Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:30 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:35 am
If Myers is your top RD the team is likely not much more than a playoff team. He was behind Fugly and Trouba in Winnipeg on a solid team
Would you trade Myers with $6x3 remaining for Trouba with $8x5 remaining?

Trouba had one crazy 50-point season while playing for a trade and a yuge contract, but other than that he's been an average D in all areas and is now making top-D money. The years he played the biggest role in Winnipeg, the Jets were not a playoff team.
I probably wouldn’t. I was never a huge Trouba fan. I’m not a huge Myers fan either but he isn’t as bad as some make him out to be. But if he’s your top right D, that’s not saying much. He fills a hole here for a bit too much money for my liking but he’s not a garbage can.

Trouba was only top dog when Fugly was hurt but both were ahead of Myers.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:34 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:35 am
ESQ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:08 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:41 pm . He’s no Salo, he’s no Bieksa, he’s no Tanev but he’s pretty much the best they have on that side. He’s somewhat physical, makes a decent first pass and can shoot the puck. Comparing him to Eriksson isn’t cool though.
Well, I agree with you that he's a weird hybrid of those three players. Not as good all-around as salo, but healthier and more physical. Not as physical as Bxa, but better all-around. Not as good all-around as Tanev, but waaaay healthier and more physical in the playoffs.

Its hard to put a price tag on a player like that - Jack of all trades, master of none - but I'm fine with paying a premium for right-shot, for size, for durability, and for good term through his peak years.

A million miles from LouI.

Again, we can go bargain-basement route or bank on Tanev being healthy, but next thing you know Ben Hutton is playing 25 minutes a night and we're all bemoaning the lack of depth.

Myers to age 32 for $6m as the top RD is not a problem, and will not be a problem.

Also I made a mistake, he only signed v$6x5 years - genius!
If Myers is your top RD the team is likely not much more than a playoff team. He was behind Fugly and Trouba in Winnipeg on a solid team
Conversely if most of your talent is on LD, you don't need top tier all-star right side dmen, you just need a supporting cast ala Tampa Bay Lightning styles, where they had 31 year old Jan Rutta on their top pairing, where he averages 7, 8 points a season.
Erik Cernak who averages about 12 points a season.
And they traded a 1st+3rd for a rental in Savard who now is basically a defensive dman.

At least Myers can average about 20-30 points, while he and Hamonic are the teams leading shot blockers.
Cernak is their top RH D man and plays 20 min a night. Sure he’s a defensive D but he just got 18 points in 46 games- basically pacing for 30points. He doesn’t get PP time as it goes to Hedman and Sergachev. Cernak is a way better player than Myers. Not even close.

Rutta averaged 16 min a game and Serg plays both sides.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:45 am Trouba was only top dog when Fugly was hurt but both were ahead of Myers.
True, but Myers still averaged close to 22 minutes per game over his 5 years on that team.

The three of them dominated in the time-on-ice department, with Big Buff obviously being the beast....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:51 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:45 am Trouba was only top dog when Fugly was hurt but both were ahead of Myers.
True, but Myers still averaged close to 22 minutes per game over his 5 years on that team.

The three of them dominated in the time-on-ice department, with Big Buff obviously being the beast....
Yep… Myers got his ice time for sure. All three did. I think they each would miss ten or twenty games in a given season and the two healthy ones would get loads of ice time to compensate for the injured guy when he was out. It’s odd because all three were well over 20 min a night. And all three could and did play both special teams.

As I said I think Myers is fine if he’s maybe your fourth best D man and 2nd bestRH option- overpaid but not a slug like some suggest. But I have my doubts you’d want him as your #1 RH guy for more than a few games if you have aspirations of being a good hockey team.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:52 am
SKYO wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:34 am
Conversely if most of your talent is on LD, you don't need top tier all-star right side dmen, you just need a supporting cast ala Tampa Bay Lightning styles, where they had 31 year old Jan Rutta on their top pairing, where he averages 7, 8 points a season.
Erik Cernak who averages about 12 points a season.
And they traded a 1st+3rd for a rental in Savard who now is basically a defensive dman.

At least Myers can average about 20-30 points, while he and Hamonic are the teams leading shot blockers.
Cernak is their top RH D man and plays 20 min a night. Sure he’s a defensive D but he just got 18 points in 46 games- basically pacing for 30points. He doesn’t get PP time as it goes to Hedman and Sergachev. Cernak is a way better player than Myers. Not even close.

Rutta averaged 16 min a game and Serg plays both sides.
Tough to say Cernak is the top RD when he hasn't averaged over 20 minutes, but he was #4 or #5 in ATOI on that stacked Lightning team - I think that's a fair reflection of his relative value as the 4th or 5th best dman on the team. He's certainly not some franchise cornerpiece stud dman blaster, and he's certainly not "way better" than Myers.

If Myers was on that Lightning team instead of Cernak, he'd be the 4th or 5th best Dman on that team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

IMHO he’s their second best D behind Big Vik. Maybe a dead heat with Sergachev for some, but not me, and just ahead of Mcdonaugh who’s had a great career. Cernak is a smothering, punishing defensive d man who can skate. He’s on an excellent contract that has two years to go at 2.95 cap hit and the Lightning still have another year of team control at the end of it.

He played 19:47 last year. One early exit in a game could easily skew his ice time below 20 min. He gets no PP time at all. Oddly enough he’s over 20 minutes in the playoffs over 50 games and just put up 10 points in 21 games. He plays a lot with Hedman and Mcdonaugh usually against the other teams best players. Sergachev doesn’t get nearly the type of matchups the other guys do but he has some offensive gifts.

The guy is a 24 year old kid. I take him over Myers all day every day. And he’s a physical beast to play against. He hits to hurt.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

So were these signings confirmed anywhere reliable? 8x3 for Petey, and 8x8 for Hughes?

Or should I start talking about trout...
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm So were these signings confirmed anywhere reliable? 8x3 for Petey, and 8x8 for Hughes?

Trout you say?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

theman wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:37 pm
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm So were these signings confirmed anywhere reliable? 8x3 for Petey, and 8x8 for Hughes?

Trout you say?
Flaps :?:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Farmed or wild?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

I like salmon, but trout is pretty good too. I'd say I'd take fresh trout, over farmed salmon - but wild sockeye over fresh trout.

Wild Sockeye > Trout > Farmed Salmon

Some of the best Salmon fishing right next door in Alaska, just need to get those borders open.

Trout.

Salmon.

Trout.

Salmon.

Trout.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Two of the best players that the California/LA Angels ever had were named Salmon and Trout.

Geez, when does the season start again?

Is Tom Cook-ing salmon or trout? How about a follow-up on Petey & Hughes, Tom?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 pm IMHO he’s their second best D behind Big Vik. Maybe a dead heat with Sergachev for some, but not me, and just ahead of Mcdonaugh who’s had a great career. Cernak is a smothering, punishing defensive d man who can skate. He’s on an excellent contract that has two years to go at 2.95 cap hit and the Lightning still have another year of team control at the end of it.

He played 19:47 last year. One early exit in a game could easily skew his ice time below 20 min. He gets no PP time at all. Oddly enough he’s over 20 minutes in the playoffs over 50 games and just put up 10 points in 21 games. He plays a lot with Hedman and Mcdonaugh usually against the other teams best players. Sergachev doesn’t get nearly the type of matchups the other guys do but he has some offensive gifts.

The guy is a 24 year old kid. I take him over Myers all day every day. And he’s a physical beast to play against. He hits to hurt.
Usually when the team's 2nd-best Dman is a righty, he plays the second-most minutes on the team. Cernak was #4 for ES TOI, and #3 for SH TOI, and as you say no PP TOI.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:50 pm Two of the best players that the California/LA Angels ever had were named Salmon and Trout.

Geez, when does the season start again?

Is Tom Cook-ing salmon or trout? How about a follow-up on Petey & Hughes, Tom?
Apparently he's cooking up some bullshit - was looking at his twitter feed, and the fucker thinks Nunavut is in Alaska.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:50 pm Two of the best players that the California/LA Angels ever had were named Salmon and Trout.
Tim and Mike yes, you have a good deal of baseball knowledge for a guy that doesn't like baseball..
DeLevering since 1999.