Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Mickey107 »

Arbour wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:21 am Is Petey Finnished? :crazy: Now that I've got that out of my system. Pettersson's got 7 million reasons to be busting his butt right now and while I appreciate he isn't an in your face player he certainly isn't measuring up to what he was previously, not by a long shot. As others have pointed out he seems to have regressed into a perimeter player, coming over the blue line with the puck he rarely tries to beat anyone and generally turns off, on the fore check he rarely comes up with the puck and on the back check in his own zone he tends to gravitate to open ice rather than actually checking an opponent. Not all the time but enough that it's noticeable. Hopefully this isn't a result of some misguided sense of entitlement.

I'm starting to wonder whether Pettersson's early success in the NHL may have resulted in him not training as hard as he might have? The league is now aware of what he can do and check him more closely and unlike someone like Garland for instance, he doesn't like the rough going and things aren't as easy as they once were.

I would suspect that once Rutherford has a new GM in place Pettersson may be coming under some serious scrutiny.
Really good post. No question, there's probably a combination of reasons for EP40's fall-off. One thing that stands out for me is he use to want the puck. Always. That attitude served him well. He's scared now it seems. There will come a point, his team-mates can't help him anymore so we gotta hope he gets things worked out on his own. Could go either way.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:35 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:33 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:21 am Trading Petey while he is struggling is so Canuck fans and Media. What’s next? Do we start calling him the 3rd Sister (The Sedins)? I’m surprised “Mr. Patience” - Blobbee wants to can his ass out of town.
When did I say this?
"Known Swede-haters" Mëds & Blob McAntsy!

:D
Change Petey’s name to Ryan Clowe different outtake from Blob
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Petey's already proven he can score in this league, including in the hardcore playoffs, he got a bad injury last year, hadn't played in months, got covid, now he's in a funk. Only a fool would move Petey right now, he's only going to get better, might not happen in a New York minute as a lot of you want, but he's got a good solid 10+ years ahead of him if not longer.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Who is saying to move Loui Pettersson?

I haven’t uttered a word about trading him.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 am Loui Pettersson
:lol:

:hmmm:

:evil:

:lol:
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 am Who is saying to move Pettersson?

I ain't talking about you Vinny.

Just some are alluding to it.
Micky wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:43 pm Depending on our circumstance, make him available at the trade deadline.
Mëds wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:58 pm Trade high.....and the argument that we would be trading from a bad position due to his recent woes is not going to improve.
If Barzal is struggling and needing a change of scenery too, I'd pull that trigger.
Arbour wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:21 am I would suspect that once Rutherford has a new GM in place Pettersson may be coming under some serious scrutiny.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I can’t believe that people are hammering away on Pettersson. He has admitted he wasn’t focused on hockey, and with the shortened season and injuries, along with the added attention he gets from top players in the league shutting him down, as well as the ,Edina pressure of a big contract, of course he struggling to regain his confidence.

Anyone who actually watches the games can see it’s a young player with only a few games under his belt, struggling with confidence.

I get that people be critical, but to talk of ‘if he is done’, and ‘trade him now’, or the ‘he peaked’ crowd… those knee jerk reaction it’s are just that, knee jerks.

It’s weird that this market so craves a villain to hate on and hang, that they will make one out of anyone.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:07 am It’s weird that this market so craves a villain to hate on and hang, that they will make one out of anyone.
MCP, I think everyone here hopes Pettersson returns to form and will be an intricate part of this team for many years. He is making plenty of scratch now though and is subject to scrutiny like any player would on any team who is expected to be a franchise player. He has shown those capabilities with this team already.
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the league, but how many cases have there been where a young player has entered the league, done great, and then dropped off like EP40? I know some don't live up to their draft position from day one, but to win a Calder have 2 good years and then become invisible?

We're all used to seeing the 'sophomore slump', so I'm hoping this is a delayed slump, and not a more serious situation (mental problems, can't handle pressure, long term nagging injury, long covid, etc).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:28 pm I don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the league, but how many cases have there been where a young player has entered the league, done great, and then dropped off like EP40? I know some don't live up to their draft position from day one, but to win a Calder have 2 good years and then become invisible?

We're all used to seeing the 'sophomore slump', so I'm hoping this is a delayed slump, and not a more serious situation (mental problems, can't handle pressure, long term nagging injury, long covid, etc).
Nathan MacKinnon is a recent example of someone who struggled after his first couple seasons then turned it around.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:17 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:54 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:14 pm
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:11 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:55 pm Shit, Mëds got royally archived by Doc
Meh. Who hasn't. Lol.

