Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:09 pm Thank God cap space doesn't matter in a rebuild.

Depends what time of day it is and how it fits the narrative.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:27 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:09 pm Thank God cap space doesn't matter in a rebuild.
As already explained, that aspect disappears in 2021.

(this hit goes one year beyond that)

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:09 pm Not sure how Gillis should be blamed for outsmarting the rulemakers.
Yeahno, the rulemakers outsmarted Gillis with the so-called Luongo Rule.

"He who laughs last laughs best."
Question, wasn’t Gillis warned about this contract prior to pushing it through? Wasn’t there a lot of talk that these contracts were gonna get punished and Gillis did it anyway cause he’s a smug prick?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:27 pm
As already explained, that aspect disappears in 2021.

(this hit goes one year beyond that)

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:09 pm Not sure how Gillis should be blamed for outsmarting the rulemakers.
Yeahno, the rulemakers outsmarted Gillis with the so-called Luongo Rule.

"He who laughs last laughs best."
Question, wasn’t Gillis warned about this contract prior to pushing it through? Wasn’t there a lot of talk that these contracts were gonna get punished and Gillis did it anyway cause he’s a smug prick?
Truth.

Thoughts Dude?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Comment from another blog:
Bettman warned in no uncertain terms there were going to be ramifications for any team that front loaded deals to circumnavigate the last CBA. Gillis & team decided to ignore the warning in pursuit of a cup (good thing) & knowing any possible pay back would be kicked years down the road (bad thing).

Gillis did a lot of good things in pursuit of the cup but almost all of them were meant to push problems further down the road and all of them have come back to haunt the team in multitude of ways, this is just the latest example. Unfortunately, navigating the landmines Gillis’ short term pursuits left behind, is a job this management group does not seem savvy enough to work around.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

The Canucks should sue the league. Contract was
Within the rules when it was signed then the league retroactively changed the rules. Total bullshit.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:50 pm
Thoughts Dude?
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Zedlee wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm The Canucks should sue the league. Contract was
Within the rules when it was signed then the league retroactively changed the rules. Total bullshit.
Fuck that. Dude should sue Gillis
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hank wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:00 pm Comment from another blog:
Bettman warned in no uncertain terms there were going to be ramifications for any team that front loaded deals to circumnavigate the last CBA. Gillis & team decided to ignore the warning in pursuit of a cup (good thing) & knowing any possible pay back would be kicked years down the road (bad thing).

Gillis did a lot of good things in pursuit of the cup but almost all of them were meant to push problems further down the road and all of them have come back to haunt the team in multitude of ways, this is just the latest example. Unfortunately, navigating the landmines Gillis’ short term pursuits left behind, is a job this management group does not seem savvy enough to work around.
That’s an asinine comment right there. There is no way to work around this particular “land mine”. Louie has full control of it, and the Canucks were also hamstrung by the pressure being applied by Florida that encouraged Luongo to trigger the bomb.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm
Zedlee wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm The Canucks should sue the league. Contract was
Naahhh, he’s getting his due from the league shunning him 6 years and running like he truly deserves. Worst GM in hockey history
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm
Naahhh, he’s getting his due from the league shunning him 6 years and running like he truly deserves. Worst GM in hockey history
Gillis and Dubass, sittin in a tree....................
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:03 pm
Hank wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:00 pm Comment from another blog:

That’s an asinine comment right there. There is no way to work around this particular “land mine”. Louie has full control of it, and the Canucks were also hamstrung by the pressure being applied by Florida that encouraged Luongo to trigger the bomb.
Don’t shoot the messenger, Mëds ol’ buddy, I’m just quoting someone else’s comment.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Yeah, wasn’t calling you asinine. I saw it was a writer from another blog.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hank wrote it but pretends to link it to some random shit disturber...

I bet
If you need air...call it in
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:07 pm Yeah, wasn’t calling you asinine. I saw it was a writer from another blog.
While I haven't yet had enough time to complete an exhaustive reading to ensure the below proposed transaction would be in compliance with the provisions of the CBA, it would seem there was a way around getting hit with Luongo's Cap Advantage Recapture:

Canucks could have traded for Luongo avoiding his retirement and allowing him to go on LTIR (which from the reports was what he had intended to go on but was convinced otherwise by the Panthers). Canucks would have then been on the hook for his Paragraph 1 salary and bonuses under the Standard Player's Contract during the LTIR period but could have avoided the Cap Advantage Recapture charges.

Perhaps the Panthers didn't want to do this, but I don't see why they would have any issue with it as Canucks would be footing the bill.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:50 pm Hank wrote it but pretends to link it to some random shit disturber...

I bet
Yoodle, you are the worst shit disturber I know

I would not bet against it ;) :lol: