Canucks @ Oilers. 7pm SN SN1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks @ Oilers. 7pm SN SN1

Post by Cherry Picker »

Horvat hasn’t looked that offensively dangerous since he played with Domi and Marner on the London Knights. Hoglander is similar to Domi, but maybe better. That line was dominate all game. Pearson (and Roussel) impressed with his improved skating. That was the most surprising part of the game. Both of them looked good to me. I hope Hamonic picks it up or Hughes should probably be paired with Chatfield. Holtby was only okay. He totally lost his net on the Larson goal. First game, he’ll get better. Brock looked great. If rookie Brock is back the Canucks are going to be dangerous. Petey and Hughes were okay. They got points, but they have another gear. Still shutting out McDavid is a good start. :D
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:16 pm Brutal play by play.
Dude actually let the gay out when he shrilly shrieked out Yamomoto's name! Like he was a soprano in an opera.
:lol:

I read that earlier and just saw what you meant on the highlights. LOL!
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I watched the replays on both Oilers 2nd & 3rd goals... and in both instances looked like Edler drifted to his offside and ended up screening Holtby.

To be fair, Holtby was a bit off to his right on Larsson's goal, but he was trying to peek to his right to look around Edler just before the puck zipped by. Edler was completely in no-man's land trying to play goal on that one.

I'm just wondering why none of the coaching staff has the balls to call Edler out on those plays. He's been doing that for years and costing goal after goal after goal.

Seriously, that's the thing that pisses me off most about that guy.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:34 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:16 pm Brutal play by play.
Dude actually let the gay out when he shrilly shrieked out Yamomoto's name! Like he was a soprano in an opera.

I read that earlier and just saw what you meant on the highlights. LOL!
No wonder. I just realized it was the "Bonino! x 3" guy.

Like Grandpa Simpson would say, "Just call the damn game!"
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

VAN- 1-0 -EVEN: -Bo Horvat (1) Wrist Shot,- assists:- Tanner Pearson (1) -15:32 -1st ---https://streamable.com/a0ne6w

VAN- 2-1- EVEN: -Nils Hoglander (1) Wrist Shot, -assists: -Tanner Pearson (2),- Bo Horvat (1)-17:19-2nd --- https://streamable.com/l78jnc 1

VAN -3-2 -EVEN: -Adam Gaudette (1) -Slap Shot, --assists: Antoine Roussel (1),- Travis Hamonic (1)- 01:53-3rd ---https://streamable.com/a7q560

VAN- 4-2 -EVEN: -Brock Boeser (1) -Wrist Shot,-- assists: Quinn Hughes (1)-03:44--3rd--https://streamable.com/zilmcn

VAN- 5-3 -EVEN:- Brock Boeser (2)- Wrist Shot, --assists: Elias Pettersson (1),- Quinn Hughes (2)-13:46-3rd --https://streamable.com/vgtugh

"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hoglander tip chance--https://streamable.com/oxw749

Nate takes one up high on the jaw-- https://streamable.com/6n6kac

The reason they called no assist to the Hog on Bo's goal ---https://streamable.com/jmy1jo )))Maybe it touched but doesn't look that way.

Edler hit on Yamamoto --- https://streamable.com/klx5oq

Nils Hoglander is happy ---https://streamable.com/344igi

Boeser feasts on the Oilers STATS..
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Nice to see the boys back and open the season with a W.

Few thoughts:

