Dancin' Anson's new low tonight

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Dancin' Anson's new low tonight

Post by Larry Goodenough »

4:10 of icetime, no points, no shots, 1 takeaway, 1 blocked shot.

Jody Shelley got 4:03 of icetime - looks like Anson has been relegated to the 4th line with the goon and gets 2 shifts a period.

On the bright side for Anson - he got $7,625 per minute. If they ever let him play all 60 minutes at that rate, he would be in line for $457,500 an hour.

But can he buy legitimacy with the money?
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

But can he buy legitimacy with the money?

How about a big dunce cap to wear for not taking the pay cut to play with the Sedins? :lol:
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

randymeeks wrote:How about a big dunce cap to wear for not taking the pay cut to play with the Sedins? :lol:

Geez yeah, 100% more money, how could he live? With himself, it's fairly obvious. :roll:
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

Can we confidently say that it was the Sedins that made Carter break out last year?

Anson has skills but I saw so many tap-ins and fantastic passes by the twins last year, you can see that with Pyatt they are doing the same thing this year!
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

randymeeks wrote:
How about a big dunce cap to wear for not taking the pay cut to play with the Sedins?

Geez yeah, 100% more money, how could he live? With himself, it's fairly obvious.

He may have gotten more money in the short term but it's going to cost him far more in the long-term. I firmly believe he would have gotten the longer term big money contract he was seeking if he was about to post another 33 goal season.

Carter has talent. But every g.m. in the league knows his game is one dimensional.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
the_bad_fish
AHL Prospect

Post by the_bad_fish »

at least Pyatt hit the top corner on his perfect sedin set ups, as compared to carter who bumps it along the ice. I've been impressed with Pyatt's shot. Carters greed may work out better for us in the end
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Rising Sun Canuck wrote:Can we confidently say that it was the Sedins that made Carter break out last year?
Not really. Hard to call a 55 point season from a player who has a several season of 60 points pace under his belt a breakout. He's always been a guy that can compliment talent and that's just what he did.

What it is showing right now is the reason why most GMs were staying away from him this summer at that kind of money....did he have his head screwed on straight and would the effort continue for another year? Was he back to concentrating on hockey instead of his radio/television/music/movie career? Or was it one year of feigned motiviation in order to get a big contract?

Carter played well last year. He worked hard and was rewarded with great linemates. But this isn't the same Carter as last year. This is the Carter of 03/04. The Carter of questionable work ethic and attitude.The Carter that doesn't put hockey first. The Carter that continually gets moved around from team to team. The Carter that I think 20+ GMs suspected was the REAL Carter.

I certianlyhope Nonis doesn't reacquire him as some people seems to hope will happen. I don't think Nonis is that stupid.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

tantalum wrote:I certianlyhope Nonis doesn't reacquire him as some people seems to hope will happen. I don't think Nonis is that stupid.
God, I hope not... We need to use any cap room we have to shore up the d... Fitzpatrick at the #5 is looking fuglier every day to me...
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
tantalum wrote:I certianlyhope Nonis doesn't reacquire him as some people seems to hope will happen. I don't think Nonis is that stupid.
God, I hope not... We need to use any cap room we have to shore up the d... Fitzpatrick at the #5 is looking fuglier every day to me...
There is no chance of it happening IMO. In the summer Nonis didn't think Carter was worth that type of money and all Carter is doing is showing the canucks GM that he was correct in his assessment. So why would a GM trade for a guy and give up atleast some asset, even if a minor one, for a guy he thinks is overpaid and is thus far proving to be just that.

Fitzpatrick has been fine IMO. He made some mistakes but you expect mistakes to be made by the #6/7 guy...especially when he fills in as a #5 guy. He's certainly better than what we'd be seeing with baumgartner. For a guy getting 15 minutes a night he's doing just fine. That isn't to say I don;t think the blueline could be strengthened it absolutely could and it would be nice to see Fitzpatrick as the #7 guy on a healthy blueline. But he'd done his job better than expected early on, so no complaints from me.

Ohlund...now there is a guy who has to crank it up.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

I think what we're seeing from Ohlund is what we saw last year when Salo, and Jovo were out - he's facing the top lines every night with no one else to help take the load... I think having Mitchell there took a lot of pressure of Ohlund, and now, not only is he expected to be the N. 1 shutdown guy, Ohlund is also supposed to provide some offence, too.

