LOL

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: LOL

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:46 pm

The world was perfect from around 1975 til about 5 years ago. How could we fuck it all up so fast
The 70’s were great, the days when a kid could watch his Dad play a baseball game at Oppenheimer Park, walk to the corner store at Cordova and Main with Old Drunk Ray the babysitter so he could get another pack of smokes. The drug addicts and homeless and mentally ill were nowhere in sight, just drunks white and native, ex cons, no drugs no lunatics, just a bunch of harmless drinkers.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:59 am

The world was perfect from around 1975 til about 5 years ago. How could we fuck it all up so fast
The 70’s were great, the days when a kid could watch his Dad play a baseball game at Oppenheimer Park, walk to the corner store at Cordova and Main with Old Drunk Ray the babysitter so he could get another pack of smokes. The drug addicts and homeless and mentally ill were nowhere in sight, just drunks white and native, ex cons, no drugs no lunatics, just a bunch of harmless drinkers.
Shit ya it wasnt the hell it has become of late thats for sure.

My mother was a community nurse for those bums at Central City Mission back in the late 70s and 80s. I used to catch the hastings bus downtown after school from burnaby and walk all along there safely as a 10 year old. Stop at army and navy, Vics for grilled cheese then to woodwards toy floor to hang out til mum got off work. Sometimes I would go on the calls with her to see these old dudes in their rooms above the rat bars.

Hilarious old smelly pisstanks but totally harmless
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:44 am

My mother was a community nurse for those bums at Central City Mission back in the late 70s and 80s. I used to catch the hastings bus downtown after school from burnaby and walk all along there safely as a 10 year old. Stop at army and navy, Vics for grilled cheese then to woodwards toy floor to hang out til mum got off work. Sometimes I would go on the calls with her to see these old dudes in their rooms above the rat bars.

The 70’s was the tail end of the DTES until the bleeding hearts took over leading up to the disastrous “Downtown Eastside Plan” putting an end to “market housing” in that main and Hastings radius making it 60% “social housing” “SRO’s” concentrating the disaster into one localized area in which now we have seen expanding and expanding and expanding since the ridiculous plan was introduced creating one of North America’s worst, if not the, biggest inner city ghettos in which has has now taken over Japantown, Railtown, Gastown, Chinatown, Strathcona. Way to go Vancouver, brilliant plan! Take a bow you fucktards, great idea - let’s create a ghetto. Biggest mistake ever made, you need a fair neighborhood blend between market housing and social housing and not heavily slanted in favour of social housing. Now you get what you get, a giant shit show that is slowly taking over neighbouring neighborhoods. I guess us taxpayers will burden the escalating healthcare costs of taking care of this lovely expanding ghetto of ours now. Right on
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:44 am

From the time I could walk my dad would send me a half-mile to Tom's grocery store to buy him a pack of smokes.

You didn't have to be a certain age, plus TV commercials were telling us smoking was good for you!

(stress-reliever... also you weren't a real man if you didn't smoke)

So yeah, I'd reach up and slap 2 quarters on the counter... or a 50 cent piece... and yell out: "Players Filter please!"

Summer days my pals and I would walk downtown to sneak into movies and pump slugs in the pinball and candy machines.

We weren't rich like Wiz so couldn't usually afford the 15 cents for the bus...

Besides, we'd rather use real money for firecrackers, wooden matches, and our homemade mini "bombs" parts.

But once in a while we'd take the bus...

We'd go downtown in the AM when you could get a long transfer.

Save it and re-tear it for the appropriate PM time and use it for coming home.

