Baumgartner and two other Flyers on waivers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Baumgartner and two other Flyers on waivers

Post by Meerschaum »

Boy genuis Bobby Clarke is at it again!

After a 9-1 pasting by Buffalo, the Flyers greatest (and only) GM over the last five years has placed Petr Nedved, Nolan Baumgartner and Nicholas Dimitrakos on waivers.

LINK

At his increased salary, I'm not sure Baumer will have many takers.

The bigger question is, who gets fired first? Hitchcock or Clarke?

Don't worry Bobby, I'm sure Dave Nonis will hire you to hand clean the GM Place toilets. :lol:
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

pass on nedved and baumer.

But Dimitrakos is intriguing. I think he is an upgrade for the bottom six and he only makes 675k. I doubt he makes it through waivers.

If it doesn't get turned around they will both be fired. At the end of last season, Snider had already put the entire management on notice that he wants results this year. If he doesn't see improvement soon i wouldn't be surprised to see the axe fall on everyone.
Bill Laforge
CC Rookie

Post by Bill Laforge »

Atta Boy Bobby! Wonder if they are claimed how much he'll be on the hook for. Keep those pics of Ed Snider and the hooker safe bobby, if you lose them you're fired.
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

Baumer would be a great sixth for us right now....too bad Clarke's a jackass.

Clarke fucked us twice this offseason: obviously with Kesler, but also indirectly with Baumer. I think Nonis wouldve taken him back even up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 750,000. Clarke's the only idiot that would've given him the money he got.

When the player himself is surprised by how much he gets, you know something's wrong. If Baumer got 1.25/year for two years, what the hell did his agent start negotiations at!?!?!?
JonnyLaRue
AHL Prospect

Post by JonnyLaRue »

Ha !
I said that it would either be Hitchcock or Clarke to be the first coach or GM fired this year.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

nuxfanindallas wrote:
Clarke fucked us twice this offseason: obviously with Kesler, but also indirectly with Baumer. I think Nonis wouldve taken him back even up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 750,000. Clarke's the only idiot that would've given him the money he got.
Isn't it ironic that Clarke was bitching about Minny giving Johnsson an insane amount of cash but yet he gives a 6th D $1.25 million? Looks good on ya Bobby.

As for Dimitrakos, he would definitely look good on either of the bottom lines. I say DN picks him up and drops Santala.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Linden Is God wrote:
nuxfanindallas wrote:
Isn't it ironic that Clarke was bitching about Minny giving Johnsson an insane amount of cash but yet he gives a 6th D $1.25 million? Looks good on ya Bobby.

As for Dimitrakos, he would definitely look good on either of the bottom lines. I say DN picks him up and drops Santala.
I like Dimitrakos as well, he's a right-handed shot who can play on the power-play, addressing a couple of our needs and he can chip in from the bottom two lines (the TSN scouting report says that he doesn't need a lot of time to put up points), giving us hopefully a bit better balance than we're getting but that we were counting on.

That said, he does appear to have a work-ethic problem and is not defensively responsible, two black marks in Vigneault's book.

As for Santala, he wouldn't be the guy I dropped, he's been good on face-offs, back-checks and throws some hits, if he's not really lighting it up, well, um, he is a fourth-liner getting paid near the minimum, we shouldn't expect much more. At this point, my concern would be that Chouinard is getting $1.1 mil for fourth-line duty, and while I don't dispute what he brings to the team and is better than Santala, is it really worth the extra $600k?
Mark
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Santala has looked terrible to me in the first few games I've seen him in. bad penalties, bad decisions. What earned him his 1-way deal again? 2 brutal lazy penalties last night.... not that he was the only one, mind you...
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Can someone please clarify one issue for me? It's my understanding that if you pick up a player off waivers, you are only responsible for half his salary and his old team is responsible for the other half? Is this correct? In that case, I would CONSIDER taking back Baumgartner because we'd only be on the hook for 600,000. Still, if he's on waivers that clearly means he hasn't impressed.
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

If I remember correctly, it's only if Philly wants to recall Baumer from AHL that that rule applies. Could be wrong tho.....

I too would love to have Baumer back at 600,000--wouldn't that be an appropiate karmic response to Clarke's Kesler stuff? :D
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Knee-jerk reaction by Clarke.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

At this point, Bourdon doesn't look ready. I wouldn't mind seeing Baumer back at 600K if only to exact a bit of revenge at Clarke. Baumer is a serviceable #5 or 6 D.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

nuxfanindallas wrote:If I remember correctly, it's only if Philly wants to recall Baumer from AHL that that rule applies. Could be wrong tho.....

I too would love to have Baumer back at 600,000--wouldn't that be an appropiate karmic response to Clarke's Kesler stuff? :D
Yeah, it only applies if the player is on the way back up to the NHL, not on the way down to the AHL.
Mark
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Quite honestly if baumgartner was a serviceable 5/6 guy he wouldn't be on waivers. He was a serviceable #5/6 guy for one season on a team that missed the playoffs and had several injuries on the blueline. That is his career claim right now. He is at most a #6 guy who can play a little PP time. He should be a 7/8 guy.

Though it should also be noted that while Baumgartner was put on waivers he is not being sent down right away. The Flyers are just allowing him to clear waivers now for the potential eventuality that the guys they called up do perform and then they'll perhaps send him down or try to move him.

The other two are going down to the minor.
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

Baumer is a classic "In the right situation" kind of player. If all the cards fall in place, he can be quite servicable. I think it really took him a few years to learn the Canucks system and he found that niche here.

With they way Clarke runs Philly and HItch being coach- I can see why he hasn't produced at all in Philly. Odds are if he doesn't get claimed, he'll stay with the team as Clarke has said so. I hope he does stick, but he'll never be more that a #6 guy.

Canucks are thin at the blueline, but I doubt Nonis will waste 600,000 on Baumer...