Sedin trade in retrospect

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

yammi
CC Veteran

Sedin trade in retrospect

Post by yammi »

Back in 1999, a number of people had mixed feelings about Brian Burke's draft day deal to get both Sedins because it cost us Bryan McCabe.

In retrospect, however, this may be one of the best deals in franchise history (maybe the absolute best besides the Naslund larceny).

McCabe is off to a slow start in Toronto and has been pretty streaky (i.e., disappointing prior to his 03-04 breakout year, disappointing in Sweden during the lock-out year, good in the 1st half of last season but struggled down the stretch).

Some doubted Burkie at the time this deal went down, but I wonder how many still feel that way (besides some of the media pinheads who have a life-long hate on for Burke).

The Sedins, I think, are already outstanding players ... and they just keep getting better and better each season.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I actually was happy at the time, haha, but that might've been because some had said that each Sedin was a Forsberg in the making, while I don't think that's quite going to happen, I do think we've gotten 2/3 of a 2nd line for the last season or two, and a bona fide first line for the next few seasons for below-market value.
Mark
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

Obviously the first few years were somewhat lean in terms of Sedin production, but evidently, they just needed a little bit of time to develop (which they got in spades).

In retrospect, great trade. McCabe's always been overrated; offensive statistics are overpaid.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

I can't believe the Canucks traded away a Norris-quality defender like McCabe!

Oh, wait. :mrgreen:
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

At first I thought it was a great deal.

Then after watching not much for a few seasons, but hard work.I though it wasn't so great .
Now I have come full circle and think it was a great deal.

I guess thats why we watch , nothing is carved in stone.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

i loved the deal at first. i loved the idea of grabbing two draft picks with not only a ton of talent, but instant chemistry. if you think about it, they have probably been playing on the same teams together throughout their whole life. how many players in the NHL can say that? its that chemistry that makes them s dangerous... they could pass the puck to each other blind folded, it seems like they alway know where each other are on the ice :)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
meangradin
AHL Prospect

Post by meangradin »

What I loved about the trade was turning on TSN's draft day coverage and the first words out of the announcers mouth were "The Vancouver Canucks have stolen this draft," and then having to wait a blissful few seconds to hear what had actually transpired. As a life long long Canuck fan, it is so rare to hear the team spoken about in such high esteem.

On a side note, waht I love about this site is that it is populated with die hard fans. Being British by birth, I could not imagine ever turning my back on my football team (Glasgow Celtic), as my father supported the team, as did his father, and his father before him. I stuggle to understand those fans who, for example, are Bertuzzi fans, over Canuck fans. The team makes the player, not the other way around!

Hail! Hail! Canucks
Jagerbomb
AHL Prospect

Post by Jagerbomb »

As good as that trade looks today, let's not forget that we also traded our 1st rounder in 2000. So the trade was Bryan McCabe & 1st rounder (Chicago selected Pavel Vorobiev) for Henrik Sedin.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

so Burkie would have looked reallly stupid if the twins were a flop.... although it does seem that Vancouver got the better deal out of it. I hope that in some season in the near future, the top two goal scorers would be our boys.... ;)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

meangradin wrote:What I loved about the trade was turning on TSN's draft day coverage and the first words out of the announcers mouth were "The Vancouver Canucks have stolen this draft," and then having to wait a blissful few seconds to hear what had actually transpired. As a life long long Canuck fan, it is so rare to hear the team spoken about in such high esteem.
Yea, that's why I love deadline day too- just hearing the words "blockbluster" always gives me the goosebumps.

Hearing about the moginly trade was awesome at the time- in retrospect, not so good.
I still remember a reporter asking scotty boweman if they would trade federov to Vancouver to reunite the line, and his reply was " What, and give them the Stanley Cup"

The linden trade was pretty big and I also remember watching TSN and having them talk about the Moginly for Pederson and Morrison trade at my local card shop.

And who can forget the Loungo trade!

I really liked the Sedin trade at the time, getting twins to play together was almost unheard of. It took a few years, but they finally came around- I always liked them, even when they weren't producing points b/c they were still strong defensive players. After putting a few pounds and years- they starting to look like superstars.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I was happy with the deal, never thought McCabe was that big of a deal. When people started getting on the "sisters" That pissed me off, cause it just seemed to me that it took them longer to find their game than some. they were always good defensively. If they had been horrible defensively,I might have been less enthralled with them.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

They really were the steal of the first round. The only other player I would want out of that first round over them would be Havlat.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I too was excited about the deal. I was thinking, "Maybe, just maybe" the Canucks will draft a player or two who will develop into the real thing". I was hopeful then, and never lost the faith (as a diehard Canuck fan, who can?) and have been pleased with their development, and know that they will continue to improve.

Well worth the trade to grab them both. I'm sure the Sedins feel the same way. Hard to imagine the twins playing on 2 different teams.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Nanaimo_Nuck
CC Rookie

Post by Nanaimo_Nuck »

Who was the 1st overall pick in that draft?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The 1999 Draft top ten

1 Atlanta Patrik Stefan C
2 Vancouver Daniel Sedin L
3 Vancouver Henrik Sedin C
4 NY Rangers Pavel Brendl W
5 NY Islanders Tim Connolly C
6 Nashville Brian Finley G
7 Washington Kris Beech C
8 NY Islanders Taylor Pyatt L
9 NY Rangers Jamie Lundmark C
10 NY Islanders Branislav Mezei D

Yeah - not a strong group. The long shot that made it was Zetterberg (7th)

Complete Draft
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."