Elias Pettersson is Vancouver's most overrated player

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Elias Pettersson is Vancouver's most overrated player

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Topper wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:01 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:00 pm I think we should clear up a few definitions.

To me, and I could be wrong, ‘generational’ is used for a person who changed the way the sport is played, or the greatest player of that era
Great changed the game.
Howe changed the game
Mario, Sid and McJesus are arguable the best of their generations.

‘Franchise player’ (implies elite status) are the people that the best at that role or position on a specific team. Top 6 forwards, they gotta be PPG. Defenceman must be Norris considerate, and goalies veznia.. not sure if there has ever been a bottom 6 franchise guy.

Now, Demko, Petey and Hughes are all franchise guys, but they are not generational yet.
So the Sedins were not franchise players.

I always laughed when people called them point per game players. Daniel managed ppg 4 seasons of his 17 season NHL career, Hank manged it 3 seasons of 17 seasons.
Your the one making that call, I am just trying for a definition to avoid the inevitable shit toss that follows.

I guess I could add HOF to PPG.. would that help? (FYI, not defining any players yet, just opening a discussion on the definition)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:56 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:00 pm I think we should clear up a few definitions.

To me, and I could be wrong, ‘generational’ is used for a person who changed the way the sport is played, or the greatest player of that era
Great changed the game.
Howe changed the game

‘Franchise player’ (implies elite status) are the people that the best at that role or position on a specific team. Top 6 forwards, they gotta be PPG. Defenceman must be Norris considerate, and goalies veznia.. not sure if there has ever been a bottom 6 franchise guy.

Now, Demko, Petey and Hughes are all franchise guys, but they are not generational yet.

I always laughed when people called them point per game players. Daniel managed ppg 4 seasons of his 17 season NHL career, Hank manged it 3 seasons of 17 seasons.
Your the one making that call, I am just trying for a definition to avoid the inevitable shit toss that follows.

I guess I could add HOF to PPG.. would that help? (FYI, not defining any players yet, just opening a discussion on the definition)
In case you missed what you wrote
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:00 pm
Cornuck wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:16 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:53 am
5thhorseman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am Isn't this thread just a big 'ol strawman? Who exactly was it that said Petey was generational? C'mon stand up :)
Sounds like something Doc or Chef said while they were guzzling Jimmy's load to cover up the fact that they wanted Vilardi over Pettersson.
Pettersson and Hughes is enough generational for us.

Pettersson and Hughes are Generational

Again, our first round picks of 2017 - Petterson and 2018 - Hughes are Generational in the NHL.

When you draft Generational talent like Pettersson and Hughes

Petey is generational.
:lol:

There’s a kick in the gunt for Chef and Doc right there. Lol!
I'm in on the last one only, and within 20 minutes Wiz and I negotiated from "generational" to "sensational". :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=368717#p368717

Yeah twas an extra drunken GDT that night and apparently fun was had by all...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Topper wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:12 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:56 pm

Great changed the game.
Howe changed the game

In case you missed what you wrote
No, I knew what I wrote, tried to clarify it for you but I guess your set on missing the point..

So, back to discussing the definition, before we put players into it??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Well, at their peak, they were ppg players. Career ppg players? No, they weren't that.
The term can be used in both senses. You just have to be clear about which of them you mean.

And I would definitely say they were franchise players.

I think I would define franchise players as players you build the team around, and for a long stretch of time, the Canucks team was built around the Sedins.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... on-3231817

Man, I was reading this article earlier in the season and this guy rated Petey as better than A.Mathews, Draisaitl and McJesus. His reasoning is that Petey is good on the defensive side and works his butt off there, but those guys play zero D. Sure, those guys may no play D like Guy Carbonneau, but they're not that bad defensively. Even at that time, as much as I like Petey, I had to honestly say those guys are better. Any hockey fan would take any of those guys over Petey in a hockey pool or just playing fantasy GM.

That being said, Petey is struggling a bit this season and maybe a tad bit overrated. The Swedish Gretzky comparison might not be a fair one. I was hoping he'd become a Forsberg, but I don't think that's fair either. When all is said and done though, I think he'll go down as this franchise all time best centreman. I like the Hank Sedin with a shot comparison. Hank will prob be a better playmaker, but Petey beats him in shooting and stickhandling (almost Datsyuk like). The other good comparison we hear a lot is Nicklas Backstrom, but I think Petey will be better than him. :D
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Daniel Wagner is a fucking moron. McDavid is the best player in the league hands down. Pettersson isn’t even sniffing the top 10 players list.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:08 pm Daniel Wagner is a fucking moron. McDavid is the best player in the league hands down. Pettersson isn’t even sniffing the top 10 players list.
Id take Drysaitl over mcdavid. Connor is like a polished David Booth.
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:09 pm
Id take Drysaitl over mcdavid.
Why?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:27 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:09 pm
Id take Drysaitl over mcdavid.
Why?
Because hes better than one man gang McDavid. He passes, protects pucks under pressure and also has a wicked shot
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

A team of drysaitls is better than a team of mcdavids I think

But for picking one guy... I’d take mcdavid

Maybe that doesn’t make sense... :lol:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

rats19 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:56 pm A team of drysaitls is better than a team of mcdavids I think

But for picking one guy... I’d take mcdavid

Maybe that doesn’t make sense... :lol:
Connor is unreal but one on 5 rushes dont fly come playoff time. He doesn't utilize his teammates as well as Dry which clearly makes Dry your better player
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

McDavid is the best hockey player in the world at the present time that I know of. I remember the look on his face whe he came up to the podium after Edmonton called his name. It wasn't joy and jubilation. It almost seemed he was gritting his teeth.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

You know what's crazy, Stamkos has a >ppg career average, and has only been under ppg twice since his rookie season.

Yet, he's the third best/most valuable player on that team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nice to see you guys sharing your rock.

Connor is far and away the worlds best player and it isn’t close