Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Cornuck »

SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:50 pm TG itchin' to get Q on board.
Can you blame him? :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

[*]Ya but at this point you still need to manage the expansion draft. It would be stupid not too, nothing to gain by playing him more than 10 games.

We don’t know what our D will look like in two years so be practical
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:48 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:14 pm
At this point, you make room. The season is done. If Green and Benning are not willing to play out the rest of the season with the future in mind then I just might become a GillisBro. These two need to stop being stupid. A blatant tank with your future dominating the lineup may be in order, we ain’t winning with the vets, so why the fuck not? If I here Green go on about the little things that Eriksson does, etc I’ll lose it.
You needn't abandon your hatred of all thing Gillis in order to be skeptical, or even overtly critical, of Benning and his plans.
Then why are all you HF Canuck bro’s so quick to defend Gillis if it’s possible to be a BenningHater without being a GillisBro?

Benning inherited a team universally agreed upon, across the board, to possess the worst future outlook AND prospect pool in the NHL at the time of Jim’s hiring? Do you agree RG?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:06 pm [*]Ya but at this point you still need to manage the expansion draft. It would be stupid not too, nothing to gain by playing him more than 10 games.

Its not like were swimming in top end prospects knocking on the door. There are some interesting pieces but they're mostly 2nd tier assets. Seattle gets 1 pick only. They wont get a crack at anything worth much regardless...

I say we dress an all rookies lineup and park the vets in the pressbox. Wheres Lind and Gadjoyovic? Macewan?

Sign and play Lockwood, Hughes...whoever we might like in the NCAA. The final dozen can be about tomorrow.

Nobody cares abour eriksson, bearchi, pearson, leivo, motte, shaller, etc. Theyre waiver wire fodder. Utica time!
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:07 pm
Nobody cares abour eriksson, bearchi, pearson, leivo, motte, shaller, etc. Theyre waiver wire fodder. Utica time!
figuring the etc includes sutter ;)
But yeah, I have to admit. Hard to get motivated.
Really sucks when horvat petey and brock are slumping.

I've convinced myself they're tanking and all are on board and just looking pissed off and disappointed for the impact.
I have to. Sanity is priority.
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed defenceman Quinn Hughes to a three-year, entry-level contract.

"Quinn is an exceptional skater, strong on the puck and plays with creativity and vision," said Benning. "He was a leader on his team at the University of Michigan and has had success at the international level. We're excited for Quinn to join our team and continue to grow his game as a member of the Vancouver Canucks."
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Relief !!!!!!!
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Finally! Wednesdays game might be worth watching. For the first time since i cant remember i didnt even bother watching the vegas game. This would be since before the butcher/quinn trade ffs. Seriously thats a stretch
If you need air...call it in
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:06 pm [*]Ya but at this point you still need to manage the expansion draft. It would be stupid not too, nothing to gain by playing him more than 10 games.

Its not like were swimming in top end prospects knocking on the door. There are some interesting pieces but they're mostly 2nd tier assets. Seattle gets 1 pick only. They wont get a crack at anything worth much regardless...

I say we dress an all rookies lineup and park the vets in the pressbox. Wheres Lind and Gadjoyovic? Macewan?

Sign and play Lockwood, Hughes...whoever we might like in the NCAA. The final dozen can be about tomorrow.

If Hughes plays more than 10 games - it’s 10, not 9, then we will most likely use one of Stecher, Hutton or Juolevi to Seattle.
Yes, Juolevi has to be protected. If Edler signs a deal with a NMC and we play Quinn more than 10 games then we have to expose two of Stecher, Juolevi and Hutton.

It may not be an issue as I expect lots of change on the D this offseason, but if that’s the case whoever the new guy(s) are may also have to be protected.

There’s almost nothing to gain by playing Quinn 11 games this year.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:33 pm Finally! Wednesdays game might be worth watching. For the first time since i cant remember i didnt even bother watching the vegas game. This would be since before the butcher/quinn trade ffs. Seriously thats a stretch
My guess is Quinn plays Friday, not Wednesday. Let him get a practice or two in first, then play him when he’s a bit more ready. Also helps the games played issue.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:00 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:33 pm Finally! Wednesdays game might be worth watching. For the first time since i cant remember i didnt even bother watching the vegas game. This would be since before the butcher/quinn trade ffs. Seriously thats a stretch
My guess is Quinn plays Friday, not Wednesday. Let him get a practice or two in first, then play him when he’s a bit more ready. Also helps the games played issue.
Exactly, need to look long term, the Genius has made enough bad decisions, this should not be one of them.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

We have no idea who, if anyone, Benning may sign or trade for over the next two years. Why complicate things? Name one benefit playing Hughes 11 games instead of 10?
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 pm
At this point, you make room. The season is done. If Green and Benning are not willing to play out the rest of the season with the future in mind then I just might become a GillisBro. These two need to stop being stupid. A blatant tank with your future dominating the lineup may be in order, we ain’t winning with the vets, so why the fuck not? If I here Green go on about the little things that Eriksson does, etc I’ll lose it.
You needn't abandon your hatred of all thing Gillis in order to be skeptical, or even overtly critical, of Benning and his plans.
Then why are all you HF Canuck bro’s so quick to defend Gillis if it’s possible to be a BenningHater without being a GillisBro?

Benning inherited a team universally agreed upon, across the board, to possess the worst future outlook AND prospect pool in the NHL at the time of Jim’s hiring? Do you agree RG?
Are we still doing this? It’s been 5 years, move on - this is the longest breakup with Gillis imaginable. There are 5 players on this team that Gillis had some part in finding - Horvat (drafted), Gaudette (Gillis got the pick used to get him), Markstrom (Luongo trade), Hutton (drafted), Tanev (signed). Edler was already here. In case you were counting, that’s 3 of your 6 best players, along with Petey and Boeser, that Gillis gave to Jimbo, and arguably 5 of your best 10.

The rest of the filler on this roster is directly attributable to Jimbo and he’s been here 5 seasons, so let’s focus on that. This coming offseason will be his 6th in charge, that must be enough time to give him some credit and/or blame.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Like I said, I've never posted on HF, and I've only ever been there when directed from here. I have no recollection of ever having defended Gillis beyond suggesting that Horvat was a good draft pick. Perhaps you can find some more resounding endorsement in the archives.

Oh, hey, speaking of the archives:

http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... on#p293391
I have long since conceded -- at least for the sake of argument on this board -- that Benning had a difficult starting position.
and

http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... on#p286465
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 am ...The reason the Canucks' performance in the 2018/2019 season matters so much to us is because this -- much more than any individual draft, trade, or contract -- will be the most direct, obvious, and important measure of how good a job Benning has done on the rebuild.

Now I have been skeptical, but I've also tried to keep an open mind. If the Canucks win six games in the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs, I will allow that Jim Benning has done an excellent job with the rebuild (Yes, Dude, especially in light of his difficult starting position).

But if the Canucks win zero games in the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs (whether because they are swept, or fail to qualify), will you, Doc, admit that Benning's rebuild effort has been less than worthy of the appellation "genius" ?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

is anyone really worried about having to expose the lil trojan in the expansion draft?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.