Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Drance seems to think the MacEwen maneuver was to maximize cap savings:
Thomas Drance
@ThomasDrance
MacEwen’s cap hit ($825k) is higher than most of Vancouver’s other depth forwards. Was presumably useful as the club moved the pieces around to maximize their LTI capture on Ferland, Keeper, Sutter.

https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status ... 02720?s=20
el rey del mambo
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/10/12/canu ... g6unX3ntZk

Nice article on our new player: Juho Lammiko. Sounds like he's a good defensive guy and can be a pesky player, but like J.Dicks, he's a bit weak in the faceoff dot. Hopefully he can improve there. Maybe, we have our next Esa Tikkanen/Jarko Ruutu. :D

I like the Olaf trade. He wasn't going to get a chance here and his value has gone downhill considerably. We traded one project for two. Lammiko should be able to step in and play well in the 4th line role and Juulsen is a local guy who might develop into a RS Jordie Benn. He fits a bottom pairing D-man much better than Olaf.
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:38 pm Yeah.. if MacEwen gets claimed off of waivers, I will be unimpressed. I could handle losing one of Gadjo OR MacEwen, losing both reduces organizational toughness.
Yeah, I like Big Mac too. It would suck to lose him as well. It was great to see our new Zac make our old Zack eat his lunch. Hopefully Big Mac clears. :D
Cornuck wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:23 am The Vancouver Canucks have agreed to terms with forward Alex Chiasson to a one-year contract valued at $750,000, the club announced Tuesday morning.
Chiasson kinda reminds me of another former Nuck who made the team as PTO, Adam Cracknell. Both have size, but are kinda slow. I didn't think Chiasson did much in the pre-season though, but he brings some size and experience I guess. I would have preferred to give Gadjo-Cop a chance as he's younger, but I'm open to see what Chiasson can do.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Curmudgeon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:26 pm Lol. I'd say Dowling's value is adequate as a 4th line temp at center, but I really didn't see that much there, and they need a little more size, heaviness, and physicality in their bottom six than what he brings. Now he'll move to the wing, I guess? I'd think Di Giuseppe and Lockwood would be far better fits for that role and, yes, even if you do send Lockwood down to work on a few things, the Di Giuseppe move makes little sense.

Do you think MacEwan was a Green guy? I never felt that way. Vesey was getting 15 minutes per game last season with no goals to show for his 20 games here, while MacEwan was getting just over half of that, which was a bit of a mystery.

It's going to be an interesting six game trip to start, that's for sure.
I think we're actually mostly agreeing here.

I did say that Dowling has been the best overall utility guy for a 4th line role with what he has shown and a decent placeholder to start the season with, due to his NHL experience. Nowhere did I imply he's good enough as a permanent solution. If he here playing every night, we're not making any progress.

As someone else pointed out, he can play center. With the uncertainty of Sutter and the Miller experiment seemingly shelved temporarily, either Dowling or Lammikko will be given a chance early. But I honestly believe Lockwood will be up here soon enough.

I feel DiGiuseppe had earned one of the 4th line winger spots over MacEwan, at least until Motte's return. But not sure why he was waived early.

I do think ZM is a Green guy. He's had him for so long and has kept him around even though he has underperformed and underwhelmed for so long. The other thing with Green though... if two guys are equally mediocre, he's shown he prefers to go with the vet. Thus Vesey, Sutter, Beagle, etc. It's like Clipboard's Mega Chaput love. Also, Feces was suppose to generate some offence, not so with Zack Mac, hence the minutes discrepancy.

I'm just hoping the team survives this first roadtrip with as little damage as possible.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:39 pm
I think we're actually mostly agreeing here.

I did say that Dowling has been the best overall utility guy for a 4th line role with what he has shown and a decent placeholder to start the season with, due to his NHL experience. Nowhere did I imply he's good enough as a permanent solution. If he here playing every night, we're not making any progress.

As someone else pointed out, he can play center. With the uncertainty of Sutter and the Miller experiment seemingly shelved temporarily, either Dowling or Lammikko will be given a chance early. But I honestly believe Lockwood will be up here soon enough.

I feel DiGiuseppe had earned one of the 4th line winger spots over MacEwan, at least until Motte's return. But not sure why he was waived early.

I do think ZM is a Green guy. He's had him for so long and has kept him around even though he has underperformed and underwhelmed for so long. The other thing with Green though... if two guys are equally mediocre, he's shown he prefers to go with the vet. Thus Vesey, Sutter, Beagle, etc. It's like Clipboard's Mega Chaput love. Also, Feces was suppose to generate some offence, not so with Zack Mac, hence the minutes discrepancy.

