We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by BCExpat »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:41 am
BCExpat wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:43 am This guy is a Calgary street preacher - and a complete asshole. I always saw him spouting off his bullshit on the street when I worked in downtown Calgary. I hope they deport the fucker. But, on this point, he's right.
Does he preach 'the end is near' and shit? :drink:

Fire and brimstone?

Advocate for the homeless?

He has me intrigued. :D
You know this guy :lol:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Old folks and Indians make terrific guinea

Can we call you lab_rats19?
Last edited by Topper on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:35 pm I had a conversation with an acquaintance in the public health sector about 20 years ago. I was trying to make a simple the simple point that if we could extend life expectancy or reduce risks all the way up to spending 100% of the nation's GDP, we wouldn't do it. Because there's more to life. She stared at me blankly. Public health is everything, right?

It doesn't take a conspiracy to notice that there are tradeoffs in all of the policy & enforcement. There are lines we wouldn't go past to have a marginal risk reduction on something something that isn't going to wipe out the human race (or anything close to that). Our lines are different, but they are there.
I agree with you on that UW, and I personally expect restrictions to be eased well before reaching herd immunity, notwithstanding the variants. I was referring to Mëds' suggestion of the pandemic being a ruse for the government(s) to put in place measures to control and watch it's population.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have no doubt our governments are taking full advantage of the pandemic to increase their reach into private lives and will do their best to keep that in place.

BC PHO published new guidelines for schools on March 30, our local school board sent all parents letters with much stricter measures. They did a copy paste job from the BC CDC, them changed the wording ever so slightly and insidiously.

"Should" became "will", " may" became "must"

Stay vigilant.

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Per wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:51 am Well, for a disorganised country like the USA that doesn't even have complete nationwide birth and death registers, or universal healthcare, and where you actually have to register even for a basic thing like voting - sure.
Per, perhaps one day you might see that the relative "disorganization" of the United States is a feature, not a bug.
Per wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:51 am The goal should of course be to eventually remove all restrictions, but for an interrim period, until we have reached herd immunity, this could be a start that could be a life saver for the restaurants, hotels, sports teams and the entertainment industry, while not leading to yet another surge in covid cases.
Deconstructed, that sentence means "the goal is to reach herd immunity, then we can remove all restrictions." Question -- if the virus continues to evolve and looks like the flu in the future, where a vaccine is annual and whose efficacy has a great degree of variation based on how well the vaccine makers predicted which strains would predominate -- in other words, a situation where herd immunity never truly exists -- would you still advocate for restrictions?
Hono_rary Canadian
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Topper wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:23 am Old folks and Indians make terrific guinea

Yeah, long term effects don't instill the same fear into old folks as they do for the young whipper snappers. :drink: ;)
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:23 am Old folks and Indians make terrific guinea

Not yet 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

The CDC just issued a travel warning to Canada :(

Eric Feigl-Ding
@DrEricDing
BREAKING—wow,
@CDCgov has just issued a Level 4 “Very high” warning against all travel to Canada.

“Travellers should avoid all travel to Canada. Because of the current situation in Canada even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants”

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1 ... 65123?s=20
Last edited by Megaterio Llamas on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Getting my pfizer or moderna shot next week.

I'm getting it as I already had covid-19 in October, fuck that was horrible, it's like the flu just 4x worse and it takes a couple months after to regain your energy, nevermind the long-term effects they are still studying.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I registered for it this morning. I tried online registration but the system was messed up and wouldn't accept my health care number. So I phoned them and same problem but after about fifteen minutes waiting on the phone while dude talked to management they put it through anyway. Apparently this has been a problem since they changed their software program a few days ago.
el rey del mambo
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm getting my 2nd (Moderna) in 2 weeks. Lucked into a shot a Walmart of all places last month.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:48 am I'm getting my 2nd (Moderna) in 2 weeks. Lucked into a shot a Walmart of all places last month.
:thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:48 am I'm getting my 2nd (Moderna) in 2 weeks. Lucked into a shot a Walmart of all places last month.
Nice, seems some people who just walk up to pharmacy in a store might get a lucky dosage, like this lady who was just getting her groceries at the Real Canadian Superstore, and she got her first shot!
she went by the pharmacy kiosk to ask about the process to get on the waitlist for the AstraZeneca vaccine.

“And she said to me, actually we had a no-show so you can get it now,” Leroux said.

“I said to myself, ‘I’m here, let’s do it.'”

Leroux said she had to show ID proving she was between the ages of 55 and 65 years old.

The pharmacist, she said, told her that any leftover doses are given out to people who are present and eligible at the end of the day.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7737514/covi ... c-walk-in/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

^ That's pretty much what happened for us - we went to see 'what the process was' and the pharmacist heard we were from 'out of town', so she asked if we wanted the shots today, since they had a couple left over. Hell yeah! No side affects from the first one at all. I've heard the 2nd can give some flu-like symptoms, but these can (potentially) be helped with some vitamin D and plenty of hydration before and after.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:58 am ^ That's pretty much what happened for us - we went to see 'what the process was' and the pharmacist heard we were from 'out of town', so she asked if we wanted the shots today, since they had a couple left over. Hell yeah! No side affects from the first one at all. I've heard the 2nd can give some flu-like symptoms, but these can (potentially) be helped with some vitamin D and plenty of hydration before and after.
Canada is delaying 2nd doses for 4 months after initial dose.