We Need A Trade!!!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ilevakam
CC Veteran

We Need A Trade!!!

Post by Ilevakam »

I know this is on everyones mind so I thought I would start a thread. The canucks desperately need to find a forward with finish. I am sure we are all sick of this only putting the puck in the net only every 15 shots. It is going to take a lot more than this to shake me off of the Canucks, but I am tired of being hurt over this team.

Cooke, Morrison and Chouinard all need to go. All three are grossly overpaid and will continue to be for another year after this, c'mon Nonis, get someone worthy. I need to see a trade by January or I just may end up in jail.

On a brigther note I read that the NHL announced that next years cap may raise up to 47.5 mil or just 46. Those overpaid forwards who will need resigning ie. Kesler, Bulis (god forbid he even comes back) will renegotiate for smaller salaries which should leave room for approximatley 6 mil (with 47.5 mil contract, and including cooke and morrison still here) for the pay raise of Salo and the signing of another superstar.
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

I'm with you completely. I think the problem is no one wants our under achieving, overpaid forwards. Personally I'd be fine with trading them for some other overpaid underachiever on the gamble they might be able to score. I mean its hard to imagine they'd be putting up less points than our paltry offense. We must have the lowest shooting percentage in the history of the game.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

If a trade can't be made, why not put Chouinard and Bulis on waivers?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Linden Is God wrote:If a trade can't be made, why not put Chouinard and Bulis on waivers?
The Canucks can put them on waivers but they're unlikely to be picked up, and they can be sent them. That would clear cap space, but still creates two problems: who's going to replace them, i.e., can the cap space saved be used effectively? Is the team or owner rich enough to have a couple of millionnaires playing for the Moose?
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Linden Is God wrote:If a trade can't be made, why not put Chouinard and Bulis on waivers?
I agree, can't see the harm. Although, unless we make a trade, would we really rather have two Moose up with us instead? Maybe, it's a toss up, which is pretty sad. I want Bulis gone so bad, even when he gets a chance to step it up he consistantly shits the bed. Makes me seriously question our pro scouts!

I've still got my fingers crossed for a Forsberg deal :)
Bill Laforge
CC Rookie

Post by Bill Laforge »

The waiver route is the way to go. dump some and then add the required personnel. The following players should be waived or traded ASAP due lack of performance and lack of upside: Linden, Bulis, Cooke and Santala. Mo costs too much to waive and I doubt we could move him anyways. If it is not in the cards this year we have to start to look to the future. Clearly, the above mentioned players have nothing to do with the future of the team.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Don't waive Linden, and don't waive Cooke. Cooke at least has some value and can be traded and Linden, well thats just not the way to handle the face of your franchise for the past 15 years. It's not his fault we're doing so poorly, He was never meant to be more then a 3rd/4th line player. Santala I agree should be cut, and Bulis. Chouinard is expensive for what he brings, but at least he brings something.
the_bad_fish
AHL Prospect

Post by the_bad_fish »

Badfish, (other badfish) I must ask, I know this is off topic, but what is your lumber jack logo from. I've always liked the idea of the Canucks going to a pissed off lumber jack. So where did you get it
the_bad_fish
AHL Prospect

Post by the_bad_fish »

Badfish, (other badfish) I must ask, I know this is off topic, but what is your lumber jack logo from. I've always liked the idea of the Canucks going to a pissed off lumber jack. So where did you get it
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

The problem with trading guys like Mo, Chouinard and Bulis is they fall into the category of 'guys contenders pick up at the deadline for the playoffs'. The only way any of those guys look any way attractive is if another team needs a smallish skill forward whose recovery from abdominal surgery is suspect, a lazy-ass checker-who-thinks-he's-a-rusher, or a face-off guy who hasn't really owned the face-off circle this year. Any takers? The only bright spot about them is they aren't painfully slow (although Chouinard will never outskate anyone).

The only way these guys get moved before the deadline is if the other team takes them to save Nonis some cap space for the players going the other way. The marquee players in any discussion now may be prospects like Schneider and Bourdon as opposed to Mo or Bulis.

As for waiving Bulis and Chouinard, I'm not sure, but I think their salaries would still count against the cap. If not, then why were the Devils dancing through the streets when they got relief from Mogilny's salary, despite the fact he was playing in the A last year?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Once Salo is healthy again, I think he should be on the block (especially in light of how Edler has played). I say this, not because I want him to go (I like him in the lineup), but we're not going to be able to resign him next year AND he's somewhat marketable. Package in a Cooke or Morrison, throw in Santala and/or Choinard and Bulis,we might be able to make a move (or three) that will help us out now, and in the long run.

Has anyone heard how Grabner is progressing?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Lancer wrote:if another team needs a smallish skill forward whose recovery from abdominal surgery is suspect, a lazy-ass checker-who-thinks-he's-a-rusher, or a face-off guy who hasn't really owned the face-off circle this year. Any takers?
And that is the horrible truth we all must face. How would you like to be Nonis shopping those guys around?
Last edited by Cornuck on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I want Bulis gone so bad, even when he gets a chance to step it up he consistantly shits the bed. Makes me seriously question our pro scouts!
Thats a pretty key statement there ... pro-scouts, minor-scouts ... any-scouts ... we aren't deep in our organization and alot can be attributed to precisely that.

Good teams acquire players through trade and in the "old" NHL through the purchase of a top player, however one constant underlying factor a good team usually has is a consistent pool of younger players coming up through the system that can contribute to the big team. Once again and being very repetitive ... we have not ever really had that.

Grizz
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Cornuck wrote:
Lancer wrote:if another team needs a smallish skill forward whose recovery from abdominal surgery is suspect, a lazy-ass checker-who-thinks-he's-a-rusher, or a face-off guy who hasn't really owned the face-off circle this year. Any takers?
And that is the horrible truth we all must face. How would you like to be Nonis shopping those guys around?
Other than players of similar calibre or a later draft pick I think that is what we are facing. I see a rebuild mode here for a few years.

Grizz
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Lancer wrote:As for waiving Bulis and Chouinard, I'm not sure, but I think their salaries would still count against the cap. If not, then why were the Devils dancing through the streets when they got relief from Mogilny's salary, despite the fact he was playing in the A last year?
The Mogilny and Malakov cases were different, because it's a special rule in the CBA that doesn't apply to Bulis and Choinard. The rule is that, if a player signs a multi-year contract at the age of 35 years or older, in the 2nd and subsequent years (if any, until the end of the contract), the team takes a cap hit regardless of whether and where the player plays.