Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Cherry Picker »

Micky wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:27 am Anything with the constipated whale is a disappointment. These are meh. Not terrible but not worth spending money on. If they had some balls, they would have done the 80s giant Vs for reverse retro in blue, green and black. Best jersey in the last year is still the stick and rink, closely followed by the spaghetti plate.
They almost had balls , or so it would seem. Now this mock-up , I could live with permanently!
That mock up or one with the more modern stick and rink is the best and should be their main jersey.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:37 pm
Micky wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:27 am Anything with the constipated whale is a disappointment. These are meh. Not terrible but not worth spending money on. If they had some balls, they would have done the 80s giant Vs for reverse retro in blue, green and black. Best jersey in the last year is still the stick and rink, closely followed by the spaghetti plate.
They almost had balls , or so it would seem. Now this mock-up , I could live with permanently!
That mock up or one with the more modern stick and rink is the best and should be their main jersey.
Ya, I could really get use to that one for all home games, permanently.
"evolution"
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Oh, I dunno. How about this....

el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/fi ... longs-nhl/
Finally healthy, Canucks' Olli Juolevi ready to prove he belongs in NHL

Iain MacIntyre

VANCOUVER – The last time Olli Juolevi felt this healthy was 2½ years ago, before he injured his back training for the transition to professional hockey in North America.

After that, there was a significant knee injury with the AHL's Utica Comets -- and two more surgeries. Then a perplexing hip issue.

Juolevi spent the last two off-seasons trying to get healthy. Now fully fit, he’s finally able to focus on getting better.

The Stanley Cup playoff bubble last summer and its lack of media access meant there wasn’t much written about Juolevi’s long-awaited NHL debut in a series-clinching win against the Minnesota Wild on Aug. 7.

Juolevi logged six minutes and 16 seconds, killed one penalty, wasn’t involved in any goals and helped keep the Wild shot-less while he was on the ice. OK, so maybe, that performance didn’t merit a five-part deep dive.

But he’s going to get a lot more attention if the NHL opens another season in January because even before the exodus of players from Vancouver in free agency, Juolevi was pencilled in as the Canucks' third left-side defenceman.

General manager Jim Benning has said numerous times that Juolevi is ready for the next step. It’s a doozy.

“For sure, it’s difficult times when you’re injured,” Juolevi said. “But I feel every time I’ve played and I’ve been healthy, I’ve played good hockey. That gives you confidence. Even this past year in Utica, the team and how we played, it was really good for me.

“It’s always been more rehabbing and trying to get healthy than actually working out and getting better. Now, when you’re healthy, it feels great that you can focus on getting better. It’s a huge thing for me right now.

“Just the way I can play a defensive game now, it’s a huge difference (from four years ago). I’m definitely a better player overall. I think I’m really close to the player I always thought I could be. I think my pucks skills and my hockey IQ has always been there, and now you add that defensive side of the game, it’s going to be really good.”

Despite a month-long shutdown in the middle of last season due to ongoing soreness in his hip – possibly a byproduct of his knee injury – Juolevi had a productive development year with the Comets. He had 25 points in 45 games and added defensive duties, including the penalty kill.

The COVID-19 pause last spring allowed Juolevi to further heal and fully train, and he was excellent at the Canucks’ summer camp, playing his way on to the expanded playoff roster. When third-pairing defenceman Oscar Fantenberg was unable to play against Minnesota, coach Travis Green went with Juolevi.

Fantenberg is now in the Kontinental Hockey League.

“I only knew after the warmups that I was in that night,” Juolevi recalled. “There wasn’t too much time to be nervous or anything like that. It was a great team. And of course, I’d been waiting for that for a long time.

“I think there’s a lot of guys that dream to play in the NHL. It was a little different for me that my first game came in the bubble. But I always believed and knew that I was good enough to play there, and when I got the chance I would show it. It was a really good experience.”

Don't give up on OJ folks!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Olli is gonna push edler to bottom pairing by the end of the year. Heard it here first guys.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

He's twent-two years old FFS. It's just the beginning for the kid. Historically, that's not at all late for a defenseman debuting on a regular shift basis.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:49 am Olli is gonna push edler to bottom pairing by the end of the year. Heard it here first guys.
He will probably blow by Hughes while he does it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:16 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:49 am Olli is gonna push edler to bottom pairing by the end of the year. Heard it here first guys.
He will probably blow by Hughes while he does it.
Typical Doyle, has to blast his bullshit and hyperbole.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I hope you're right, this could be OJ's year!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:27 pm
It will be, plus edler is getting old.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Juolevi might even push Edler right into retirement.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Brothers Ford Bronco Allstar
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:29 pm
The Brown Brothers Ford Bronco Allstar
Not that OJ. :mad:

But maybe this OJ becomes the next Don Docksteader All Star!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 pm Juolevi might even push Edler right into retirement.
Olaf will be the next Teppo Numminin. :P
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Just wait until you see Olli's inside leg trip takedown in the net front scrum.

They don't call him The Dragon in Utica for nothing ;)
el rey del mambo