Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Hopefully Dipietro will be joining him soon...
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

WrathBone needs to play. Good call
“Benning should fired for not drafting Jack Wise” - Doyle Hargraves
Curmudgeon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

I'm really interested to see how this Focht-Lockwood-Gadjovich line goes in Utica. Gadjovich got an other goal tonight and if his skating has improved and he can keep up with the play, Lockwood can fly and Focht's also pretty decent, the three of those guys bring attributes the Canucks will ultimately need in their bottom six forward group and I could see them meshing nicely.

Three pretty intriguing and important storylines potentially playing out with the Comets. This line, Lind's switch to center, and what could be a Rathbone-Woo pairing. All three represent clear needs for the Canucks so here's hoping they turn into something.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rookie scoring leader board! Where is that bum Lafrenierre ffs? Look at the Hoagie go ffs! Benning once again

1t Josh Norris Ott 10
1t Pius Suter Chi 10
3t Nils Hoglander Van 9
3t Kirill Kaprizov Min 9
3t Philipp Kurashev Chi 9
3t Tim Stuetzle Ott 9
7 Ty Smith NJ 8
8t Janne Kuokkanen NJ 6
8t Eetu Luostarinen Fla 6
8t Juuso Valimaki Cgy 6
8t Gabriel Vilardi LA 6
12t Jaret Anderson-Dolan LA 5
12t Nicolas Beaudin , Chi 5
12t Pierre-Olivier Joseph Pit 5
12t Jason Robertson Dal 5
12t Alexander Volkov TB 5
17t Nathan Bastian NJ 4
17t Nicolas Hague VGK 4
17t John Leonard SJ 4
17t K'Andre Miller NYR 4
17t Givani Smith Det 4
17t Zach Whitecloud VGK 4
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

whats the first number represent?
Lowered expectations
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dangler wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:28 am whats the first number represent?
Scoring position (3t is tied for 3rd)
If you need air...call it in
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

𝗖𝗵𝗿𝗶𝘀 Faber 🔥🎙@ChrisFaber39
A lot more English on Vasily Podkolzin’s Instagram lately.
I think he’s making an effort to get better with the language. This is his first post since the concussion.
I’m curious if he’ll be in the lineup tomorrow for SKA.
I hope he gets fully healthy before returning. No Rush
2:20 PM · Feb 21, 2021·
𝗖𝗵𝗿𝗶𝘀 Faber 🔥🎙 @ChrisFaber39
I’m hearing that Vasily Podkolzin did not practice with SKA yesterday as he is still nursing a concussion.
SKA is in action at 6am, (5 hours from now) and I would surprised to see him back in the lineup.
I’ll update you here in 285 minutes.
12:51 AM · Feb 22, 2021
𝗖𝗵𝗿𝗶𝘀 Faber 🔥🎙@ChrisFaber39
Vasily Podkolzin in NOT in the lineup for SKA today as he continues to nurse a concussion.
5:46 AM · Feb 22, 2021
"evolution"
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

He conveniently omitted games played. Some of these players have played 6 - 10 less games than Hoglander
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Hoglander has outperformed my expectations. He looks like an NHL player (and quite soon for a second rounder) and is fun to watch.

But I still don’t see him as being a high scorer. All that hands skill and mojo doesn’t convert to a lot of goals. And it hasn’t throughout his pro career. It’s a nice skill set to have if the *it* ever comes, but I find myself wishing he was a motor on a third line who provides a semblance of offense and counterattack. Problem is replacing him on Horvats line....

Would love it if the kid tried the pk if and when this season looks done. I think he’d be good. The short stick isn’t all that great for passing lanes, but I think he’s got the head for it and would read (and execute) “press” opportunities better than the current set. But this is less about the pk, and more about developing 36.
Hono_rary Canadian
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What’s UW’s handle at Canucks HF? Mr. Sky is Falling or what?
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:47 pm Hoglander has outperformed my expectations. He looks like an NHL player (and quite soon for a second rounder) and is fun to watch.

But I still don’t see him as being a high scorer. All that hands skill and mojo doesn’t convert to a lot of goals. And it hasn’t throughout his pro career. It’s a nice skill set to have if the *it* ever comes, but I find myself wishing he was a motor on a third line who provides a semblance of offense and counterattack. Problem is replacing him on Horvats line....

Would love it if the kid tried the pk if and when this season looks done. I think he’d be good. The short stick isn’t all that great for passing lanes, but I think he’s got the head for it and would read (and execute) “press” opportunities better than the current set. But this is less about the pk, and more about developing 36.
That's how Horvat started. Hoglander might be too excitable for a penalty killer. I can see a scenario where he chases the puck all over every time
it's passed. Having said that; he would probably create turnovers because of his doggedness. A little short for the role though.

I agree with players learning other roles on the team when the post season has slipped away. There's never much time for it in pre-seasons.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:31 am

He conveniently omitted games played. Some of these players have played 6 - 10 less games than Hoglander
Bennings draft picks in the line up. 8. Over one third of the line up. A player from every draft is represented

Pettersson 2017
Boeser 2015
Hughes 2018
Virtanen 2014
Gaudette 2015
Juolevi 2016
Demko 2014
Hoglander 2019

And more on the way!

Podkolzin
Rathbone
DiPietro
Lind
Lockwood
Woo
Tryamkin
McDonaugh
Focht
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:09 pm
UWSaint wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:47 pm Hoglander has outperformed my expectations. He looks like an NHL player (and quite soon for a second rounder) and is fun to watch.

That's how Horvat started. Hoglander might be too excitable for a penalty killer. I can see a scenario where he chases the puck all over every time
it's passed. Having said that; he would probably create turnovers because of his doggedness. A little short for the role though.

I agree with players learning other roles on the team when the post season has slipped away. There's never much time for it in pre-seasons.

Why do you think size has anything to do with PK?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:00 am Why do you think size has anything to do with PK?
Marchant and Gallagher are excellent penalty killers. Size has nothing to do with it. Quickness and aggressiveness and the ability to win one-on-one board battles are the key factors for forwards on the PK. Hoglander and next year Podkolzin seem ideal to kill penalties. Early in their careers they probably won’t score at a high enough rate to displace anyone on the power-play, so getting extra minutes on the PK would seem like a natural fit for them. They are probably limited by Green though who likes the veterans killing penalties.
We are all Jim Benning.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:00 am
Why do you think size has anything to do with PK?
I think it can be a punishing role. Wouldn't want to see him blocking 100mph slap shots. Also; Pinning heavy players against the boards and holding them there is a big part of serving time on the PK.
"evolution"