We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:59 am Image

U.S. Virus Cases Climb Toward a Third Peak

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... iM6u_yKxxw
Florida is an interesting spot to look at on the map in that link. They've stayed open and their governor has refused to do anything other than to champion constitutional rights. Now the case density is thinning out as the wave moves west. New York not so much though.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:47 pm
Shouldn't this be in the conspiracy theory thread?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:59 am
Shouldn't this be in the conspiracy theory thread?
Why? If this group has expert opinions with legit credentials, why are they any more or less conspiracists than the people they are trying to sue?

If they are willing to state facts and present them in a court of law, then let them be weighed there.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:29 am
Per wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:59 am Shouldn't this be in the conspiracy theory thread?
Why? If this group has expert opinions with legit credentials, why are they any more or less conspiracists than the people they are trying to sue?

If they are willing to state facts and present them in a court of law, then let them be weighed there.
Sure, but the idea that the whole pandemic is a fake in order to make some money for Big Pharma?
I mean, first of all, more than a million people have died from covid-19, thousands of companies have gone bankrupt, millions have lost their jobs...

How can anyone believe this could be just a hoax? Imagine how many people world wide that must have been in on it, imagine how many of these would stand to lose fortunes from it? I mean, there is no way you can do something like that. It's impossible.

Within one country? Possibly. World wide? Not a freaking chance.

Did some governments overreact? Sure! Did some governments overstep the limitations of their authority? Sure!
But that's what people do when they panic.

There is no way this was premediated, and different countries have reacted in different ways.

What also strikes me is that I can find no mentioning of this Reiner Füllmich on wikipedia, the BBC or any major English, American, Swedish or German news source. The sites I find mentioning him are always obscure, and many have ties to RT (Russian Times) or AfD (Alternative für Deutschland). Not the most reliable sources, imho.

I did actually find an article in Frankfurter Allgemeine that mentions him, but the article is from 2002, when he was involved in a class action suit against credit companies knocking on doors and talking people into taking questionable loans, so not quite relevant to this, except that it confirms that he is a lawyer that does take part in class action suits.

I mean, if what he is saying in that video is correct, why isn't it on the news? And yeah, I know the alt right people claim that the mainstream media is all fake news, but listen, there are hundreds of news sources in every country around the world, some lean right, some lean left, some are centrist. There is no way all media everywhere would shut up about something this big - if it were real. And there's the rub.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Nobody is saying the pandemic is fake. At least that's not what I picked up from that. They are saying that the severity of it is fake. Did you miss the part where they redefined pandemic a decade ago? Then pandemic fits the description of a pandemic. Infectious spread beyond international borders and regions.

The fear mongering is what they are going after. The fraudulent early models. They are claiming that bad science was used. They are claiming that public statistics are falsified. This is TOTALLY possible. Just look at all the misinformation spewed around in regards to political candidates every election year. Obama's birth certificate, Trump and Russia.....just two examples from both sides of the political spectrum neither of which have actually been proven true but the initial accusations still remain in some minds as being the true story.

As for how many people would have to be involved.....it's fewer than you think. Look at how few people actually own almost everything in the world. They give the marching orders. And realistically all you have to do is give most major media outlets a piece of news that fits in the category that most people would say is "bad news" and they just run with it because it's such click bait. The media controls the masses dude. Look at the major shift in "journalism" over the last 20 years, especially the last 10. A sniff of a story, nothing more than a headline really, and it's shotgunned all over the place as quickly as it can be. Often with a caveat in the story of "more to come". In the cases where it was not true you'll find a buried retraction somewhere, or simply a dropped story when there's no need for a retraction but the actual facts don't warrant the big splash that was initially made. However that first headline sure got the masses talking and speculating.

I'm not actually saying that what this guy just read off for 32 minutes and change is the gospel truth. I'm just saying that it will be interesting to see where this goes, and that I hope it does go the distance so that evidence has to be presented. However this guy is NOT going to get much traction in the mainstream media because of who controls said media.

For example....

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-mu ... -right-now

The media ran for weeks on the embarrassment that was the Presidential Debate and gave second tier headline coverage to actual atrocities being committed in the name of popular movements, nor to some of the fundamental changes that various parties are trying to make to the foundations of American Democracy. Why?

Per you have to consider the world we live in right now, and the absolute insanity that is everywhere. Rational thought and objectivism has gone out the window. How is it possible that we have seen such a massive, and rapid, change here over the last 20 years? Yes you can see it coming slowly over the last 60-70 years, but the snowball effect is insane.

Let me ask you something Per (this is a wild hypothetical btw). If Johnny Gadreau walked up to you and told you that he is a7 year old 6 foot 5 asian female, would you agree with him?

Watch these for 8 minutes.....it's a different topic than our initial here, but I think it makes a case for how easy it is for something like this to be sold to society.

I realize that this is a small sample size, but it is certainly representative of a good chunk of our current and up and coming society.

How can an (allegedly) intelligent, and educated person, accept something like that?

I'm not interested in getting into the psychological side of gender identity. My issue with this is how is it possible that we are willing to throw objective evidentiary science out the door, in the case of those videos we are ignoring basic biology.

How?

Easy. Because the mainstream education and media has conditioned you to accept objective falsehoods as subjective truth. They've spun things so hard that telling someone they are wrong is borderline criminal if you offend them with facts.....it can do the exact same thing with global events.

So back to the pandemic topic and my opinion on it.....

Is there a pandemic? According to the current definition, yes.

