GDT: Van vs TOR Feb 6, 4:00PM (CBC/SNET)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Van vs TOR Feb 6, 4:00PM (CBC/SNET)

Post by Cherry Picker »

Coaches don’t usually survive this kind of start when expectations were what they were.
It’s not unreasonable to expect a move when it gets this ugly defensively.
I don’t know how many more games like this any coach can expect to survive.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:52 pm Coaches don’t usually survive this kind of start when expectations were what they were.
The fact that there's no revenue probably helps his survival chances quite a bit.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Well that tears it.

The leaves better watch out Monday...
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:48 pm
dangler wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:21 pm
Why the fuck would the Aquilinis be motivated to spend money on buying out a gm or coach this season? There's no season ticket holders to impress,
no ticket sales to try & bolster & money is tight.
You are exactly correct. Aint no one getting hired right now unless someone quits and forfeits their monies left. I suppose an internal shake-up could happen but when there's no gate, we cannot expect big non skater team overhauls. Steamer could coach or be an assssssssistant to scream in the younger Green's ear. I think we deserve our entertainment, MM?
I've been touting Steamer myself. It's gotta be someone currently on the payroll.
el rey del mambo
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

dangler wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:21 pm Silver lining- the players will fight through this and start winning again, and having to do it in a stronger division might pay off in the long run.
I won't use the T word yet, but maybe the silver lining is to miss the playoffs, become a lottery team again to add a couple more top young players to our system and eventually our team. Maybe Trev was right, this franchise needs more time to rebuild and fill the cupboards with a bunch of top prospects, not just a few. Petey & Huggy are not enuff, we need to fill the roster with young players of this calibre. :P
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:50 pm
dangler wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:21 pm Silver lining- the players will fight through this and start winning again, and having to do it in a stronger division might pay off in the long run.
I won't use the T word yet, but maybe the silver lining is to miss the playoffs, become a lottery team again to add a couple more top young players to our system and eventually our team. Maybe Trev was right, this franchise needs more time to rebuild and fill the cupboards with a bunch of top prospects, not just a few. Petey & Huggy are not enuff, we need to fill the roster with young players of this calibre. :P
Trev?

Wasn’t he the one who felt the team needed more chances to win? It wasn’t until after he was gone that we jettisoned some guys and really looked like it was rebuild time.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:41 pm
dangler wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:21 pm Wow! the boards going full diaper mode!!
Let's examine the logic here shall we?
FIRE BENNING- you wanna fire the guy who drafted Boesser, Petey & Hughes? Sure he's signed some bad UFA contracts, but the quality of the team he took over required over-payment in $ & term to get these guys to sign here( a fact that we're all aware of). Eriksson was a flat out colossal mistake,Baertschi & Ferland LTIR'd, but the rest have served their purpose and their contracts are expiring relatively soon.
FIRE GREEN - Green is not the problem, the players are in a funk & as pros need to work through it. If Green was fired he'd be hired by someone else in a heartbeat
Why the fuck would the Aquilinis be motivated to spend money on buying out a gm or coach this season? There's no season ticket holders to impress,
no ticket sales to try & bolster & money is tight.
EVERYONE knew going into this season that the team is in a holding pattern until some of these stale contracts come off the books.
This North division is alot tougher than the Pacific.
Silver lining- the players will fight through this and start winning again, and having to do it in a stronger division might pay off in the long run.
Dangler is right. Benning and Green have done a wicked job. The players too 8-)
Yeah. It’s easy to start calling guys out for being diaper tossers right now. But one must not forget that there are more than a few of us here who have constantly questioned Green other than for a handful of playoff games last year. Others have been pretty hard on Elmer for his cap management and trading of draft picks.

It’s not a diaper-fest when it’s what has been said all along.

I mean sure.....there’s the odd gout riddled burger flipper who has their head buried in a super sized fries unwilling to accept the truth.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:20 pm Trev?