We felt like kings, twas an extremely happy childhood!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:55 am The 70’s was the tail end of the DTES until the bleeding hearts took over leading up to the disastrous “Downtown Eastside Plan” putting an end to “market housing” in that main and Hastings radius making it 60% “social housing” “SRO’s” concentrating the disaster into one localized area in which now we have seen expanding and expanding and expanding since the ridiculous plan was introduced creating one of North America’s worst, if not the, biggest inner city ghettos in which has has now taken over Japantown, Railtown, Gastown, Chinatown, Strathcona. Way to go Vancouver, brilliant plan! Take a bow you fucktards, great idea - let’s create a ghetto. Biggest mistake ever made, you need a fair neighborhood blend between market housing and social housing and not heavily slanted in favour of social housing. Now you get what you get, a giant shit show that is slowly taking over neighbouring neighborhoods. I guess us taxpayers will burden the escalating healthcare costs of taking care of this lovely expanding ghetto of ours now. Right on
I hung out with the kids in the Ray-Mur project for a while.

Wild parties every night in the clubhouse, not an adult in sight.

Sometimes we'd break into apartments in the daytime while the occupants were at work.

We'd watch TV, eat snacks, one time one of the guys cooked us up a mess of bacon and eggs!

Just needed a screwdriver to gain access...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

A lot of industrial zoned buildings up for sale right now in that DTES radius. Looks like business owners are trying to cash out while they can. I don’t blame them, smart move due to the cities ambitious plan to turn the entire DTES into the ghettos.

Run for the hills!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Just think of alll the fun shit we got to do in the 70s and 80s...the modern day conveniences and connectivity has ruined everything. Young people cant comprehend what theyre even missing.

Is there a PNE anyomore? I wonder who was the very last kid was to hop that fence. Must be decades ago

When i visit there now all i see are red light lineups with dozens of Mathonwys driving 4 door hondas with coffee tables mountd on the trunks and golden plastic kleenex boxes
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:18 pm When i visit there now all i see are red light lineups with dozens of Mathonwys driving 4 door hondas with coffee tables mountd on the trunks and golden plastic kleenex boxes
:mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:18 pm Just think of alll the fun shit we got to do in the 70s and 80s...the modern day conveniences and connectivity has ruined everything. Young people cant comprehend what theyre even missing.
Trips to the downtown record stores were great in the late 70s. Tons of new music coming out, and browsing - maybe hearing something in the store would spark a purchase. No online reviews, streaming or other 'clues'. Radio wasn't playing the bands I was looking for, so you would go by word of mouth, related bands, etc. Read the liner notes on the way home.

These days, a new album comes out, I stream it - it might be good or even great, but the 'connection' is lost.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Cornuck wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:24 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:18 pm Just think of alll the fun shit we got to do in the 70s and 80s...the modern day conveniences and connectivity has ruined everything. Young people cant comprehend what theyre even missing.
Trips to the downtown record stores were great in the late 70s. Tons of new music coming out, and browsing - maybe hearing something in the store would spark a purchase. No online reviews, streaming or other 'clues'. Radio wasn't playing the bands I was looking for, so you would go by word of mouth, related bands, etc. Read the liner notes on the way home.

These days, a new album comes out, I stream it - it might be good or even great, but the 'connection' is lost.
Granville, between A&B sound and hastings, east side. Used and consignment record store, cant recall the name but was a great place to buy music.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:42 pm Granville, between A&B sound and hastings, east side. Used and consignment record store, cant recall the name but was a great place to buy music.
Are you thinking of Collectors RPM?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

You guys really need to get this thread back on topic
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:50 pm You guys really need to get this thread back on topic
I agree. The next thing that happens will be Gomer cluttering up the thread with more links.

This thread is dedicated to bashing the twits at hfboards Canucks
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:02 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:50 pm You guys really need to get this thread back on topic
I agree. The next thing that happens will be Gomer cluttering up the thread with more links.

This thread is dedicated to bashing the twits at hfboards Canucks
Mathonwy drinks homo milk?
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I remember taking the Pacific Coach Lines bus down King George Hwy into the bus depot at the Royal Towers Hotel in New West and getting the all day bus pass on Sundays when I was 12-13. Hop on the PCL, light up a smoke and before I new it I was in the big city (New West). Get on the trolley bus, buy that pass, light up another smoke (you need at least half a pack for the trip). I remember lighting up a smoke and wandering around Woodward's when it was open, it was closed on Sundays of course. I enjoyed just seeing the sights back then.
el rey del mambo