As for Fitzpatrick, I agree that he'd be an ideal #6 or 7 guy getting less than 10 minutes a game; but at #5, I think he's a liability.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:I think what we're seeing from Ohlund is what we saw last year when Salo, and Jovo were out - he's facing the top lines every night with no one else to help take the load... I think having Mitchell there took a lot of pressure of Ohlund, and now, not only is he expected to be the N. 1 shutdown guy, Ohlund is also supposed to provide some offence, too.
If he's going to be taken seriously as a number 1 defenceman in the league he's going to have play like it. It's make or break time for him, gone are the days where he could hide in semi-obscurity behind Jovo and be one of the best number 2's in hockey. Go-To guys should expect to see the other teams best players, and outplay them.
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

Anson Carter is being exposed as a low rent B.J. Macdonald -- score 47 goals playing beside Wayne Gretzky, and then blow chunks when forced to help carry a team on your own. Heck, any of us who have played beer league hockey know all about this -- when you get a chance to play with the really skilled guys on your team, all of a sudden you look and play a whole lot better yourself. When you are the most skilled guy on your line, OTOH, life gets a lot tougher.

Credit where credit is due -- despite some fan and media pressure to keep Carter around, Nonis and his staff nailed it in terms of their assessment of the guy. The salary cap demands that GMs get these kinds of judgements right most of time, and on this one Nonis was perfect.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Island Nucklehead wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:I think what we're seeing from Ohlund is what we saw last year when Salo, and Jovo were out - he's facing the top lines every night with no one else to help take the load... I think having Mitchell there took a lot of pressure of Ohlund, and now, not only is he expected to be the N. 1 shutdown guy, Ohlund is also supposed to provide some offence, too.
If he's going to be taken seriously as a number 1 defenceman in the league he's going to have play like it. It's make or break time for him, gone are the days where he could hide in semi-obscurity behind Jovo and be one of the best number 2's in hockey. Go-To guys should expect to see the other teams best players, and outplay them.
Even No. 1 defencemen need good supporting casts; would Al MacInnis be as good without guys like Barrett Jackman playing a supporting role? What about Scott Niedermayer without Scott Stevens and now Pronger? Niklas Lindstrom should credit Chris Chelios for a lot of his success... Jovo enjoyed his best years here while playing on the same team as Ohlund/Salo, now look at what he does with Phoenix.

I think to expect Ohlund to be an elite defencemen like these guys puts too much pressure on him; he's a very good #2 defenceman but to expect him to be the second coming of Jovo is a mistake... Make or break for Ohlund? He's made it and I'm very happy he's playing on this team. I just believe that to be more effective, he needs Mitchell to be as solid as he is. Don't forget that this team's philosophy is defence first, and defending against the other team's top players is the role best suited to Mitchell and then Ohlund.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Maybe the make or break comment was misleading. This is the first season he's had the title of bonafide number one guy. He is the best Canucks defenceman...he dosn't have the shot of Salo, nor the shut-down ability of Mitchell, but all around he IS the most talented one. The pressure placed on him is justified, if we are going to be a playoff team, he is going to have to be a huge factor in that.

Obviously he's not a Pronger, or Neidermayer, and nobody expects him to be. These guys are in a class all to themselves in terms of talent and skill. Let's not forget Neidermayer almost (3 points shy) scored more points than the 2, 3 and 4th Dmen combined last year on a pretty good Anaheim team. Obviously we don't expect Ohlund to do that, and he has a much better surrounding cast than Neidermayer did last season.

The point remains, if he is going to be the number one guy on the team he should expect to play the top lines all the time, reguardless of what his supporting cast is doing.

As far as Carter is concerned...I don't think anyone in the hockey world is surprized this guy is back to his old ways. The Sedins will bounce goals off anyone from Trent Klatt to Wade Brookbank...what I'm curious about is what would happen if they found a PROVEN talented finish man to play with them, someone like Glenn Murray without the walker and contract. It might have to wait til Naslund is gone....but I can see the Sedins setting up some lucky bastard for 60 goals.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The way I see it Ohlund has atleast as good if not better supporting cast than he has had in years. Mitchell and Salo would be in nay teams top 4. Bieksa and Krajicek are proving to be quite good in the 4/5 spots. It isn't lack of support for Ohlund...it's poor decision making and being slow to react that's the problem.