We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Ah yes. Mold in a petri dish. Good times!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:00 am Ah yes. Mold in a petri dish. Good times!
Rapid growth in a fertile environment is the perfect setting for genetic variation.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I'll make the popcorn.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Three days sans Donlever, I wonder if he caught... it.

Everyone seems to be catching it these days.

I'm pretty much over it now except for a bit of a nagging cough.

I mean I think what I had was... it.

It... was a weird one for sure.

Not happy about having all those symptoms after being double-vaxxed.

Wifey had it too of course, we were soooo good for sooo long

... and then over the holidays we had enough and partied like Blob.

Twas worth it. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:27 pm ... and then over the holidays we had enough and partied like Blob.
Twas worth it. :)
As long as you're here to tell the story, that's all that matters. Are you thanking the vax that you weren't sicker?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:08 pm Are you thanking the vax that you weren't sicker?
I dunno... I guess.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:09 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:12 pm ....now numbers are showing it has all been baseless so one must question the motivations for them to do so.....
That’s a complete misunderstanding.

As the majority of the population has either been vaccinated or recovered from having had covid and the newer strains of the virus seem less likely to kill people or make them seriously ill, we’re approaching the time when it may be possible to go back to normal and lift restrictions.

But that doesn’t mean the measures taken earlier were wrong or meaningless. It seems pretty clear that lives have been saved.

If you compare the number of covid deaths per million inhabitants, it seems clear that shutdowns, vaccination programmes and restrictions have made a difference.

Countries where the political leaders scoffed at addressing the pandemic have has far more deaths per capita than those that took it seriously.

Just compare the 850 dead per million in Canada with the 2660 in the USA or the 2899 in Brazil.
If the USA had enforced similar restrictions as Canada did, two thirds of their 888,000 dead might still be alive.

And Countries with even stricter measures have done even better:

Finland 327 per million
Norway 258
Japan 147
Australia 98
New Zeeland 10

I assume it also helped that Japan, Australia and Japan are island nations, making border control easier.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Peru is worst of all with 6056 dead per million. But I assume that is the result of a combination of incompetence, poverty and lack of access to proper healthcare. I also think they had difficulties getting hold of sufficient amounts of the vaccine.
And how many of those 850 per million in Canada are not differentiated death due to Covid or death with Covid and other illnesses?

I'm not talking about the vaccines and their development Per, I'm talking about the mandates. I'm talking about the masking (that doesn't work). I'm talking about the lies and the quiet moves. The overreach. The censorship, the narrative, the refusal to disclose scientific data that is supposedly being used to make these decisions. Smart people questioned the vaccine passports. They were shutdown. They basically said that the passports will actually contribute to spread and mutation because they will create a false sense of security and the virus will have a chance to mutate outside the vaccine's ability to be effective, and perhaps even to the point that natural immunity is no longer even sufficient......here we are mere months later with Omicron, the variant that is (thankfully) mild but completely oblivious to vaccine status of the individual.

Researchers around the world are starting to ask questions. When the head of immunology at Tel A Viv University is saying that we knew we couldn't defeat a respiratory virus with a vaccine why is that ignored or dismissed? He's not an idiot. When people in similar positions in North America are asking questions, why are they treated with contempt?

Oh, and I'm not talking about Europe and Japan and Down Under. I don't give a shit. I'm talking about what we see in North America, particularly Canada.

You want to restrict access to certain things, limit gatherings, do the social distancing? Sure. Those things actually make sense. Ignoring herd immunity, and the overall data is showing big time right now that natural immunity is far far superior, and now the Omicron variant simply ignores the vaccine altogether it seems.....so more boosters? WTF? Thank God some places are looking at T-cell exhaustion right now and wanting to investigate whether or not boosters are going to cause this and make people actually more susceptible to Covid and other viruses.

This has all been a terrible managed situation.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:44 pm
Topper wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:22 pm Countries that have been locked down like Australia and New Zealand are in for a shock when they open up. It will be fun to watch from afar.
Fun in a throwing Christians to the lions kind of way?
You find that fun?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:20 am
Topper wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:22 pm Countries that have been locked down like Australia and New Zealand are in for a shock when they open up. It will be fun to watch from afar.
Well, they would be if it were not for vaccines and that the somewhat milder omicron strain has replaced the original covid virus and the also pretty lethal delta.

People who get the omicron strand seem to be only half as likely to end up in intensive care as those who got the original or the delta strain. Add to this that the unvaxxed are ten times more likely to need intensive care than those who are double vaxxed. And Australians and Kiwis have had ample time to vaxx up. Not like me and my wife who caught covid before vaccines were available for our age group.

Thus even though omicron may sweep through Australia and NZ as a wildfire when they open up, there will be nowhere near the number of casualties that we saw in eg the USA, in Sweden or even in Canada.

Most likely the death toll they experience in a delayed covid experience should be roughly 5% of what they had had without their draconian shutdown. So my guess is they will not even reach the Finnish level of roughly 300 per million.
Omicron means half as likely? Last week BC has a little over 800 Covid admissions. 4 of them were in the ICU. Your 50% and my 50% are clearly alot different.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/truck-driver ... -1.5751300
Truck drivers convoy across Canada in protest of federal vaccine mandates

Thousands of transport truck drivers are convoying across the country Sunday to protest the current federal vaccine mandate for cross-border travel.

Those involved say the pandemic rules and mandates are destroying the foundation of businesses, industries and livelihoods.

Fuck you Trudeau!
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:31 pm
You find that fun?
It's a rhetorical question Mëds.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:24 pm
You find that fun?
One can never tell with you.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

You find that fun?
Roman privilege

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:33 pm
Per wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:20 am
Well, they would be if it were not for vaccines and that the somewhat milder omicron strain has replaced the original covid virus and the also pretty lethal delta.

People who get the omicron strand seem to be only half as likely to end up in intensive care as those who got the original or the delta strain. Add to this that the unvaxxed are ten times more likely to need intensive care than those who are double vaxxed. And Australians and Kiwis have had ample time to vaxx up. Not like me and my wife who caught covid before vaccines were available for our age group.

Thus even though omicron may sweep through Australia and NZ as a wildfire when they open up, there will be nowhere near the number of casualties that we saw in eg the USA, in Sweden or even in Canada.

Most likely the death toll they experience in a delayed covid experience should be roughly 5% of what they had had without their draconian shutdown. So my guess is they will not even reach the Finnish level of roughly 300 per million.
Omicron means half as likely? Last week BC has a little over 800 Covid admissions. 4 of them were in the ICU. Your 50% and my 50% are clearly alot different.
I tracked the BC data in my own database up until September 2021 when data gaps started making daily tracking impossible.

Prior to omicron it was a consistent 30% of hospital cases were in ICU. Note that BC included ICU numbers as hospitalization. So if they said 100 in hospital and 30 in ICU, that was 30 of the 100.

Fifty percent of previous numbers would then be 15% of total current hospitalization. The latest BCCDC numbers are 14% . Close enough.
Last edited by Topper on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:44 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:24 pm
You find that fun?
One can never tell with you.
You couldn't tell?

So you thought that I might be the kind of person that enjoys watching Christians die for their faith? What did I do to deserve that Mëds?