At least I stand by my record instead of changing my mind every 10 minutes. ;)

What NHL team has a long history of having Swedish hockey players in either leadership or top positions over the last 28 years and have won sweet fuck all with them?
Detroit
Ummmmm they have 4 cups in the last 28 years.
I'd be pretty OK with the Canucks averaging one Stanley Cup Championship every 7 years from here on out.
Well yeah.

Detroit won a couple of those with Yzerman and Fedorov. Then 2 with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

But my point was that the Canucks haven’t won fuck all with a hefty amount of Euro leadership the last 28 years….despite some of those players being very good regular season performers.

Detroit is perhaps the lone exception.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:18 pm
Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:28 pm I don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the league, but how many cases have there been where a young player has entered the league, done great, and then dropped off like EP40? I know some don't live up to their draft position from day one, but to win a Calder have 2 good years and then become invisible?

Nathan MacKinnon is a recent example of someone who struggled after his first couple seasons then turned it around.
Likely a good comparable - Calder trophy, then dropped off for 2 years and is now a 90+ point guy. Might have to write off this season for Petey, then wait for him to tear it up next year.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:32 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:54 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:14 pm
Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:11 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:55 pm Shit, Mëds got royally archived by Doc
Meh. Who hasn't. Lol.

At least I stand by my record instead of changing my mind every 10 minutes. ;)

What NHL team has a long history of having Swedish hockey players in either leadership or top positions over the last 28 years and have won sweet fuck all with them?
Detroit
Ummmmm they have 4 cups in the last 28 years.
Since Salming came into the league only the Oilers, Penguins and Canadiens have more Cups than the Red Wings.

And I’m not sure why getting picked in a later round matters. Sweden is scouted far more intensively these days and the Europeans skills are seen more often in international tournaments.

Either way the point was Petey is still developing, likely to peak in his mid to late 20s.

I’m not opposed to trading him really for the right pieces, like I mentioned just worried about what he may turn into if we do!
Yeah. I'm mostly puzzled as why you said Detroit in response to a team with Swedish leadership that has won sweet fuck all.....

Later round matters because you would expect a top 5 overall pick to develop faster and be more effective than a guy picked 205 spots later in the bottom 10 of the last round. Zetterberg did not tear up the junior leagues, nor did he set the SHL on fire as a teenager. His first 3 seasons in the NHL were decent seasons and he produced at a pace consistent with a guy you would have slotted in anywhere from the 6-9 spot on the forward depth chart. I just think it's a poor comparison, but that's just my opinion (and we all know what they say about opinions and assholes).

There's also the attitude that Petey has displayed everywhere outside of the Edmonton playoff bubble.

I'll also point to his skating. He's got decent wheels in a straight line, but his edge work is average or below (again just my opinion) which makes his side/side cuts less effective in creating space on the fly.

I'm not advocating that we dump him for a draft pick.....if we trade him at this point it's a hockey trade where we find a player of similar age who also might benefit from a change of scenery. It's why I like the rumors that Barzal is struggling and may be in need of a new home too.

Barzal is faster, more dynamic, a playmaker who puts up points in a very very defense first system, which makes me think he could be much more productive on the scoreboard playing for Boudreau. His salary is also similar ($500K less actually) only his contract has a year less to run. He's a BC boy and I just think the fit is right. He's also only a year older.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 am Who is saying to move Loui Perimettersson?

FYP
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:07 am I can’t believe that people are hammering away on Pettersson. He has admitted he wasn’t focused on hockey, and with the shortened season and injuries, along with the added attention he gets from top players in the league shutting him down, as well as the ,Edina pressure of a big contract, of course he struggling to regain his confidence.

Anyone who actually watches the games can see it’s a young player with only a few games under his belt, struggling with confidence.

I get that people be critical, but to talk of ‘if he is done’, and ‘trade him now’, or the ‘he peaked’ crowd… those knee jerk reaction it’s are just that, knee jerks.

It’s weird that this market so craves a villain to hate on and hang, that they will make one out of anyone.
The whiffed shots, the forced and fanned on passes, a few of the mental errors.....yeah, that's confidence and development.

The pushed off of pucks, the skating, the quitting on the play (though there's been less of that since BB arrived).....that's not confidence.

I'm not saying trade him because he's done. I'm saying trade him while other GM's out there might think he's a first line center to build around. I don't think he's that guy. I think he's a 2nd line center who scores for you at a little over 0.9 ppg but sees that production drop off when asked to carry the top line against the opponent's best defenders.

You can have that guy at $7.5M but only if you have better players who are on bargain contracts.....which we don't have (or won't in a couple years).