Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:25 pm https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-could-play ... content_id

NHL exploring temporary realignment, short-term hubs for 2020-21

Commissioner Bettman says League could play reduced schedule amid pandemic

https://theathletic.com/2187334/2020/11 ... 21-season/

NHL player poll: Bubbles, schedules and more thoughts on the 2020-21 season

61.8% of players polled said that they would be willing to spend half the season or less in a bubble.

32.4% said that they weren't willing to play in a bubble again at all.

The remaining 5.8% were willing to spend the full campaign in a bubble.

Thoughts Micky?
We'll see a 20-21 season of sorts. If the NBA plays a season the NHL will. The NHL return to play with their enlarged bubble playoffs did lousy on
the viewership ratings (61%), but it sure did help getting contracts done and players situated with their new teams.
Sure not sorry it happened. Was a F***ing blast.

The Athletic polled a small selection of players (34 from 12 different teams) is a small sample. :P We know how misleading polls can be.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:41 pm 32.4% said that they weren't willing to play in a bubble again at all.

Just fucking cancel the season Bettman! Ain't gonna happen.
They can’t afford to cancel.

Bettman will remind the owners of how much a total percentage of revenue of the sports market industry they lost when they were the league that didn’t play when they were locked out. Darts, poker, soccer (in North America), etc all gained market share of the sports industry. It was years before hockey viewing regained its following, and in a gate driven league, they simply can’t afford to be the major sport that doesn’t go.

NHL can’t afford to be the league that doesn’t play for a year.

Can owners afford to have viewers deciding to watch the poker playoffs opposed to opening night?

Bettman might be a dick, but he knows business. And he remembers.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:46 am
5thhorseman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:41 pm 32.4% said that they weren't willing to play in a bubble again at all.

Bettman will remind the owners of how much a total percentage of revenue of the sports market industry they lost when they were the league that didn’t play when they were locked out. Darts, poker, soccer (in North America), etc all gained market share of the sports industry. It was years before hockey viewing regained its following, and in a gate driven league, they simply can’t afford to be the major sport that doesn’t go.

Can owners afford to have viewers deciding to watch the poker playoffs opposed to opening night?

Exactly. They have TV deals and a long term future to think about. Easy for the fans to say ‘just cancel the season’

It doesn’t work that way.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

They figured out how to save the playoffs, and pulled it off quite well. I'm guessing they'll put together some kind of season, although likely shortened. As long as the Jakes of the league don't go out and do dumb shit.

I'm not expecting 82 games, but guessing between 40 and 60, with maybe a repeat of the playins and playoffs.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:11 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:46 am

Exactly. They have TV deals and a long term future to think about. Easy for the fans to say ‘just cancel the season’

It doesn’t work that way.
I'm sure Bettman knows business and wants the season to start and so do the owners, but they have to deal with the reality of covid. With cases surging in the US, the virus spread is out of control and the only hope for normality is vaccinating enough of the population to see the effects of herd immunity. If the season goes ahead in January, it will be entirely in a bubble, from start to finish, including the playoffs, and Canada segregated for the regular season due to indefinite border closure. With only 5.8% of players willing to do that, how likely is this to happen?
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:01 am They figured out how to save the playoffs, and pulled it off quite well. I'm guessing they'll put together some kind of season, although likely shortened. As long as the Jakes of the league don't go out and do dumb shit.

I'm not expecting 82 games, but guessing between 40 and 60, with maybe a repeat of the playins and playoffs.
I’m thinking 42-48 like the strike shorten seasons.

Bubbles with maybe a 2 weeks break in the middle. When you come back 100% testing and then finish the season.

Playoffs with each bubble producing 1 division team each = 4 teams. These 4 finish off the playoffs.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Now that we know how much of an impact ventilation has on spread, wouldn't it be cool if all games were played outdoors?

Then you could sell 18000 tickets to play in a stadium with social distancing.

Start after the SuperBowl and there will be scads of empty football stadiums to set up in.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

^^ I'm sure the ice in California will be top notch.

But at least they can have scantily-clad cheerleaders at the games!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:07 pm ^^ I'm sure the ice in California will be top notch.

Good point - the Candlestick area of San Fran is pretty bleeding cold in January, so that takes care of San Jose. Anaheim and LA will be a problem. Phoenix and Florida will be fine to play somewhere else, since no one shows up to their home games anyways. Imagine Phoenix and Florida being based in Saskatoon and Quebec City for January/February??! That would be amazing, and beef up the number of opponents for the Canadian Division.

