Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:32 pm
Hughes is a defensive train wreck right now. Teams are keying on him and he’s not skating with the same room he had last year. Yay for his 0.9 ppg, but he’s a negative player despite that. Considering his point production the Canucks are a negative team with him on the ice.
Green just wont try and put Schmidt with him so that they have 2 dmen on the ice at the same time who can push the pace. I swear he has the foresight of a stump.

If the opposition want to key on QH so bad but would leave NS open like that it should open up plenty of ice and options on the rush while having Quinn back with his double team
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:55 am That's not what happened at all. OEL was asked to waive, Vancouver was one of 2 teams that he'd waive to.

It was an unsuccessful, opportunistic attempt to bend-over the Coyotes, not "targeting" OEL.

If Benning was "targeting" OEL, he'd have made a reasonable offer that the Yotes would live with and he'd be a Canuck.
Just to chime in.
I believe the sticking point was AZ asking for one of Podz or Hogz in addition to a couple roster players, picks, to that which JB declined.

Faber:
OEL trade is still progressing tonight.
AZ wants Höglander, Podkolzin or Demko but may have to settle for Lind as the prospect because Hog/Pod/Demko are no-go’s for Canucks.
Names like Virtanen and Sutter have been floated in trade too.
But with Hughes playing the way he is and the rise of Rathbone, OEL probably ain't needed anymore, especially considering the cap hit and the teams need to get a RD more.
Have you watched this year dude?

Hughes is a defensive train wreck right now. Teams are keying on him and he’s not skating with the same room he had last year. Yay for his 0.9 ppg, but he’s a negative player despite that. Considering his point production the Canucks are a negative team with him on the ice.

And Rathbone? What’s he done?
So are you saying you'd trade for left side OEL still?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:55 am That's not what happened at all. OEL was asked to waive, Vancouver was one of 2 teams that he'd waive to.

It was an unsuccessful, opportunistic attempt to bend-over the Coyotes, not "targeting" OEL.

If Benning was "targeting" OEL, he'd have made a reasonable offer that the Yotes would live with and he'd be a Canuck.
Just to chime in.
I believe the sticking point was AZ asking for one of Podz or Hogz in addition to a couple roster players, picks, to that which JB declined.

Faber:
OEL trade is still progressing tonight.
AZ wants Höglander, Podkolzin or Demko but may have to settle for Lind as the prospect because Hog/Pod/Demko are no-go’s for Canucks.
Names like Virtanen and Sutter have been floated in trade too.
But with Hughes playing the way he is and the rise of Rathbone, OEL probably ain't needed anymore, especially considering the cap hit and the teams need to get a RD more.
Have you watched this year dude?

And Rathbone? What’s he done?
So are you saying you'd trade for left side OEL still?
Not at all. But I wouldn’t have been pursuing him in the first place. I’m just saying that we don’t have anyone emerging as reliable rock solid dependable in their own zone right now.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

2022 is the year they can add an impact piece via free agency. Hopefully they don’t go nuts in the coming off season and fuck in the cap again. There’s guys like Jones, Parayko, Lindholm available or guys like Manson as well.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

ESQ wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:55 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:20 am
ESQ wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:08 pm
Tanev and Markie weren't let go to make the 20/21 team better, they were let go to make the 23/24 team better. It was an off season of long-term moves, so stay focused on the long term. The cap situation improves drastically this off season, and massively next off season. No assets have been given up for cap reasons, which is also a signal of a long-term focus.

Partially true but I don't think they envisioned by bringing in Schmidt and Holtby that they'd have the 3rd worst points percentage in the NHL. Surely that couldn't have been part of the plan.
I definitely agree with that, but I think all of us are surprised at how poor the performance is this year. Whatever is going on, it was not anticipated.
They remain in cap jail with the Pettersson and Hughes ELCs expiring and term left on the Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel deals. Edler's $6 million comes off the books but he's still playing 20+ minutes per night, leads the team in PK time, and starts 70% in the defensive zone and it's going to cost decent bucks to re-sign him or sign a replacement because Juolevi sure as hell isn't going to step in there and Schmidt's best play throughout his career has been on the right side which remains positional weakness for the organization.
Beagle and Roussel's cap hits are pretty well irrelevant, there's over $8 mil in cap space freed up with Sutter, Baertschi and Spooner. An unfortunate benefit to the regression by Petey is he's looking at a much smaller extension than we feared. He's on a 58-point pace, what's that going to cost? $7ish mil? He's definitely out of the 8-figure range, though Hughes is still up there.
Does anybody think targeting a declining OEL was designed with 2023/24 in mind?
That's not what happened at all. OEL was asked to waive, Vancouver was one of 2 teams that he'd waive to. It was an unsuccessful, opportunistic attempt to bend-over the Coyotes, not "targeting" OEL. If Benning was "targeting" OEL, he'd have made a reasonable offer that the Yotes would live with and he'd be a Canuck.
Benning himself said he ran out of time when it came to Toffoli and it sure sounded like he was spending a lot of time trying to piece something together for OEL so I'd say OEL was a target for Benning. However you want to frame it, he shouldn't have even entertained a move like that regardless of the Arizona ask in return.

You're right, the Pettersson regression should save a bit of money but they'll still need to find a quality 3rd line center, part of Sutter's savings will go towards that, and re-sign or replace Pearson on the 2nd line unless they're going bargain bin shopping or taking their chances on a young player. Paying Beagle and Roussel each for twice the price a replacement should cost makes the overpay still relevant given their cap situation this season and next.

Anyway back to the original comment and in not signing Markstrom and Tanev, I don't believe they had planned on the team stepping back a year with a longer term plan in mind otherwise they wouldn't have spent the money on Schmidt and Holtby let alone entertain adding OEL at $8 million. It was always about progressing and competing right away.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:29 pm marky/tanev's new team all drunk:

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1 ... 7390812162
LOL - I've seen after-midnight pickup games with more effort! :D

Nice to know that the team had a good 'bonding' night.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Unreal! 17 really does.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:46 pm

Unreal! 17 really does.
Really does what? He Wants to share your rainbow crayons? He wants to lick your window?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Enjoyable to watch games when the refs don't call a penalty every time a waist high stick touches the puck carrier
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:55 am Enjoyable to watch games when the refs don't call a penalty every time a waist high stick touches the puck carrier
Also good to see a game where our team is playing with effort, not constantly hooking because they are flat footed.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:31 am
Also good to see a game where our team is playing with effort, not constantly hooking because they are flat footed.
You are the exemplification of a buffoon. The flat foots will be coming to take you away, ha, ha.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:29 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:31 am
You are the exemplification of a buffoon. The flat foots will be coming to take you away, ha, ha.

Good morning Ghomer!

I was beginning to think you were not showing up today as your Funcle had planned ‘family bath time’ with you!

So, seeing as your starting with the name calling on a hockey comment not even concerned with you, let’s catch up from yesterday!

Did you see an instance of the Canucks PK pinning people up against the boards?
Why is Joulevi and Rathbone our best young defenders and NOT Hughes?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 am
Why [are] Joulevi and Rathbone our best young defenders and NOT Hughes?
Not regularly playing young defenders.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:54 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 am
Why [are] Joulevi and Rathbone our best young defenders and NOT Hughes?
Not regularly playing young defenders.
But that’s not what you said yesterday. Your simply moving the goalposts in a vain attempt to not look like you have the intelligence less than that of a baby chimpanzee. You should stay off the internet today. You realize your depriving a village somewhere of its idiot, right?