Wasn’t he the one who felt the team needed more chances to win? It wasn’t until after he was gone that we jettisoned some guys and really looked like it was rebuild time.
Not sure of the sources, but I heard Trev was pushing for a 5 year rebuild. JB & ownership felt the team was rdy to compete, so Trev was forced out. JB makes moves to help the team immediately by signing Beagle, Rooster and Schaller; the following year they trade a 1st rounder for JT Miller and signs Tyler Myers, Jordie Benn, Ferland, Fatenberg, etc. At TDD, they sacrifice a 2nd rounder and a good prospect (Madden) for Tyler Toffoli.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:44 pm Not sure of the sources, but I heard Trev was pushing for a 5 year rebuild. JB & ownership felt the team was rdy to compete, so Trev was forced out. JB makes moves to help the team immediately by signing Beagle, Rooster and Schaller; the following year they trade a 1st rounder for JT Miller and signs Tyler Myers, Jordie Benn, Ferland, Fatenberg, etc. At TDD, they sacrifice a 2nd rounder and a good prospect (Madden) for Tyler Toffoli.
That was my understanding of the mostly widely accepted narrative. Is there another interpretation more commonly believed here?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:52 pm Coaches don’t usually survive this kind of start when expectations were what they were.
Fuck hes made it sunday already...i never would've thought that possible
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:58 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:44 pm Not sure of the sources, but I heard Trev was pushing for a 5 year rebuild. JB & ownership felt the team was rdy to compete, so Trev was forced out. JB makes moves to help the team immediately by signing Beagle, Rooster and Schaller; the following year they trade a 1st rounder for JT Miller and signs Tyler Myers, Jordie Benn, Ferland, Fatenberg, etc. At TDD, they sacrifice a 2nd rounder and a good prospect (Madden) for Tyler Toffoli.
That was my understanding of the mostly widely accepted narrative. Is there another interpretation more commonly believed here?
It depends what day it is and what Doc is pedalling. He’s got an army of puppets here these days.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:17 pm
Fuck hes made it sunday already...i never would've thought that possible
I always thought he would make it to The end of the road trip at least.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So. Can we now all agree that Chatfield stinks? Back to Juolevi, Greener, you idiot

Also, Green is scratching the wrong players. He’s obsessed with tinkering around with players who are truly not at blame here. Just leave Gaudette, Virtanen and MacEwan in the lineup FFS and for once be done with Little Things Loui. Bailey? Really? There are some core players who really need to look in the mirror with the exception of Boeser who has looked like the Boeser of old

One problem is out top 6 is slow. Miller, Pettersson and Hoglander are decent skaters, Boeser and Horvat are average and Rolly Polly Pearson is just too lumbering in that Brandon Sutter kind of way. We need to get Pearson out of the top 6 and be replaced with a much faster top 6 forward who can breath more life into the top 6.

Miller really needs to get his head out his ass, the team misses him. Is JT really this affected by the players we lost? Players he was upset over the Canucks not resigning. I hate to say it but get over it JT, time to put your big boy pants on, the Bruins don’t seem to be sulking over the loss of Krug and Chara
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:36 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:58 pm
It depends what day it is and what Doc is pedalling. He’s got an army of puppets here these days.
Hats off to him tho. Most people can’t get a sock on over a gouty foot.....let alone several.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Hard to blame Virtanen for last night - just sayin’.
JT has been trash this season. Such a change from last year.
This season looks lost the way things have worked out.
It should be time to experiment with rookies and remove the placeholders, get some assets for the pending UFAs.
Maybe try JT at centre on the second line with a focus on defence.

Petey Horvat Boeser
Motte Miller Hoglander

If Miller can be the 2C, they could move Petey back to the middle after the season and consider trading Horvat for a stud RD like Jones once Podkolzin arrives. It might take an unexpected block buster to turn this ship. The top six are getting cratered right now.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.