I'm just hoping the team survives this first roadtrip with as little damage as possible.
You bet, for sure, and I get what you're saying about Dowling and as a center it certainly makes sense. Lammikko really hustles and plays with some jam so him and Motte on the 4th line could be a real thing.

Detroit and Buffalo should be wins, almost must wins when you consider the rest of the trip. Have to admit I'm glad they're not playing Calgary, those games will take a physical toll with potential for injury and I'd rather not deal with that right out of the gate.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:54 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:52 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm Regardless of the issues with Hamonic why assume Benning SHOULD have known? How do you know that? What do you know that we dont know?

Sutter was apparently fine and skating up until mid August. Maybe he didn't tell anyone expecting he would get his wind and energy back and was trying to push through. But why assume that Benning SHOULD have known?

Benning has made his fair share of mistakes but to blame everything on him is just tiring to keep reading. And maybe Benning did know but was assured by both they would be ready for camp.

20-20 neither should have been signed.
Fair enough but after Hamonic already opted out of the restart with the Flames and then was actually on the COVID protocol list last season, wouldn't you assume the GM should have known if there was even the slightest risk of him not showing let alone it being "bigger" than what anyone thinks?

Same goes with Sutter, especially when you consider he's missed 40% of the team's games since he arrived here and his track record screams "if something's going to go wrong, it will be with this guy". The guy is a stiff and is jinxed.

But, yeah, maybe Benning did know and was assured they would be at camp. I'm not blaming Benning for everything, I think I've been more than fair with my comments on the job he's done over the 7 years, but there's not a lot of room for error when they're cap strapped and the COVID dynamic is in play and there appears to be a couple of errors in judgment along the way here.
I think you’re missing the context with hamonic, it’s nothing about him it’s about his kid, as in maybe her health has taken a turn for the worse. That’s something that could have happened suddenly without warning.
Actually that's why I mentioned the opting out, the situation with his daughter and family is the critical part of the equation as it should be, I respect the decision he made and would have done the same actually, but it's all the more reason you weigh the risk. Hamonic, whether people like it or not, has evolved into a pretty key guy for them, so it's a big loss they appear not quite prepared for. Like I said, I really like the guy.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC
PHI claims Zach MacEwen
11:02 AM · Oct 13, 202
So both Jonah Gadjovich and Zach MacEwen are out of our system. That is a shame, IMO. Either could have been legit call-ups for duty with the Main Canuck squad if injuries occurred.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:01 am
Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC
PHI claims Zach MacEwen
11:02 AM · Oct 13, 202
Wow, lost both Gajo and Mac. Not lots of toughness left to call up - hopefully our powerplay is lights out this year!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Team is softer than Gomer’s gut. Who will be around to pin opposing players?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I guess our system is so worthless, other teams keep taking our guys that we spent years developing to make room for a veteran castoff.

Guess it wouldn't be so bad if it made room for better vets than old, slow and weak castoffs like Chase On and Pet an.
Last edited by Carl Yagro on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:09 am Team is softer than Gomer’s gut. Who will be around to pin opposing players?
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Oilers Oct 13/21 7:00 PM. SN

Post by theman »

Not directly appropriate for this thread but MacEwan has been claimed by Philly, let the outrage commence.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Oilers Oct 13/21 7:00 PM. SN

Post by Carl Yagro »

I think it's now known as losing one's shit...

Hope SJ and PHI can do something with our garbage. Good luck with your new teams guys.

I wonder if Canucks media and twitterverse have saved a few BenningBullets for Travis-ty Green? Nah.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

A quick look on Hockey Reference and the Canucks have kept 7 players 5'10" or under, the most in the league, second is 4 with Detroit, Montreal, and Minnesota. The two time Stanley Cup champion Lightning have zero.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:11 am I guess our system is so worthless, other teams keep taking our guys that we spent years developing to make room for a veteran castoff.

Guess it wouldn't be so bad if it made room for better vets than old, slow and weak castoffs like Chase On and Pet an.
Petan will get waived when Brock is back.

Should have waived him now.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Curmudgeon wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:48 am A quick look on Hockey Reference and the Canucks have kept 7 players 5'10" or under, the most in the league, second is 4 with Detroit, Montreal, and Minnesota. The two time Stanley Cup champion Lightning have zero.
It’s like they are so worried about making playoffs, they don’t realize we will be sunk once (if) we get there.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.