2021 Draft Class

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021 Draft Class

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The 2020 picks are shit, so let’s make the one year gap a two year gap in the system. Makes total sense. They have plenty of developing youth... sure, the odd guy may even be useful. Why keep trying to short circuit the rebuild? Next year looks like another shitty year. Collect picks and prospects and maybe use them as currency when the team is ready to take a good step. People are so fucking impatient.

The rebuild started in Feb 2017. Let’s give it time shall we? Let the swamp drain, trade the UFA, no expensive UFA deals this summer. Some folks can’t handle a rebuild. :mex:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If I were Francesco, I’d have a hard and fast rule that limited UFA signings to two years. Once players proved themselves on the Canucks (not on other teams) they could get resigned for more term. This season there are going to be a ton of FAs. Once the initial free agent frenzy passes there will be good players had cheap. There is no rational reason not to sell the Canucks UFAs now and get draft picks.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:31 am The 2020 picks are shit, so let’s make the one year gap a two year gap in the system. Makes total sense. They have plenty of developing youth... sure, the odd guy may even be useful. Why keep trying to short circuit the rebuild? Next year looks like another shitty year. Collect picks and prospects and maybe use them as currency when the team is ready to take a good step. People are so fucking impatient.

The rebuild started in Feb 2017. Let’s give it time shall we? Let the swamp drain, trade the UFA, no expensive UFA deals this summer. Some folks can’t handle a rebuild. :mex:
It’s not a very good class but some good players will come out of it for sure so I’m all in for keeping the 2021 picks but I’d support moving it if it hauled us something similar to JT Miller. Definitely not in to loading up on 2021 picks but definitely into loading up on 2022 picks because that class is pure bad ass.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The Draft Analyst March 2021 top 32 picks:

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nh ... -32-march/

Brandt Clarke seems a staple to #6, but they got L. Hughes at 13? and Edvinsson dropping way down to 26!?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:46 am The Draft Analyst March 2021 top 32 picks:

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nh ... -32-march/

Brandt Clarke seems a staple to #6, but they got L. Hughes at 13? and Edvinsson dropping way down to 26!?
Jimmy will sort through that cat box of chocolate bars and find the sweet georgia brown of this class
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Would be nice to draft one of the Americans - Berniers of Hughes or one of the Swedes - Eklund of Edvinsson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Don't normally take much notice in this guy but it's difficult not to notice this. Link
J.D. Burke @JDylanBurke
Haven't seen this out there yet. My understanding based on a conversation with a well-placed source is that top 2021 NHL Draft prospect Luke Hughes is going to be out for the remainder of the 2020-21 season. The phrasing was "several torn ligaments in his foot."
7:57 PM · Mar 20, 2021·
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Scouting reports on the top 10 prospects of the 2021 draft class, the pros and cons of each. This will be a highy unpredictable class and raa and ranking right up to draft day. No special players in this draft, there will be more duds than dudes after all is said and done

I predict this class will be as bad as the ‘96 draft class. The Chris Phillips class. Could even be worse

Where will the Canucks be picking? 14th overall? Trade the puck ffs. Let’s get JT Miller 2.0

https://thehockeywriters.com/2021-nhl-d ... prospects/
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Brandt, Edvinsson or Lysell look to me to be the highest ceiling players. Maybe they arent generational talents but i would say they could be damn good
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 am Brandt, Edvinsson or Lysell look to me to be the highest ceiling players. Maybe they arent generational talents but i would say they could be damn good
Trade the pick, Wizard. This class stinks as bad as SKYO’s homemade salmon candy
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 am Brandt, Edvinsson or Lysell look to me to be the highest ceiling players. Maybe they arent generational talents but i would say they could be damn good
Trade the pick, Wizard. This class stinks as bad as SKYO’s homemade salmon candy
If you can land that tough, mobile, defensively sound top pairing righty then absolutely you do. Could Vegas be interested in moving McNabb for it?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:40 am
If you can land that tough, mobile, defensively sound top pairing righty then absolutely you do
I sure hope Benning is seeing what’s available with offering up the 2021 1st round pick. There could be another JT Miller out there more so especially with the Expansion draft. Great players could be had with that first with teams having protection issues
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If you can land that tough, mobile, defensively sound top pairing righty then absolutely you do. Could Vegas be interested in moving McNabb for it?
Mcnabb is definitely not a top pairing guy. He is also 30 years old. I don’t give up a first rounder for him. Whitecloud.... perhaps.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:08 am
Mcnabb is definitely not a top pairing guy. He is also 30 years old. I don’t give up a first rounder for him. Whitecloud.... perhaps.
Ok then they shoot us a 2nd the year after then. McNabb paired up with Schmidt very well and is the type of piece Van desperately needs on their back end. They might be willing to move BM only because they do have whitecloud
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not giving up a top 10 pick for one year of a soon to be 31 year old McNabb and the 60th pick. McNabb isn’t a guy killing their cap anyways. He only makes 2.5 million.