We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:58 am If I were to ask you if you would want someone to have the right to provide a medical service to your children against your consent you would probably say no. If I presented the suggestion by saying it was in your child's best interests, you might say yes in regards to this topic. However, if you actually were convinced that said medical service was NOT in your child's best interest, you would say no.

When we start to force things on people against their will because we believe that it's in their best interests, that's where we go wrong. This applies to medical services, religion, limiting artistic expression, or just about anything you can think of.
So if a child of a Jehovah's Witness requires a blood transfusion to save their life, but of course the JW parent refuses on religious grounds, you don't think it's a good idea to override that?

Mëds: "Let the kid die!"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, the USA had 3265 registered corona deaths yesterday. That's the first day with more than 3000 dead and it means this peak is higher than the first one (2744 on April 21st). They will reach a total of 300,000 before this weekend. :(

Sweden has also seen a second wave but deaths are not quite at the level it was in April; we peaked at 115 in a day on April 8th and 15th. In the second wave we peaked at 67 in late November, but the seven day average now is just 18. Many fear that the numbers will start rising again though after the holidays. People are adviced not to travel and there should be no gatherings of more than 8 people. :|

One of my colleagues is sick in it now. He has been in and out of the hospital and has suffered blood clots, but I think they have managed to fight them back with blood thinners. I hope he will not suffer any permanent damage. They say a lot of people who have had covid, even some that have had the milder versions of it, get reduced lung capacity afterwards, as there is damage to the lung tissue.

I have only seen him in person once since March though, as we've been working from home since then, and that was in early October.
I doubt you can get the virus through zoom or teams... :look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:52 am
Mëds wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:52 pm I have no problem with anti-vaxxers. There are days I feel like putting my foot in their pond. My argument is that if the majority of the population is vaccinated (and really anti-vaxxers are still a small percentage overall) then technically the vaccinated shouldn't have anything to fear from the un-vaccinated.

Yes I realize that vaccines aren't foolproof, and that anyone can still be infected if continually exposed or hit with a large one time exposure to a heavy viral load.
... or they're immunocompromised and can't take the vaccine, or they're a baby that's too young to be vaccinated, or one of the unlucky few percent who've been vaccinated but it was not effective in them (for covid that will be 5%).

So yes, the vaccinated do have something to fear from the un-vaccinated, especially since those anti-vaxxers tend to cluster in affluent neighbourhoods, leading to outbreaks.

I think for covid we are going to have a lot more people holding out, especially in the US. The future will not be covid-free, even with vaccines available.
Meh. The future isn't gonna be influenza free either. We'll still have ebola, measles, chickenpox, norovirus, various bacterial infections, blah, blah, blah.

Covid is going to be just like the Spanish Flu.....nobody had seen it before and got totally hammered with it. Haven't heard much about it since. People still catch it, it's just "the flu" now, along with other influenza-type viruses. They'll turn this into an economic generator too with annual Covid vaccines where they guess at the strain that's coming. Lol.

In 5 years they'll release a vaccine called Fluvid which will be a combination of the flu shot and covid shot all in one.

Then 20 years from now it'll be thought that the entire thing was hyped up as a cash grab for big Pharma and people will start to grumble and there will be some low level civil unrest.....enter Ebola-41. A new strain, but thankfully they'll have a vaccine ready quickly because they'll have been studying ebolavirus for 50 years. :P
Last edited by Meds on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:06 pm So, the USA had 3265 registered corona deaths yesterday. That's the first day with more than 3000 dead and it means this peak is higher than the first one (2744 on April 21st). They will reach a total of 300,000 before this weekend. :(
Sad stuff.

How's this for a hypothetical.....

Will the total deaths in the USA in the year AFTER the pandemic be similar to during (a currently projected rough 10% increase on pre-pandemic)? If so, how many of them will be attributed to missed medical treatments and mental health impacts (suicides, domestic violence) that were directly the result of the lockdown measures that were taken and the fear that was driven by the media?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:06 pm I have only seen him in person once since March though, as we've been working from home since then, and that was in early October.
I doubt you can get the virus through zoom or teams... :look:
Yet.....
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:38 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:58 am If I were to ask you if you would want someone to have the right to provide a medical service to your children against your consent you would probably say no. If I presented the suggestion by saying it was in your child's best interests, you might say yes in regards to this topic. However, if you actually were convinced that said medical service was NOT in your child's best interest, you would say no.

When we start to force things on people against their will because we believe that it's in their best interests, that's where we go wrong. This applies to medical services, religion, limiting artistic expression, or just about anything you can think of.
So if a child of a Jehovah's Witness requires a blood transfusion to save their life, but of course the JW parent refuses on religious grounds, you don't think it's a good idea to override that?

Fuck em. One less idiot to bang on my door and sell Crazy.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:59 pm

Doyle wishing death on abused kids now... :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:58 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:59 pm

Doyle wishing death on abused kids now... :crazy:
The Picktons taught him well ... :?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Odds are, abused kids grow up to be abusers.

Break the cycle.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

There’s no shortage of morons to abuse here :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Apparently the Moderna vaccine has less severe reactions, but a higher rate of adverse reactions, specifically pain and flu-like symptoms. About 1 in 10 were sick for over a week.

The Pfizer vaccine is preferred for healthcare workers as the booster is delivered within 18-21 days, compared with 28-30 days for the Moderna vaccine.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

NEW - Prominent Russian scientist Alexander Kagansky, who was working on a #COVID19 vaccine, plummets to death from his 14th-floor apartment in St. Petersburg.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1 ... 35558?s=20
Why are Russian coronavirus doctors mysteriously falling out of windows?

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/6/21248553/c ... dows-death
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

A new strain of the virus, that seems to spread more easily, has been detected in England.
Most countries are banning travel to and from England, including Scotland (sic!) that has shut down its border.
And so it begins...? :hmmm:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12 ... ns-unclear

Brexit came early. :|

... otr will it be postponed? :look:
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-trade ... n-12169059
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:25 am A new strain of the virus, that seems to spread more easily, has been detected in England.
Most countries are banning travel to and from England, including Scotland (sic!) that has shut down its border.
And so it begins...? :hmmm:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12 ... ns-unclear

Brexit came early. :|

... otr will it be postponed? :look:
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-trade ... n-12169059
You guys welcomed 7 plane loads of infectious englishmen into Sweden today.

:thumbs:

And now we wait....
If you need air...call it in