Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Curmudgeon »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:38 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:25 pm
Cornuck wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:23 am The Vancouver Canucks have agreed to terms with forward Alex Chiasson to a one-year contract valued at $750,000, the club announced Tuesday morning.
The ZERO goals and two measly points while playing a regular shift on the top two lines and first PP unit in four preseason games must have really impressed the coach.
Yeah.. if MacEwen gets claimed off of waivers, I will be unimpressed. I could handle losing one of Gadjo OR MacEwen, losing both reduces organizational toughness.
I couldn't agree more, teams like the Flames are going to really abuse them. Just wait until a Miller or Horvat has to step up because other than Schenn there's nobody else and one of them gets hurt in the process.

Gadjovich was drafted in the 2nd round as a tough power forward who protected his teammates and had soft hands and a big presence around the net who needed to improve his skating. He developed and did all that and delivered on improving his skating, and they lose him on waivers in favour of other team's castoffs and scraps like Chiasson, Dowling, and Petan? That's an organizational embarrassment.

Then they send down guys like Lockwood, who's the last man standing from the 2016 draft after the team finished 28th overall, and Di Guiseppe after both of them clearly outplayed Chiasson and Dowling by a very wide margin. I watched all the preseason games and there appears to be no plan or vision, some of the lines made no sense whatsoever, and the sooner they move on from the coach the better. The fact Newell Brown was the only casualty after last season, the sacrificial lamb so to speak, is a complete joke.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:05 am Anybody read that daily hive interview of benning where he said in regards to hamonic “it’s bigger than what you guys think it is”. That’s pretty telling, hopefully, he and his family are okay.
I like Hamonic but if it's that big Benning should have known prior to re-signing him. Same goes with Sutter and his longhauler issues but Sutter is a stiff anyway and they should have signed Khaira instead.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Regardless of the issues with Hamonic why assume Benning SHOULD have known? How do you know that? What do you know that we dont know?

Sutter was apparently fine and skating up until mid August. Maybe he didn't tell anyone expecting he would get his wind and energy back and was trying to push through. But why assume that Benning SHOULD have known?

Benning has made his fair share of mistakes but to blame everything on him is just tiring to keep reading. And maybe Benning did know but was assured by both they would be ready for camp.

20-20 neither should have been signed.
The only HW the Canucks need
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:59 pm The good thing about juulsen’s injuries are they haven’t inhibited his ability to skate. If he gets a full season in Abbotsford as the 1 rd he could get some of his confidence back rebound into an nhler.
You're right, check with most Habs fans and they thought quite highly of Juulsen before his eye and facial injuries. I always liked and kept checking in on him so pretty pleased with the trade for what it is. Lammikko will be a solid fit on the 4th line and on the pk. Both are 6'2" and around 200 lbs, and can play a physical game so it's an early "W" for Benning IMO.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Curmudgeon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 pm Gadjovich was drafted in the 2nd round as a tough power forward who protected his teammates and had soft hands and a big presence around the net who needed to improve his skating. He developed and did all that and delivered on improving his skating, and they lose him on waivers in favour of other team's castoffs and scraps like Chiasson, Dowling, and Petan? That's an organizational embarrassment.
Now now, you're going to be accused of losing your shit :wink:

One thing I'm going to slightly disagree with... Dowling has actually been the best overall utility guy for a 4th line role, with enough veteran-ess, speed, skills and IQ to play both regular minutes and PK. I'm not saying he is some elite 4th liner, but he has been better than most of the other scrubs and prospects. A decent placeholder to start the season with.

There's going to be a place for Lockwood. He needs to bring something else besides speed and enthusiasm. Being in Abby for part of the season at least, is a very good path for him. There's tons for him to still improve on. Just like Rathbone, he's not ready for an everyday NHL role yet.

Lastly, Di Giuseppe completely outplayed MacEwan... two guys with similar styles that were vying for the same role. But hey, Zack is his guy. That's Greener for ya. Of course, now he dumps his boy for a slug who feasted on the scraps of McJesus & Ze German.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm Regardless of the issues with Hamonic why assume Benning SHOULD have known? How do you know that? What do you know that we dont know?

Sutter was apparently fine and skating up until mid August. Maybe he didn't tell anyone expecting he would get his wind and energy back and was trying to push through. But why assume that Benning SHOULD have known?

Benning has made his fair share of mistakes but to blame everything on him is just tiring to keep reading. And maybe Benning did know but was assured by both they would be ready for camp.

Fair enough but after Hamonic already opted out of the restart with the Flames and then was actually on the COVID protocol list last season, wouldn't you assume the GM should have known if there was even the slightest risk of him not showing let alone it being "bigger" than what anyone thinks?

Same goes with Sutter, especially when you consider he's missed 40% of the team's games since he arrived here and his track record screams "if something's going to go wrong, it will be with this guy". The guy is a stiff and is jinxed.

But, yeah, maybe Benning did know and was assured they would be at camp. I'm not blaming Benning for everything, I think I've been more than fair with my comments on the job he's done over the 7 years, but there's not a lot of room for error when they're cap strapped and the COVID dynamic is in play and there appears to be a couple of errors in judgment along the way here.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:39 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 pm Gadjovich was drafted in the 2nd round as a tough power forward who protected his teammates and had soft hands and a big presence around the net who needed to improve his skating. He developed and did all that and delivered on improving his skating, and they lose him on waivers in favour of other team's castoffs and scraps like Chiasson, Dowling, and Petan? That's an organizational embarrassment.

One thing I'm going to slightly disagree with... Dowling has actually been the best overall utility guy for a 4th line role, with enough veteran-ess, speed, skills and IQ to play both regular minutes and PK. I'm not saying he is some elite 4th liner, but he has been better than most of the other scrubs and prospects. A decent placeholder to start the season with.

There's going to be a place for Lockwood. He needs to bring something else besides speed and enthusiasm. Being in Abby for part of the season at least, is a very good path for him. There's tons for him to still improve on. Just like Rathbone, he's not ready for an everyday NHL role yet.

Lastly, Di Giuseppe completely outplayed MacEwan... two guys with similar styles that were vying for the same role. But hey, Zack is his guy. That's Greener for ya. Of course, now he dumps his boy for a slug who feasted on the scraps of McJesus & Ze German.
I honestly thought Highmore would lose his spot to Di Giuseppe, and Petan would be sent to Abby and one of Gadjo or MacEwen would be up. Dowling is the Swiss Army knife who showed well, and we would have some toughness.

Now……? I am perplexed.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Calgary is going to push this team around every game.
They need Gino back, amirite Donny?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:59 pm

I honestly thought Highmore would lose his spot to Di Giuseppe, and Petan would be sent to Abby and one of Gadjo or MacEwen would be up. Dowling is the Swiss Army knife who showed well, and we would have some toughness.

Now……? I am perplexed.
Why does nothing go the way WE planned…?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Lol. I'd say Dowling's value is adequate as a 4th line temp at center, but I really didn't see that much there, and they need a little more size, heaviness, and physicality in their bottom six than what he brings. Now he'll move to the wing, I guess? I'd think Di Giuseppe and Lockwood would be far better fits for that role and, yes, even if you do send Lockwood down to work on a few things, the Di Giuseppe move makes little sense.

Do you think MacEwan was a Green guy? I never felt that way. Vesey was getting 15 minutes per game last season with no goals to show for his 20 games here, while MacEwan was getting just over half of that, which was a bit of a mystery.

It's going to be an interesting six game trip to start, that's for sure.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Green is that guy in the showers with the micropenis sneaking peeks at all the bigger dongs then taking out his frustrations on his more endowed underlings.

Feces must have had a teenie weenie
If you need air...call it in
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Curmudgeon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:52 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm Regardless of the issues with Hamonic why assume Benning SHOULD have known? How do you know that? What do you know that we dont know?

Fair enough but after Hamonic already opted out of the restart with the Flames and then was actually on the COVID protocol list last season, wouldn't you assume the GM should have known if there was even the slightest risk of him not showing let alone it being "bigger" than what anyone thinks?

Same goes with Sutter, especially when you consider he's missed 40% of the team's games since he arrived here and his track record screams "if something's going to go wrong, it will be with this guy". The guy is a stiff and is jinxed.

But, yeah, maybe Benning did know and was assured they would be at camp. I'm not blaming Benning for everything, I think I've been more than fair with my comments on the job he's done over the 7 years, but there's not a lot of room for error when they're cap strapped and the COVID dynamic is in play and there appears to be a couple of errors in judgment along the way here.
I think you’re missing the context with hamonic, it’s nothing about him it’s about his kid, as in maybe her health has taken a turn for the worse. That’s something that could have happened suddenly without warning.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:37 pm Green is that guy in the showers with the micropenis sneaking peeks at all the bigger dongs then taking out his frustrations on his more endowed underlings.

Feces must have had a teenie weenie
Why did I suddenly get Ace Ventura vibes when reading this ?
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:54 pm I think you’re missing the context with hamonic, it’s nothing about him it’s about his kid, as in maybe her health has taken a turn for the worse. That’s something that could have happened suddenly without warning.
I hate to say it but this is really the only thing that it could be. It's "really big" and may be just a matter of time. If so, it's incredibly sad and I can understand the intense privacy over this.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

rats19 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:10 pm Why does nothing go the way WE planned…?
I know, right?

Why don't our suggestions or opinions matter?

:scowl: :lol:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!