There could also be sunbelt teams in Seattle, Green Bay, Ann Arbor/other college towns...

Vegas might be ok if its after-dark, the desert gets freezing at night.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

ESQ wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:28 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:07 pm ^^ I'm sure the ice in California will be top notch.

Good point - the Candlestick area of San Fran is pretty bleeding cold in January, so that takes care of San Jose. Anaheim and LA will be a problem. Phoenix and Florida will be fine to play somewhere else, since no one shows up to their home games anyways. Imagine Phoenix and Florida being based in Saskatoon and Quebec City for January/February??! That would be amazing, and beef up the number of opponents for the Canadian Division.

There could also be sunbelt teams in Seattle, Green Bay, Ann Arbor/other college towns...

Vegas might be ok if its after-dark, the desert gets freezing at night.
As much as I love the idea of hockey in Saskatoon, Nobody (not even me) watches an out door hockey game in Jan or Feb. there is a 2-3 week period where the weather is -30 to -40. That shit kills people in a couple minutes once the wind gets up.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:01 am With only 5.8% of players willing to do that, how likely is this to happen?
I am just gonna take a swing for the fences here, and state that ain't gonna happen. Players might say they are not willing to play in a bubble again, but I can think of several hundred million reasons for the players to play. Some of the over 30 crowd who have made their $$ might prefer to opt out <*cough* Loui *cough*> But, there are a lot of guys who just signed their meal ticket contracts who know that any money is better than no money. And for the up-and-comers, they know that there is another kid knocking on the door to take their place.

I am pretty sure that if the poll question is "Do you want to get paid for the 2020/2021 season, will you play in a bubble"
1) Yes
2) Yes, but I will grumble
3) Yes, but I will publically say it sucks
4) Yes, but I would prefer not to be in a bubble
5 ) Yes but <insert yet another excuse.>
6) Sure. What the fuck
7) It sure beats pumping gas
8) ????
98) Yes, but........
99) No.

There. That looks like a more appropriate poll.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:29 am
As much as I love the idea of hockey in Saskatoon, Nobody (not even me) watches an out door hockey game in Jan or Feb. there is a 2-3 week period where the weather is -30 to -40. That shit kills people in a couple minutes once the wind gets up.
Ah good point - a true Vancouverite, I've never been east of the Rockies in the winter, save for 48 hours in Calgary.

When would it be "nice" to play outdoors in Saskabush? Is early-December too late? I seem to recall Grey Cups getting brutally cold by late-November, but is that more of a crapshoot?

When does it get "nice" enough in the spring to survive sitting outdoors for a couple hours, March? April?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tciso wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:59 am
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:01 am With only 5.8% of players willing to do that, how likely is this to happen?
I am just gonna take a swing for the fences here, and state that ain't gonna happen. Players might say they are not willing to play in a bubble again, but I can think of several hundred million reasons for the players to play. Some of the over 30 crowd who have made their $$ might prefer to opt out <*cough* Loui *cough*> But, there are a lot of guys who just signed their meal ticket contracts who know that any money is better than no money. And for the up-and-comers, they know that there is another kid knocking on the door to take their place.

I am pretty sure that if the poll question is "Do you want to get paid for the 2020/2021 season, will you play in a bubble"
1) Yes
2) Yes, but I will grumble
3) Yes, but I will publically say it sucks
4) Yes, but I would prefer not to be in a bubble
5 ) Yes but <insert yet another excuse.>
6) Sure. What the fuck
7) It sure beats pumping gas
8) ????
98) Yes, but........
99) No.

There. That looks like a more appropriate poll.
Alt. 1) Yes if nooky is arranged.

Honesty will be understood, even, appreciated by the fans of the game.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/13 ... 6181070855
Greg Wyshynski
@wyshynski

From today's column on ESPN+, this is what I'm hearing for potential divisions for the NHL 2020-21 season: https://espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id ... dings-more

Canucks will win the Canadian division, Leaves might creep back into the playoffs after missing last season.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I wonder if they'll only play within their divisions...?

With the cdn div at 7 teams but the rest have 8, it would mean some sort of statistical advantage to be up north.

Per....please...tear your eyes away from rudy juliani's dye stained temple and tell the audience the precise statistical advantage the cdn teams would enjoy!
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need air...call it in