't bid on cards that have them (which is almost every new set). I can understand their reasoning for using them, but I think the card makers are getting lazy and using them too much.

If you read Beckett Hockey magazine, they always have a section about getting signatures in person (which is impossible for some of us) or through the mail (which I haven't tried yet).

I liked the recent Franchises set, as it added some new Canuck signature cards for the older players and some great jersey cards of some original six players.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Yeah some players have absolute awful signatures.... roberto being one and Naslund doesnt have the greatest either. Im impressed with Crosby's auto for now... but i wonder if it will stay the same over the next few years. Cornuck, thats a very unique luongo signature you got there... good pick up. I've been somewhat looking for one of the ovechkin autos where he literally spells out his entire name, word for word.... looks like a 5 year old! LOL I do read beckett and thats one of my favorite sections when they talk about the autographs... also i like collector of the month. Im not a fan of the sticker autos as well, but i think its almost nessecary to ensure the cards' condition when they are returned to the company.
I really like the 06/07 UD artifacts set... nice basecards, beauty swatches and some descent sigs as well
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews