Beijing 2022 Canadian Roster

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Beijing 2022 Canadian Roster

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What will it look like? Anything less than a gold is a massive disappointment even though some other countries have closed the gap. Canada’s forwards are head and shoulders better than any other teams. It really isn’t close. That said I believe the US may have a slightly better D and goaltending is a wildcard for sure. Sweden looks like they will have a damn good team too.

Marchand Crosby Bergeron
McDavid Mackinnon Marner
Huberdeau Point Scheifele
Couturier ROR Stone
Barzal Tavares

Theodore Pietrangelo
Chabot Makar
Chychrun Doughty
Hamilton Ekblad/Reilley

Price
Kuemper
Fleury/Blackwood

I see little chance of a guy like Bo Horvat cracking the roster unless there’s some significant injuries. I still don’t like the LD after Chabot and I’m not sure about the three M’s playing on the same line. They all want the puck on their stick. Steven Stamkos is another guy who should get consideration. I forgot about Jacob Chychrun- he’s a better player than Reilley and really solidifies that bottom pair.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Beijing 2022 Canadian Roster

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:26 am What will it look like? Anything less than a good is a massive disappointment even though some other countries have closed the gap. Canada’s forwards are head and shoulders better than any other teams. It really isn’t close. That said I believe the US may have a slightly better D and goaltending is a wildcard for sure. Sweden looks like they will have a damn good team too.

Marchand Crosby Bergeron
McDavid Mackinnon Marner
Couturier ROR Stone
Barzal Tavares

Theodore Pietrangelo
Chabot Makar
Reilley Doughty
Hamilton Ekblad

Price
Kuemper
Fleury/Blackwood

I see little chance of a guy like Bo Horvat cracking the roster unless there’s some significant injuries. I still don’t like the LD after Chabot and I’m not sure about the three M’s playing on the same line. They all want the puck on their stick.
While I like a ‘good’ as well, I think these boys will be playing for a ‘Gold’ :D

And yeah, No Canucks on team Canada.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I honestly don’t think any Canucks could crack the Canadian roster regardless of nationality. Maybe Petey… perhaps. Guys like Miller and Boeser who are locks for the US wouldn’t get a sniff of making that forward group.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:26 am
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
McDavid Mackinnon Marner
Couturier ROR Stone
Barzal Tavares

Theodore Pietrangelo
Chabot Makar
Reilley Doughty
Hamilton Ekblad

Price
Kuemper
Fleury/Blackwood
Goaltending is the only weak link
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:32 am I honestly don’t think any Canucks could crack the Canadian roster regardless of nationality. Maybe Petey… perhaps. Guys like Miller and Boeser who are locks for the US wouldn’t get a sniff of making that forward group.
Boeser would get a sniff. One of the best shots in the league. If he was Canadian, he could supplant two or three of them old guys you have on your list.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:47 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:32 am I honestly don’t think any Canucks could crack the Canadian roster regardless of nationality. Maybe Petey… perhaps. Guys like Miller and Boeser who are locks for the US wouldn’t get a sniff of making that forward group.
Boeser would get a sniff. One of the best shots in the league. If he was Canadian, he could supplant two or three of them old guys you have on your list.
I doubt that. Those old guys are dominant 2 way players while BB is pretty well offense only
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:47 am
Who exactly would he knock out of there? That fourth line is elite two way players. He ain’t sniffing the top six -full stop. So you think he beats out Scheifele must be what you are saying. I don’t think so Gomes. Huberdeau is the best playmaker among wingers in the game, next to Marner. I look at the American forwards which are good and could only see Mathews, Kane and a healthy Eichel making that Canadian roster.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Might be time for Crosby to hand over the torch on Team Canada to McDavid for #1C.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:38 am Might be time for Crosby to hand over the torch on Team Canada to McDavid for #1C.
This tournament will determine that.

But Sid is a proven, clutch winner.. McJesus has done nothing so far in his career. Worst thing for a Canucks fan is if Sid teaches Mcdavid how to actually win, and what it takes.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:42 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:26 am
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
McDavid Mackinnon Marner
Couturier ROR Stone
Barzal Tavares

Theodore Pietrangelo
Chabot Makar
Reilley Doughty
Hamilton Ekblad

Price
Kuemper
Fleury/Blackwood
Goaltending is the only weak link
Can you believe in 2010 they had Brodeur, Luongo, Price?!

That's also a strikingly young D.

Crazy that MacKinnon, Stamkos and McDavid haven't played in an Olympics yet, despite 27 years NHL experience between them.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pelech and Pulock are another couple guys to consider for the D. Much like 2014, the other teams may struggle to touch the puck vs Canada. They put on a clinic in Sochi. It almost wasn’t fair. However it was nice seeing Ryan Kesler do what he does best - cry and lose.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:05 am
SKYO wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:38 am Might be time for Crosby to hand over the torch on Team Canada to McDavid for #1C.

But Sid is a proven, clutch winner.. McJesus has done nothing so far in his career. Worst thing for a Canucks fan is if Sid teaches Mcdavid how to actually win, and what it takes.
Well McJesus is on Edmonton, so his best hope for a win is on TC.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:45 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:05 am

Well McJesus is on Edmonton, so his best hope for a win is on TC.
An interesting thought Skyo, but do you want a top center who doesn't use his wingers in a tournament like this?

I would argue that in a super-team scenario, the only way to lose is players doing too much individually, and until proven otherwise that'll be the knock on McGoof.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Imagine a PP with McJesus, Crosby, Mackinnon, Marner and Makar.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:58 am Imagine a PP with McJesus, Crosby, Mackinnon, Marner and Makar.
Why Marner though? Hes a choker