Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Mickey107 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:10 pm
read more including twitter videos etc here - https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-S ... 194/108274
from this article; ^^^^^
Finally, I'll wrap up today with thoughts on a more ripe Canucks prospect — 24-year-old Jalen Chatfield, who gets the Ben Kuzma treatment in The Province today.

Originally signed as an unrestricted free agent from the OHL's Windsor Spitfires in 2017, Chatfield went on to win the Memorial Cup later that spring, then saddled up with the Utica Comets. Offense is not exactly his strong suit — in 142 AHL games over three seasons, he has two goals and 17 points, total. He has also missed significant time with injuries, playing 60 games in his rookie season, 34 in 2018-19 and 48 last year.

Nevertheless, Jim Benning seems to have Chatfield at the top of the list of candidates to fill the hole on the right side of the defense corps that has been left after the departures of Chris Tanev and Troy Stecher, and the arrival of Nate Schmidt.

"He’s a lot like (Zack) MacEwen," Canucks general manager Jim Benning told Kuzma. "He (Chatfield) is such a competitive guy that he’s going to figure out a way to be a good player in the league. He has worked extremely hard.

"He’s kind of a cross between Tanev and Stecher because he takes away time and space and has excellent mobility. He can get back and transition the puck up ice fast and he’s smart defensively. And he can be physical and get in your face."

With Olli Juolevi almost certainly pencilled in as an NHL regular this year, Chatfield may have the inside track on that sixth or seventh spot. But he'll have to fend off other challengers like the offensively gifted Brogan Rafferty and left-sider Jack Rathbone if he wants to see his name on the lineup sheet on opening night — whenever and wherever that might be.
Micky is most definitely not sold on Jalen Chatfield. I guess anything is possible and he will get his chance thru the training camp process, however,
my bet would not be on this.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:18 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:09 pm Maybe hes got a shit locker like Doyle
Or bird twigs like the Cook
Chef used to have legs like Marty, hauling his roofing tools up the hills of North Van every time he got a 90-day suspension on his 5-speed, but then he invested in an e-bike and glides on up to the mountaintops, leaving his once-mighty gams a shadow of their former glory.

Weirdly, he still has massive calves though...
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Micky wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:15 pm Micky is most definitely not sold on Jalen Chatfield. I guess anything is possible and he will get his chance thru the training camp process, however,
my bet would not be on this.
This kid looks to project as a solid #6/7 D-man. Jason Strudwick's astronomical levels of offense, and solid D. And, that' what I really want from my bottom pairing for under a $mil.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Tciso wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:11 am This kid looks to project as a solid #6/7 D-man. Jason Strudwick's astronomical levels of offense, and solid D. And, that' what I really want from my bottom pairing for under a $mil.
I think jalen has a shot to carve out a Tanev like career if he’s paired with a top notch puck mover.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:37 pm
Tciso wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:11 am This kid looks to project as a solid #6/7 D-man. Jason Strudwick's astronomical levels of offense, and solid D. And, that' what I really want from my bottom pairing for under a $mil.
I think jalen has a shot to carve out a Tanev like career if he’s paired with a top notch puck mover.

:lol: Jesus fucking Christ. The guy is a 24 year old bottom pairing scub in the AHL. Tanev was a top pairing D man at that age. Tanev played in the finals as an undrafted 21 year old. The only thing they have in common is they both weren’t drafted. Chatfield will be lucky to ever make it as a regular.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Dear holy bejeebus...please keep that fucking scrub off my hockey team. I promise i wont jerk off or triple toke any more...i swear
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:54 pm Dear holy bejeebus...please keep that fucking scrub off my hockey team. I promise i wont jerk off or triple toke any more...i swear
Dick is obviously trolling. Kinda like how he said Tanev was now a 3 million dollar D man. In the months before everyone kinda agreed he was a 4- 4.5 million dollar player... I still wouldn’t have given him four years due to our financial constraints, but Calgary’s roster isn’t riddled with bad contracts so they could afford to go four years.

Dickie must be bored saying how Razor Thin Olaf is going to bump Edler down to th bottom pairing in short order. Now this gem. What’s next Horvat to the 3rd line as a matchup guy? :lol:

Chatfield is an awful player.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Edler is still a damn good defenseman and I cant see him falling out of Vancouvers big 4 this year at all.

Of the 3 kids who are banging on the door I'd say Jack Rathbone is the one who could surprise and thats more to do with him being an unknown entity. I still think the Canucks acquire a bargain bin bottom pairing vet before the season starts.
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Michael Stone might be had for room and board and a good second hand rental car if Mr Aquilini is amenable.
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:46 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:37 pm

:lol: Jesus fucking Christ. The guy is a 24 year old bottom pairing scub in the AHL. Tanev was a top pairing D man at that age. Tanev played in the finals as an undrafted 21 year old. The only thing they have in common is they both weren’t drafted. Chatfield will be lucky to ever make it as a regular.
lol yeah Chatfield ain't no Tanev, but hopefully he can be a steady D presence if he ever makes it, at least the #7/#8 guy.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 pm lol yeah Chatfield ain't no Tanev, but hopefully he can be a steady D presence if he ever makes it, at least the #7/#8 guy.
Come to think of it, I went to the rookie camp a couple years back and Chatfield was there, he did remind me a bit of Tanev.

Guess it all depends on what Greener wants in his bottom pairing.

If it's a defensive minded guy who's tuff to play against, Chatfield is his man
If it's an offensive minded guy, who can move the puck and jump up into the play, it's Rafferty
If it's a solid 2-way guy, who can do a bit of everything, it's Olaf.

:P
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:39 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 pm lol yeah Chatfield ain't no Tanev, but hopefully he can be a steady D presence if he ever makes it, at least the #7/#8 guy.
Guess it all depends on what Greener wants in his bottom pairing.

If it's a defensive minded guy who's tuff to play against, Chatfield is his man
If it's an offensive minded guy, who can move the puck and jump up into the play, it's Rafferty
If it's a solid 2-way guy, who can do a bit of everything, it's Olaf.

:P
And who can slide on up to top four when injuries happen like to Myers or Steady Eddy. Remember; big Jordie can play either side so there are
a plenitude of options just because of that there fact. Maybe the highly educated jack Rathbone blows into town and knocks Green's slippers off. :shock:
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Micky wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:10 am And who can slide on up to top four when injuries happen like to Myers or Steady Eddy. Remember; big Jordie can play either side so there are
a plenitude of options just because of that there fact. Maybe the highly educated jack Rathbone blows into town and knocks Green's slippers off. :shock:
Yeah, Rathbone has a chance as well. I just think he's the youngest and is the most greenest, so I think he'd benefit big time from a year or 2 in the minors. It's a big jump from college hockey to the NHL, so I'll be surprised if it's him. In a couple of years, he may be the best of the lot from our current crop of d-men prospects though.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:00 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:54 pm Dear holy bejeebus...please keep that fucking scrub off my hockey team. I promise i wont jerk off or triple toke any more...i swear
... I still wouldn’t have given him four years due to our financial constraints, but Calgary’s roster isn’t riddled with bad contracts so they could afford to go four years.

It is now. In 2 years, they will be wondering why they have those extra years on those guys.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Dickie must be bored saying how Razor Thin Olaf
You must be thinking of Noah “6’-4” 180 lbs Dobson? He’s very razor thin. Not Olli. Olli is 6’-3” 200 lbs

Brandon Birdbones Sutter - 6’-3” 190 lbs
Noah Stringbeans Dobson - 6’-4” 180 lbs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau