Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:54 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:48 am A quick look on Hockey Reference and the Canucks have kept 7 players 5'10" or under, the most in the league, second is 4 with Detroit, Montreal, and Minnesota. The two time Stanley Cup champion Lightning have zero.
It’s like they are so worried about making playoffs, they don’t realize we will be sunk once (if) we get there.
We hung in there pretty well a couple of years ago, luckily our top 6 is pretty beefy and our top pairing the same. Would be nice to have some more size for the 4th line, but green really wants a super fast 4th line, hopefully Bailey can make it seeing as he’s best of both worlds.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Curmudgeon wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:48 am A quick look on Hockey Reference and the Canucks have kept 7 players 5'10" or under, the most in the league, second is 4 with Detroit, Montreal, and Minnesota. The two time Stanley Cup champion Lightning have zero.
Gotta have those career AHL runts for the PK y'know: How was the PK in the exhibition games you ask?

The Tampa team which took home the Stanley Cup wasn't particularly big on the forward lines. Their defence was huge, mobile and made those outlet passes to quickly get out of their defensive zone. Maroon was their biggest forward and while never having been NHL heavyweight champ could handle himself and knew when to step up and protect his teammates. Goodrow and Coleman were the only other forwards over 200 lb. The rest of the forwards were speedy, fearless and defensively responsible. You could see the Scotty Bowman influence the way Tampa played their system with strong two way play from the centre position and scoring from the wings.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Aquaman is on the 650 right now and saw this on Twitter, any idea what he is referring to?
Sportsnet 650
@Sportsnet650
Aquilini on the Banner: "I think that's a cheap shot - no class. People that do that have too much time on their hands. He has a family, would you like to see your Husband or Father get hung out like that? No class."
Edit:

Ignore, apparently it was about the "Fire Benning" banner.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Yep - ^ - He called that one right. :)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Clearly the moves made since camp started was to accommodate the coach. He wants his very own clipboard crew that he thinks gives him the best chance.

So, if you bring some guys in, some have to go.

But everything is the GMs fault. These moves aren't made in a vacuum by himself.

You're supposed to be Canuck fans. The season hasn't even started yet. Embarrassing. No wonder everyone looks down on us.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

theman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:06 pm Aquaman is on the 650 right now and saw this on Twitter, any idea what he is referring to?
Sportsnet 650
@Sportsnet650
Aquilini on the Banner: "I think that's a cheap shot - no class. People that do that have too much time on their hands. He has a family, would you like to see your Husband or Father get hung out like that? No class."
Edit:

Ignore, apparently it was about the "Fire Benning" banner.
A direct shot at some of the idiots on HF.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If you read between the lines he's directly mocking Tant's giant gut
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

mr perfect wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:13 pm
Gotta have those career AHL runts for the PK y'know: How was the PK in the exhibition games you ask?
This is why I love this city - spend 3 years roasting Benning for signing elite PKers on a rebuilding team.

Trade them away, then roast the GM for having AHLers auditioning for the PK spots :lol:
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

ESQ wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:32 pm
mr perfect wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:13 pm
This is why I love this city - spend 3 years roasting Benning for signing elite PKers on a rebuilding team.

Trade them away, then roast the GM for having AHLers auditioning for the PK spots :lol:
Hey Cuz - I don't have a problem with them auditioning the AHL runts for the PK, what I don't like was after finding out they were the shits at doing the job they decide to keep them on the roster. If you look at the archives you won't find criticism of the Beagle signing by me, I know he was overpaid but was done as a placeholder to mentor the prospects. His contract was a year too long since entry level contracts last three years and management should have had his contract off the books by then. That's all I'll say about Beagle.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Rousell had a productive first year here, but he was never the same after injuries. I never had a problem with either signing, aside from the 4th year, but they were always clumped in with the Ericksson contract and will forever be since they were all dealt together.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I think the point here is that having good proven veterans, especially for the 3rd & 4th line center roles... are foundational.

Even if it seems like a huge overpay and your team is in the bottom half of the league, it helps protect your youth and prospects. You see it when you don't have them anymore or have a revolving cast of cheap placeholder replacements.

Green's old system does not make anyone's analytics look good. Watch the miraculous turnarounds of all those that got dumped to the Coyotes.

A healthy birdbones would make all the difference right now. Seriously. I would also take a Beagle at the same vet minimum over anything we have now.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:24 am
A healthy birdbones would make all the difference right now. Seriously. I would also take a Beagle at the same vet minimum over anything we have now.
Yup. Winning face offs vs other team's best centers, (lines) is paramount. I looked up ole Jay > LINK.and he's very good at his craft. I think the games played is screwy, none the less, that's impressive. He was too old though and he made too much so off to the Sahara he went. Too bad we lost the services of Manny. /We were under 37% last night. Long term, that wont cut it.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:24 am I think the point here is that having good proven veterans, especially for the 3rd & 4th line center roles... are foundational.

Even if it seems like a huge overpay and your team is in the bottom half of the league, it helps protect your youth and prospects. You see it when you don't have them anymore or have a revolving cast of cheap placeholder replacements.
How about - foundational on a young team, but a luxury on a good team?
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Good article on Noah Juulsen on the Abbotsford Canucks site. Very bullish on this player and the trade, Benning definitely made the best of a bad situation IMO and I think people will consider it a very solid win by season's end.

Ironically, the right side of D in Abby is their strength compared to the left, unlike the parent Canucks, with Juulsen, Woo, and Bowey. I actually thought Bowey deserved to start here, he looked good with Rathbone. All three of those guys and Keeper when he gets healthy could see some time in the show over the next year or so.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:03 pm Good article on Noah Juulsen on the Abbotsford Canucks site. Very bullish on this player and the trade, Benning definitely made the best of a bad situation IMO and I think people will consider it a very solid win by season's end.

Ironically, the right side of D in Abby is their strength compared to the left, unlike the parent Canucks, with Juulsen, Woo, and Bowey. I actually thought Bowey deserved to start here, he looked good with Rathbone. All three of those guys and Keeper when he gets healthy could see some time in the show over the next year or so.
I'm pretty happy with the new Burrows guy over on the right side. He looked like an NHL dman to me
If you need air...call it in