- Nice to see all the new Canucks, some were good, others kinda of meh.
- Holtby looked really good, kinda reminded me of Millzy. A good solid vet behind the pipes, calm and cool as a cucumber. Hopefully he finds his form again under the tutelage of our goalie guru, Ian Clark
- Surprised Hoggy made the team, but he didn't look out of place and scored a big goal in his first NHL game. For a small guy, I thought he would be faster though.
- Olaf Juolevi was kinda meh. He got stripped of the puck by a guy, too slow or weak to move the puck. Nice to see that he finally got his first reg. NHL game under his belt though and finally erased the goose egg. It doesn't make our pick look as bad. :P
- Hamonic was kinda meh. Tanny is definitely a better skater than him and Hammy's skating kinda reminded me of Nolan Baumgartner. This is not a compliment! *LOL* McJesus made him look like a pylon a couple times. Guess we gotta give Hammy some slack though, he only practiced with the team for a few days and I'm sure he has alot of rust as he hasn't played in like 10 months.
---> I think Greener should work Hamonic in slower, maybe start him off on the 3rd pairing with Olaf or Benn and shelter his minutes a bit. Move Myers with Hughes and use Hughes-Myers or Edler-Schmidt vs the big boyz like McJesus + Draistl.

- Nice to see the Brockstar rip in a couple goals, really hope he found his shot again. We're going to need it if we're going to be a true contender.
---> Man, Hughes made a beaut pass to Brock on one of those goals while on his butt. :P
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Quick interview with Hoglander and his first NHL game AND goal---https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1349611668918059010
Gaudette adds his 2 cents worth.. :)
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:37 pm I watched the replays on both Oilers 2nd & 3rd goals... and in both instances looked like Edler drifted to his offside and ended up screening Holtby.

To be fair, Holtby was a bit off to his right on Larsson's goal, but he was trying to peek to his right to look around Edler just before the puck zipped by. Edler was completely in no-man's land trying to play goal on that one.

I'm just wondering why none of the coaching staff has the balls to call Edler out on those plays. He's been doing that for years and costing goal after goal after goal.

Seriously, that's the thing that pisses me off most about that guy.
Agreed. Also, on Larson’s goal the puck went high glove and Holtby, while too far right, was also playing low glove. No way he saw it. Can’t fault him for that and pin it on him losing the net.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Love this team. :towel:

I'm already looking forward to Podz joining. :mrgreen: And JT of course.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Well thank fuck that one is over. Maybe the worst game I've ever seen from NHL players. Sloppy all over the ice like frantic 8 yr olds playing floor hockey in fizz-ed. Just hacking and whipping at pucks everywhere.

At least we won?
:look:

Pettersson looked average, Hamonic looked done, Schmidt looked like crap even. As.expected the micro swede was the sharpest along with Pearson of all players.

If I'm green i throw that one in the trash and restart the computer. You cant use much tape from it to try and improve anything really.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

... and Virtanen still sucks!

(just keeping the hockey gods happy)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Ugly hockey.

What the fuck was Motte doing on Brock's 1'st goal? If the squarehead hadn't pouched it, he'd be gone from his own blueline. Mr "we'll have to be more defensively responsible" lurks back in the corner behind all the Oilers.

Pettersson missed having Miller take faceoffs for him.

Pundits forgot about Vancouver's speed.

Hockey Knight Street should stay there.

McSourkraut won't miss that many opportunities in a game very often.

The Oilers dedicated that game to Moss in more ways than they should have.

Two Canucks that impressed, Jake and Pearson. Jake was flying and playing with a cheapshot's edge, Pearson was moving the puck quickly.

Clearly the book on Vancouver is to pressure Hughes the moment he touches the puck. Don't let him skate it or have a clean look to pass it. It was reasonably effective in the bubble and was working last night.

Ju will end up somewhere between Tanev and Edler skill level in the coming years.

Mike Smith is 38 years old.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:34 am

The Oilers dedicated that game to Moss in more ways than they should have.

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I expected the game would be sloppy. Teams can have line drills and team scrimmages for a week or a month but it will never be as good as exhibition games with other teams. to prepare for league games that count. Take three or four games to get looking like it should I figure.

Was impressed with Boeser. Much better, hope it lasts though. Virtanen was OK but as usual, he's unpredictable as hell. Skating looks great.

Pretty obvious to me, the Oiler's plan was to pressure Hughes and Pettersson at every opportunity. For the most part, that worked. I hope Green
doesn't over react although hard not to be pissed about that late bullshit from 97 on 43. Totally was an attempt to get in to his head for tonight's game.
"evolution"