CC Random thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: CC Random thread

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ya know that ole Chef here has never been to Southeastern BC to places like Fernie, Kimberly, Invermere, Nelson, not sure why. Is it worth the road trip next summer for Ole Chef and family?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 am Ya know that ole Chef here has never been to Southeastern BC to places like Fernie, Kimberly, Invermere, Nelson, not sure why. Is it worth the road trip next summer for Ole Chef and family?
Hell yeah it is

Do the loop from revelstoke to golden then down through cranbrook up the east side of kootenay lake take the ferry to balfour then over to nelson. Nice drive
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 am Ya know that ole Chef here has never been to Southeastern BC to places like Fernie, Kimberly, Invermere, Nelson, not sure why. Is it worth the road trip next summer for Ole Chef and family?
Yes, Nelson is cool but fucking weird with the eco weanie takeover. Get sidewalk seat at a Baker Street cafe and watch the freaks parade by.

Did a camping trip to Cranbrook/Kimberly the year before last with the kid. Stayed in St. Mary's, just outside of Kimberly. it was very cool. If you've got a truck, drive the Grey Creek Pass over to Crawford Bay, buy the wife a genuine Harry Potter straw broom and catch the Kooteny Lake Ferry, head north through Kaslo and up to Trout Lake and over to Nakusp. From there, north across Arrow Lake on the Galena Bay Ferry to Revelstoke, or south down Arrow Lake and across the ferry to Edgewood and out through Cheryville (chopshopville) to Vernon, or south down the Slocan back to Nelson/Castlegar.

Kid and I go fishing at some small lakes on the west side of Arrow Lake across from Nakusp.

Take the mtn bikes, great riding around Rossland (Seven Sisters if your up to it). Bike park in Castlegar has a fantastic pumptrack. A shit ton of trails everywhere in the region.

Drive from Cranbrook to Fernie or up to Invermere and Golden is cool drive up the ditch on the front of the Rockies.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:13 am
Hell yeah it is

Do the loop from revelstoke to golden then down through cranbrook up the east side of kootenay lake take the ferry to balfour then over to nelson. Nice drive
Yeah it’s in the works, next summer, Ive always wanted to check out that part of BC, kind of lame that I haven’t. I actually have never really explored the interior.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:20 am
Yes, Nelson is cool but fucking weird with the eco weanie takeover. Get sidewalk seat at a Baker Street cafe and watch the freaks parade by.

Did a camping trip to Cranbrook/Kimberly the year before last with the kid. Stayed in St. Mary's, just outside of Kimberly. it was very cool. If you've got a truck, drive the Grey Creek Pass over to Crawford Bay, buy the wife a genuine Harry Potter straw broom and catch the Kooteny Lake Ferry, head north through Kaslo and up to Trout Lake and over to Nakusp. From there, north across Arrow Lake on the Galena Bay Ferry to Revelstoke, or south down Arrow Lake and across the ferry to Edgewood and out through Cheryville (chopshopville) to Vernon, or south down the Slocan back to Nelson/Castlegar.

Kid and I go fishing at some small lakes on the west side of Arrow Lake across from Nakusp.

Take the mtn bikes, great riding around Rossland (Seven Sisters if your up to it). Bike park in Castlegar has a fantastic pumptrack. A shit ton of trails everywhere in the region.

Drive from Cranbrook to Fernie or up to Invermere and Golden is cool drive up the ditch on the front of the Rockies.
Thanks Topper! That’s what I’m kind of looking for. My daughter is a teen now and time is running out on her wanting to do stuff with us if you know what I mean.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The grey creek pass is wicked nice but wait til July. I made it to within a half a km of the summit then had to go aaaalllll the way back and around due to snow in mid june. Fuck was i pissed.

Tops have you ever taken the lemon creek to 6 mile pass? Thats a helluva nice drive too
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

If there are thing you folks enjoy or are looking for in the area, ask, I may be able to point you to places.

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You two are like Grizzly Adams/Dicky Proenekke, everything you need to know about interior BC. Thanks. Tops I will definitely be hitting you up on routes to take
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:34 am The grey creek pass is wicked nice but wait til July. I made it to within a half a km of the summit then had to go aaaalllll the way back and around due to snow in mid june. Fuck was i pissed.

Tops have you ever taken the lemon creek to 6 mile pass? Thats a helluva nice drive too
First time I drove it was 1st week of July one year and was blasting through 50m sections of the last of the crud near the summit. Nearly turned back right at the summit except there were motorcycle tracks across the final section so I went for it.

Haven't done Lemon Creek-Six Mile. Just looked it up.

I've driven the highway routes so many times that the backroad routes are appealing. Christina Lake to Rossland along the border via Sheep Creek. Grand Forks to Edgewood and then Shelter Bay via logging roads on the west side of Arrow Lakes. Horsefly to Canim Lake via Hendrix Lake ( I'd like to get all the way to Kamloops on that route). Beaverdell to Penticton.

I want to do Lilloet to Gang Ranch. The Chilcoton is one of my favourite areas to check out and so few people know it. Grassland plateaus at ~3000 feet. The Farwell Canyon area is amazing. Likely to Wells/Barkerville via Cariboo Lake is really nice. I've always wanted to do that via Yanks Peak, but I hear the trail is no more and even a real challenge for a quad. Last I asked, I was told to be prepared to abandon your vehicle and walk out never to see it again. Wells to PG would be fun.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Gang Ranch to Lilooet would be fantastic. Never done it

Ive camped a few times at the confluence of churn creek and the fraser river but never taken that road. I explored some of the empire ranch by dirt bike, maybe the last real wilderness in southern BC...not sure if its still so wild anymore
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I grew up in the Kootenays - first in Fernie and then Creston. I spent a lot of time on Kootenay lake when I was a teen. It's a great area to explore. Topper's trip would be a great excursion through the area.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am Gang Ranch to Lilooet would be fantastic. Never done it

Ive camped a few times at the confluence of churn creek and the fraser river but never taken that road. I explored some of the empire ranch by dirt bike, maybe the last real wilderness in southern BC...not sure if its still so wild anymore
Outside the Churn Protected area and Gang Ranch lands, it has all been heavily logged. Part was beetle kill salvage part was to try and re-establish the grasslands instead of the invasive timber. I've worked on a project just south of the protected area. They just closed access from the west side (had seasonal gates and now cement barricades) and the only access now is via Empire Valley.

The Saudi's who bought the Gang Ranch have been putting money back into the operation and it is looking good again.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:20 am

I've been to the Kootenays many times (West mostly, wifey grew up there).

I'm not sure where Trout Lake is... but we've done this one a few times:

Nelson (restaurants!! artists)... Balfour (ferry across and then back again) ... Ainsworth (stay at the hot springs hotel)

... Kaslo... Hwy 31A... Nakusp (hot springs)... Shelter Bay (stay at the hot springs cabins/hotel)... ferry to Revelstoke/back

... Castlegar... Trail (lunch)... Rossland (mine museum)... Grand Forks (borscht!)... etc.

I'm the furthest thing from outdoorsy, but a city slick like me can have a great time wit dat dere in the summertime.

I've left many many things out, like the glass bottle house and whatnot, trust me Dude, go visit the W Kootenays! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Liquor stores closing at 8 on New Year’s Eve, buy your stuff early.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ainsworth hot springs, locally known as geriatric soup