Is Covid-19 a real thing? Yes. I spent 5 days in the hospital with it, and I believe what the doctors told me, that I tested positive.

Do I think the reported numbers are accurate? No. I think that far more people have been infected with it, but I also think that the numbers are disproportionately over-representing active infections.

Is Covid-19 as deadly as they initially forecasted. I don't think so. It spreads rampantly, however the mortality rate is actually proving to be much lower than we thought. We don't have any truly long-term information yet. A bad case of influenza related pneumonia can have lingering post-infection effects for anywhere from 1-12 months before a full recovery, and some people end up permanently effected by it.

Will there be unknown consequences down the road? Possibly. Nobody knows for sure. Other viruses are known to cause similar secondary effects due to systemic inflammatory immune responses.

Have there been greater spillover ramifications to society, to individual people (economic, social, and health), to cultures, to rights and freedoms, than there have been to individuals who have been sick with, or even died, from Covid-19? Absolutely. I'm not being dismissive, nor making light, of people dying and families losing loved ones, simply pointing out that the vast majority of these have been people over the age of 65, and an even greater majority of the total have been individuals with comorbidities (some not even aware of them). These were people who probably would have died from a moderate case of influenza, or even a bad case of another strain of coronavirus infection that wasn't Covid-19.

Here we are in Canada and provinces are locking down again. This is the second time we are ignoring the research that states that lockdowns simply don't work. What's even more mind boggling is that we actually have a nation (yours) that ran contrary to the flow in the initial phase of this very pandemic and has come out of it with far fewer negative societal effects, and actually presents with similar statistics in terms of infection and mortality rate to the rest of the planet.....yet we are still operating ignorantly and about to repeat a destructive process. And more and more educated, expert, opinions are coming out saying this is wrong, yet the powers that be are wedded to the few that, for whatever reason, want to see this happen.

I think that society is being herded like cattle, for what purpose, well I guess we'll see.
Last edited by Meds on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

One of my current clients Mom is dying from Covid, they are expecting her to pass within the next 24 hrs. She caught it from the 2nd wave that hit the Haro Care facility. Other than being of old age and in need of care she was a picture of health. Her life is being taken sooner than it should be.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:53 pm One of my current clients Mom is dying from Covid, they are expecting her to pass within the next 24 hrs. She caught it from the 2nd wave that hit the Haro Care facility. Other than being of old age and in need of care she was a picture of health. Her life is being taken sooner than it should be.
On a somewhat related subject, my 98 year old father just recently passed away in a senior's facility. He didn't have Covid, but he was isolated in his room, with no outside visitors for 4 months, and only seeing a nurse a couple of times a day and having his meals brought to his room. He just seemed to give up on living as he was otherwise healthy for his age. Good thing they finally let me in to see him a few times before he died.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:17 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:53 pm One of my current clients Mom is dying from Covid, they are expecting her to pass within the next 24 hrs. She caught it from the 2nd wave that hit the Haro Care facility. Other than being of old age and in need of care she was a picture of health. Her life is being taken sooner than it should be.
On a somewhat related subject, my 98 year old father just recently passed away in a senior's facility. He didn't have Covid, but he was isolated in his room, with no outside visitors for 4 months, and only seeing a nurse a couple of times a day and having his meals brought to his room. He just seemed to give up on living as he was otherwise healthy for his age. Good thing they finally let me in to see him a few times before he died.
I’m sorry for your loss. It is always devastating to lose a dear one. :cry:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:17 pm
Very sorry to hear that man. The greatest generation suffering one last indignation just rips my guts out.

If you need air...call it in
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

He had a pretty good life. This is a picture of him on a Rememberance day game at the Saddledome in Calgary a few years ago. They brought a few veterans out on the ice during the opening ceremony and he was one of two WW2 vets (Navy). I should note that this is my biological father - I didn't meet him until I was 40 years old.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Parati vero parati

Much respect for your dad BCEP.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:31 pm Parati vero parati

Much respect for your dad BCEP.
Thanks
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Some 300,000 more people than expected have died so far this year in the USA.

Official numbers have the covid death toll at roughly 220,000, so unless there are some other ongoing catastrophic events that we do not know of, it seems they are still under reporting by roughly 36%, ie the real death toll is 36% higher than reported in the USA.

I mean, I guess it could be a result of the damage Trump has done to Obamacare, but I think under reported covid deaths is the far more likely scenario.

I don't think the street riots or forest fires can explain 80,000 additional deaths. Image
As of October 15, 216,025 deaths from COVID-19 have been reported in the United States; however, this might underestimate the total impact of the pandemic on mortality.

Overall, an estimated 299,028 excess deaths occurred from late January through October 3, 2020, with 198,081 (66%) excess deaths attributed to COVID-19. The largest percentage increases were seen among adults aged 25–44 years and among Hispanic or Latino persons.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6942e2.htm

Oh, and "largest percentage increase does" not necessarily mean most people who died belonged to this group. Since people between 25 and 44 normally don't die, even a slight increase in numbers in this group may show as a huge percentage increase... If, say, in a normal year ten people age 25-40 die and in this particular year it's twelve - that's a 20% increase!

The vast majority of those who die from covid are 70 or older, but in this age group a lot of people die anyway, so the percentage increase may not be as drastic as in younger groups.
Last edited by Per on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

So what is the actual global mortality rate? How about developed countries vs banana republics?

Maybe excluding the states as any data coming out of there seems to be slanted by whichever political party is yanking the relevant dink of the day