The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Post by Meds »

vic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:02 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:21 pm
vic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:33 pm
Micky wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 pm I don't think we've seen credible coaching in Vancouver since the end of the 2012 regular season 2010 Playoffs!
Fixed that last little bit for you

:drink:
Hey Vic, where ya been... just 2 posts in the last 6 months bro?
Lol, got caught in that dumpster fire that Canucks Twitter is.

Thought I'd drop by to see what the talk here was like.
It’s no better.

A quick sum up...

Chef and Micky take every thread off a cliff and Doc is too busy trolling everyone with cherry picked sentences from 10 years ago to really contribute to actual conversation like he used to do. We’re holding out hope that he gets a new prescription soon and is still capable of being what he was: a slightly above average debater with the occasional decent hockey insight.

Topper has gone from having his decent post game “a few thoughts” to obscure half-liner gibberish.

Reefer finally got his gender confusion figured out, had the surgery and has become 2Fingers.

Uk and 5th are sporadically more active but still has leftwing racist as ever.

Lever and Spock are gone.

Cornuck still hates Messier and drops the traditional Fuck the Rangers.

Blob became Doyle and UDL became Wiz. And when they are drunk or high, respectively, have things to say that aren’t outlandish.

ESQ still makes the occasional appearance.

SKYO still wants to blow up the team with a different trade every other day....tho that’s slowed from his previous 3 ideas per day.

HW seems to be in semi-retirement. Though she could just be battling depression due to the state of the team.

UW drops in and keeps the hockey opinions respectable.

And Rats is still here with his glass ever half full holding out hope.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Micky wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 pm I don't think we've seen credible coaching in Vancouver since the end of the 2012 regular season 2010 Playoffs!

That Tony Rigatone on Twitter is a character eh?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

^^ Good summary there, Mëds.

(Except that rangers should never be capitalized)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Mëds wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:04 pm

It’s no better.

A quick sum up...

Chef and Micky take every thread off a cliff and Doc is too busy trolling everyone with cherry picked sentences from 10 years ago to really contribute to actual conversation like he used to do. We’re holding out hope that he gets a new prescription soon and is still capable of being what he was: a slightly above average debater with the occasional decent hockey insight.

Topper has gone from having his decent post game “a few thoughts” to obscure half-liner gibberish.

Reefer finally got his gender confusion figured out, had the surgery and has become 2Fingers.

Blob became Doyle and UDL became Wiz. And when they are drunk or high, respectively, have things to say that aren’t outlandish.

SKYO still wants to blow up the team with a different trade every other day....tho that’s slowed from his previous 3 ideas per day.

HW seems to be in semi-retirement. Though she could just be battling depression due to the state of the team.

You forgot how utterly forgettable ‘the man’ is.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

So some data for you to chew on.

Code: Select all

Y		GP	Points	Win %	
2013-2014	82	83	0.506 - Gillis' last year
2014-2015	82	101	0.615
2015-2016	82	75	0.457
2016-2017	82	69    	0.420
2017-2018	82	73	0.445
2018-2019	82	81	0.493
2019-2020	69	78	0.565
2020-2021	26	20	0.384
Those are the numbers of a true genius.

For the canucks to qualify for the playoffs, if you assume they have to attain the same overall winning percentage as they did last year, they have to win at about a .721 clip (43 points from the next 30 games). Only Tampa and Toronto are doing that. We're basically eliminated already.

The last two years saw big jumps in performance (.05 and .07) before this years' catastrophe and while Benning deserves credit for that improvement, we're currently worse than the darkest days of the 2016-2017 season. Does he really deserve to keep his job?

The current situation is on him, be it down to coaching, staffing etc.

At this point it probably is it worth firing him and Travis? Much as I might like that I say fire Benning but keep Travis. Recognise the playoffs are basically unattainable in the time remaining and get the new GM to flush the vets out as rentals out for whatever you can manage. Then fire Travis in the summer and get the BPA in the draft.

That way the new GM has time to load up and be ready for the offseason while not wasting whatever meagre scraps that can be managed from deadline day.

