Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:27 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:13 pm
Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:28 pm I don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the league, but how many cases have there been where a young player has entered the league, done great, and then dropped off like EP40? I know some don't live up to their draft position from day one, but to win a Calder have 2 good years and then become invisible?

We're all used to seeing the 'sophomore slump', so I'm hoping this is a delayed slump, and not a more serious situation (mental problems, can't handle pressure, long term nagging injury, long covid, etc).
And I say why hope? Why not see if you can make a trade and let another team hope. :lol:
Because you can only trade a hope player for another hope player or a lesser (proven) player. Or draft picks if that's what you want.

I don't think anybody wants any of those options right now, because if Petey does not become our version of MacKinnon then we have no chance of being a contender with this group of players. It's back to a rebuild or tanking for picks.
I agree with 5thhorseman's analysis.

I was skeptical, even critical, of many of Benning's decisions, but I don't think there is much question that in Pettersson and Hughes (and Boeser, and especially Demko !) he drafted the best players available. The trouble for the Canucks -- whether run by a genius or just an ordinary mortal who built 3 Stanley Cup Championship teams -- is that Petterson and Hughes are very, very difficult core pieces around whom to build a Championship team in the NHL. Neither (at this stage of their careers, anyway) are top 5 at their position (IMO -- perhaps some of you will enjoy arguing about that) and both are very much on the small side, and in Pettersson's case at least, seemingly the frail side, as well. Since the retirement of Odjick, the Canucks have had trouble finding the effective amount of pushback/deterrence to protect such skill players, whether going over top Bertuzzi style, or relying too much on balanced and consistent officiating (in the NHL !) in the Sedin era. So they will need a very specific kind of supporting cast, and one that the Canucks have had trouble putting together lately. (I concede that it is also an open question whether Odjickian skill sets still provide useful protection in the 2022 NHL.)

I won't say Pettersson can't become the Canucks version of MacKinnon, because it's too early to say, but I am not sanguine about his chances. It will be interesting to see (well, try to infer) what Rutherford thinks of them.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:57 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:53 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:34 am The Canuck fan - “he’s struggling? Trade his ass outta here! He’s a bum! He’s a beanpole! Can’t fight! He’s a Swede! Even though he sucks and is awful like FOREVER and will never get better we should be able get a premium for him. Why haven’t they traded him for Barzal and Dobson yet, ffs! Fire Rutherford, Fire Rutherford…”
Who is saying these things? Do these people live under your bed?
Nobody

I made it up
Sounds about right.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:36 am
Per wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:25 am we have nothing, only despair.
Dumb Aaron Rome + Shaky Roberto Luongo. = what you said. :(
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:50 pm
Micky wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:36 am
Per wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:25 am we have nothing, only despair.
Dumb Aaron Rome + Shaky Roberto Luongo. = what you said. :(
....Image
......There, I centered it for you. Only because you're under the weather a tad. Don't expect this preferential treatment all the time though. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...and this little effort gets filed under the tag of poking the bear.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Gomer, you're the dumbest fuck I've seen in 24 years on the internet. Seriously.

You're a cancer.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...and the proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

Bear poked.

EDIT...also...dumbest fuck in 24 years is really saying something

There have been some stupid twats step up over the years.

He's Dump, He's Dump
He's on the net
He's Dump He's Dump He's Dump
He now be dead

Dump lingered last in line for brains
A lineage of lawyers driving him insane

...don't be a Dump dude.
Last edited by donlever on Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

If only Gomer had an Off Switch.

Hey, wait a minute...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeahno Donny, he's way dumber than Dump.

At least Dump realized how stupid he is.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Dumber than dump? You don’t say.
Eat my shorts
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Wouldn't it be...dumper than Dump?
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:25 pm Gomer, you're the dumbest fuck I've seen in 24 years on the internet. Seriously.

You're a cancer.
Hjewmanji comes to mind.....
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

For Chef's sake I hope Rutherford hires Mike Gillis back to be the "new" GM.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:17 pm Hjewmanji comes to mind.....
Ahhh... good call Mëds.

They both should be inducted into the Hall of Shame though.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:40 am
5thhorseman wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:27 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:13 pm
Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:28 pm I don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the league, but how many cases have there been where a young player has entered the league, done great, and then dropped off like EP40? I know some don't live up to their draft position from day one, but to win a Calder have 2 good years and then become invisible?

We're all used to seeing the 'sophomore slump', so I'm hoping this is a delayed slump, and not a more serious situation (mental problems, can't handle pressure, long term nagging injury, long covid, etc).
And I say why hope? Why not see if you can make a trade and let another team hope. :lol:
Because you can only trade a hope player for another hope player or a lesser (proven) player. Or draft picks if that's what you want.

I don't think anybody wants any of those options right now, because if Petey does not become our version of MacKinnon then we have no chance of being a contender with this group of players. It's back to a rebuild or tanking for picks.
I agree with 5thhorseman's analysis.

I was skeptical, even critical, of many of Benning's decisions, but I don't think there is much question that in Pettersson and Hughes (and Boeser, and especially Demko !) he drafted the best players available. The trouble for the Canucks -- whether run by a genius or just an ordinary mortal who built 3 Stanley Cup Championship teams -- is that Petterson and Hughes are very, very difficult core pieces around whom to build a Championship team in the NHL. Neither (at this stage of their careers, anyway) are top 5 at their position (IMO -- perhaps some of you will enjoy arguing about that) and both are very much on the small side, and in Pettersson's case at least, seemingly the frail side, as well. Since the retirement of Odjick, the Canucks have had trouble finding the effective amount of pushback/deterrence to protect such skill players, whether going over top Bertuzzi style, or relying too much on balanced and consistent officiating (in the NHL !) in the Sedin era. So they will need a very specific kind of supporting cast, and one that the Canucks have had trouble putting together lately. (I concede that it is also an open question whether Odjickian skill sets still provide useful protection in the 2022 NHL.)

I won't say Pettersson can't become the Canucks version of MacKinnon, because it's too early to say, but I am not sanguine about his chances. It will be interesting to see (well, try to infer) what Rutherford thinks of them.
You win with elite skill, Petey has it. He’s struggling, lay off, he will come around. The guys you don’t win with are Bo “Brenden Morrison” Horvat. We need to trade Bo, he’s a good guy and all but he’s got no edge to his game, especially for your captain. He’s to Jason Garrison chill zone
“Throw a punch Horvat for fuck sakes. Trevor Linden all over again. Why can’t we ever have a hard nosed mean prick for a captain“ - Doyle