Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Where is Vlasic and E Karlsson on that list? Goalie Bob has been better lately but that’s a long contract.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:05 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:09 am When there was talk of Edmonton swapping little things for Lucic i figured Milan would've been the lesser of two weevils. Too bad they picked the other slug
I take little things is Eriksson? A swap of the 2 would have been nice, but Looch's extra year on his contract prob killed any realistic chance of getting a deal done. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel with Loui, won't be surprised if we buy him out in the off season. :P
The buyout adds an extra year of misery though, albeit at a much lower cost.

With a year left I'd rather just ride it out. Of course if it was up to me I would have tested his resolve with a trip or three to Utica long before now...
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:50 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:09 am When there was talk of Edmonton swapping little things for Lucic i figured Milan would've been the lesser of two weevils. Too bad they picked the other slug
I take little things is Eriksson? A swap of the 2 would have been nice, but Looch's extra year on his contract prob killed any realistic chance of getting a deal done. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel with Loui, won't be surprised if we buy him out in the off season. :P

With a year left I'd rather just ride it out. Of course if it was up to me I would have tested his resolve with a trip or three to Utica long before now...
Naw Eriksson is a no-brainer buyout, saves owners money, get $2m cap space next season.

I bet New York Islanders Anders Lee will be a good candidate for worst contract soon with his $7M for another 5 years, for a career 45ish pt guy who will be 31 in the summer, same with Philadelphia Flyers Kevin Hayes (40ish pt avg) with another 5 years left at $7.14M turning 29 in May. Two big brutes 6'3 and 6'5.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Naw Eriksson is a no-brainer buyout, saves owners money, get $2m cap space next season.

I bet New York Islanders Anders Lee will be a good candidate for worst contract soon with his $7M for another 5 years, for a career 45ish pt guy who will be 31 in the summer, same with Philadelphia Flyers Kevin Hayes (40ish pt avg) with another 5 years left at $7.14M turning 29 in May. Two big brutes 6'3 and 6'5.
How do the owners save money? It’s a guaranteed contract so he gets all of it or am I incorrect?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

2Fingers wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:18 pm

How do the owners save money? It’s a guaranteed contract so he gets all of it or am I incorrect?
There is no savings for the owners.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Yes there is.
CF:
Teams are permitted to buyout a players contract to obtain a reduced salary cap hit over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The buyout amount is a function of the players age at the time of the buyout, and are as follows:
1/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is younger than 26 at the time of the buyout
2/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is 26 or older at the time of the buyout

As explained above, the buyout is spread out over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.

The buyout is spread out over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The team still takes a caphit, and the caphit by year is calculated as follows:

-Multiply the remaining salary (excluding signing bonuses) by the buyout amount (as determined by age) to obtain the total buyout cost
-Spread the total buyout cost evenly over twice the remaining contract years
-Determine the savings by subtracting the annual buyout cost from Step 2. by the players salary (excluding signing bonuses)
-Determine the remaining caphit by subtracting the savings from Step 3. by the players Annual Average Salary (AAV) (including signing bonuses)
LE fits in the 2/3rds of the remaining contract value.

Eriksson buyout in the offseason:
Base salary remaining: $3M. Bonus $1M. Yrs Remaining 1yr, buyout length 2yrs, buyout ratio 2/3. total cost $2M, total savings $1M.

Team Cap hit cost $4M for 2021/22, $1M in 2022.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:26 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Yes there is.
CF:
Teams are permitted to buyout a players contract to obtain a reduced salary cap hit over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The buyout amount is a function of the players age at the time of the buyout, and are as follows:
1/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is younger than 26 at the time of the buyout
2/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is 26 or older at the time of the buyout

As explained above, the buyout is spread out over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.

The buyout is spread out over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The team still takes a caphit, and the caphit by year is calculated as follows:

-Multiply the remaining salary (excluding signing bonuses) by the buyout amount (as determined by age) to obtain the total buyout cost
-Spread the total buyout cost evenly over twice the remaining contract years
-Determine the savings by subtracting the annual buyout cost from Step 2. by the players salary (excluding signing bonuses)
-Determine the remaining caphit by subtracting the savings from Step 3. by the players Annual Average Salary (AAV) (including signing bonuses)

Base salary remaining: $3M. Bonus $1M. Yrs Remaining 1yr, buyout length 2yrs, buyout ratio 2/3. total cost $2M, total savings $1M.

Huh.

I thought the player always got the money he signed for, but the cap hit was recalculated.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:37 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:26 pm
CF:

Huh.

I thought the player always got the money he signed for, but the cap hit was recalculated.
No it's just a players bonuses that they will get, buyout or no buyout, that's why agents gun for those more often now, as their salary could get reduced by a 1/3 or even 2/3rds with a buyout.
With teams becoming more and more willing to use buyouts to rid themselves of the horrible contracts that they sign on July 1st – famously a day of simultaneous excitement and regret – agents around the league needed to find a way to protect their clients from losing out on a third (or sometimes two-thirds) of the salary the sides agreed on.

Enter the signing bonus, this summer’s contract-du-jour. All across the league, big name free agents have inked deals that will see them paid almost entirely in signing bonuses, with very little actual salary being given out each season.
The NHL probably wants to implement a rule that would make signing bonuses only be able to hit a certain percentage of each season’s salary would be the easy fix, but expect push-back from the NHLPA.
Eriksson had a buyout proof contract with his salary bonuses, making it impossible to save money/cap with a buyout - all until this gloriful day this offseason lol in his final year of his contract so he made almost his full contract. Had he played better, with his lower salary/high cap he would have been an ok pickup for a flat cap team/cheap owner, but LE's play dropped dramatically into a glorified two-way checker who doesn't hit.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/07 ... tract.html
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jared McCann with 12 points in his last 12 games.

Chef.... your thoughts?
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:38 am Jared McCann with 12 points in his last 12 games.

Chef.... your thoughts?
Would be a nice 3rd line fit down the middle back here.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:21 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:38 am Jared McCann with 12 points in his last 12 games.

Chef.... your thoughts?
Or even on the wing. He can play both positions.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

I dunno. We only really save $875,000 in cap room in 21/22, as we save $1,125,000 with him on the AHL bus next year. And, the buy-out costs us $1million in cap the year after. So, buying him out gains us room next year (an additional $875k), but costs us more the year after. Tough call, but we likely really need the extra 875 of cap room next year.

Regardless, I still think he should be bought out. Aquaman saves $1 million in cash, and it sends the right signal to the group that the team is not going to drag around dead weight forever (*cough* Rooster and Beagle *cough*)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:31 am

Chef.... your thoughts?
He's a pretty versatile player.

Did you ever consider "Vic Ferrari"?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:31 am

Chef.... your thoughts?
The guy has got to play with two quality teams. Now Florida is leading the league. Can't believe I liked the trade the Canucks made at the time.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:48 am
I dunno. We only really save $875,000 in cap room in 21/22, as we save $1,125,000 with him on the AHL bus next year. And, the buy-out costs us $1million in cap the year after. So, buying him out gains us room next year (an additional $875k), but costs us more the year after. Tough call, but we likely really need the extra 875 of cap room next year.

Regardless, I still think he should be bought out. Aquaman saves $1 million in cash, and it sends the right signal to the group that the team is not going to drag around dead weight forever (*cough* Rooster and Beagle *cough*)
Yes just to get rid of him off the roster would be great, the distraction of a $6M player not playing will be GONE!! woot woot!