Unless of course you think that the 'success' he's managed in his time here will continue to grow, but I don't believe that.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I like the idea of a new GM getting some runway and a chance to see who he wants to keep and who he wants to turf. I just worry that he might not be the best candidate for the job. Better guys may become available after the season ends. The AGMs for teams like Colorado or Carolina should be guys that Aquilini should want to interview. Successful teams that operate under a tight budget. They draft well and they don’t have a pile of lard in salary and bloated contracts while icing competitive, fast teams.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Green is expiring not firing. At this point replacing him with an acting coach is the only move because of his incentive to win over develop. The focus on the remainder of this season should be to get the prospects up to speed for next season and see what they can do with regular ice time. Green won’t do this as wins means he plays the ones he trusts, which we see are his veterans. If Benning is replaced it will probably be in the off season. Unlike Gillis, he won’t be unemployed long. His drafting has set a new GM in Vancouver up for the next decade. Other rebuilding teams will understand what Benning has accomplished at the draft table and snap him up if he is let go. Personally, I’d replace the coach and hang onto Benning, but I understand the argument for a change at the top based on this disappointing season. Still, in my mind the future looks bright, whether there is new management or not. I expect they’ll be a playoff team next season in the west.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:16 am I like the idea of a new GM getting some runway and a chance to see who he wants to keep and who he wants to turf. I just worry that he might not be the best candidate for the job. Better guys may become available after the season ends. The AGMs for teams like Colorado or Carolina should be guys that Aquilini should want to interview. Successful teams that operate under a tight budget. They draft well and they don’t have a pile of lard in salary and bloated contracts while icing competitive, fast teams.
.....Image
...,.Doyle is the one on the top.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:56 am Green is expiring not firing. At this point replacing him with an acting coach is the only move because of his incentive to win over develop. The focus on the remainder of this season should be to get the prospects up to speed for next season and see what they can do with regular ice time. Green won’t do this as wins means he plays the ones he trusts, which we see are his veterans. If Benning is replaced it will probably be in the off season. Unlike Gillis, he won’t be unemployed long. His drafting has set a new GM in Vancouver up for the next decade. Other rebuilding teams will understand what Benning has accomplished at the draft table and snap him up if he is let go. Personally, I’d replace the coach and hang onto Benning, but I understand the argument for a change at the top based on this disappointing season. Still, in my mind the future looks bright, whether there is new management or not. I expect they’ll be a playoff team next season in the west.
Best post of the day, you should email this to the Aquas directly.

It is what I have been saying for a long time, coaches need to understand what they are there for. This season is done and it is about development, same as in the AHL. No one gives a rats ass if they win, prospects in AHL are there to develop and learn from their mistakes.

Green needs to go now and bring in someone with a clear mandate on developing prospects, Julio should play every game and sit out Harmonic or Benn. The bottom 6 should be all about prospect development as well (if they actually have anyone there to develop?).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Just like Tortorella both he and Green have expiring contracts, Columbus and Vancouver likely see how the season unfolds and reassess what to do at the end of the season. Both teams aren't playing well so both coaches could move on for the 2021/22 season.
“But the reason this has become a story is because Tortorella’s deal is up at the end of the season. I hear, and I think it’s interesting, not only Kekalainen confirm on this day that the finances of the pandemic are part of the reason he wasn’t really in a position to extend Tortorella before the year. I personally am not convinced that Tortorella himself was in a position where he wanted to extend before the season either, that maybe he wanted to see how this year played out. It’s an interesting story developing in Columbus”

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-and-no ... 021/03/04/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:20 am Just like Tortorella both he and Green have expiring contracts, Columbus and Vancouver likely see how the season unfolds and reassess what to do at the end of the season. Both teams aren't playing well so both coaches could move on for the 2021/22 season.
“But the reason this has become a story is because Tortorella’s deal is up at the end of the season. I hear, and I think it’s interesting, not only Kekalainen confirm on this day that the finances of the pandemic are part of the reason he wasn’t really in a position to extend Tortorella before the year. I personally am not convinced that Tortorella himself was in a position where he wanted to extend before the season either, that maybe he wanted to see how this year played out. It’s an interesting story developing in Columbus”

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-and-no ... 021/03/04/

I would say with Torts, that it’ll be his choice as to if he goes back to Columbus or not. He has kind of done everything, been everywhere and sometimes gets a good hate on for media and other stupid people. If he wants to coach another year, he will.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status ... 6753004552
Canucks GM Jim Benning will join Scott Rintoul tomorrow at 11am on Sportsnet650
! Home Of The Canucks 🏒
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Micky wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:24 pm https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status ... 6753004552
Canucks GM Jim Benning will join Scott Rintoul tomorrow at 11am on Sportsnet650
! Home Of The Canucks 🏒
Jim Benning? Is that the next GM Doyle is speaking of?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:04 pm [
It’s no better.

A quick sum up...

You forgot to mention that the board's highlights are still the physical appearance attacks between Doyle and RD :lol:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Is it safe to say that we're as much a "semi-retired gentleman's social club" as a hockey board at this point? :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."