Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27129
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Strangelove »

mr perfect wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:05 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:58 am Myers has a modified no trade clause, doesn't that mean Van must protect him?
I read somewhere that Benning made certain Myers din't have a NMC in his contract after this past season so he could be exposed if necessary. If I am wrong some one here will find out and point it out to me.
You're right in that Myers could be exposed if necessary, but I feel you're thinking about the Ferland signing.

Benning made certain Ferland could be exposed if necessary even though his NMC is in effect this season.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
UWSaint
MVP
MVP
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by UWSaint »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:01 pm
theman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am
ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:26 am There's a very real option of short-term bridge on Hughes. These out-of-college signings can sign for less on their second deal, because they have no leverage other than sitting out.

I could see Hughes signing for 6ish for 2 years. That lets you sign his 8-year extension to take him to 32, after Loui, Luongo, Beagle, and Roussel are gone.
Very good point. He has no arbitration rights either I believe.

Edit: He can't receive an 'offer sheet' that's it. Not sure about arbitration.
Hughes will have no arbitration rights.

What ESQ is suggesting is entirely plausible.
Agree that what esq suggests is plausible, even likely. It isn’t just Hughes’ lack of arbitration rights that changes his leverage, it’s that he is also exempt from receiving an offer sheet. There is no market at all; His only leverage is sitting out.
Hono_rary Canadian
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7871
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Meds »

theman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:19 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:58 am Myers has a modified no trade clause, doesn't that mean Van must protect him?
Thought only full NMC have to be protected
Who cares. If it means shafting a Canadian team not from Toronto or Montreal then Bettman will find a way to make it happen.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7871
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:22 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:01 pm
theman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am
ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:26 am There's a very real option of short-term bridge on Hughes. These out-of-college signings can sign for less on their second deal, because they have no leverage other than sitting out.

I could see Hughes signing for 6ish for 2 years. That lets you sign his 8-year extension to take him to 32, after Loui, Luongo, Beagle, and Roussel are gone.
Very good point. He has no arbitration rights either I believe.

Edit: He can't receive an 'offer sheet' that's it. Not sure about arbitration.
Hughes will have no arbitration rights.

What ESQ is suggesting is entirely plausible.
Agree that what esq suggests is plausible, even likely. It isn’t just Hughes’ lack of arbitration rights that changes his leverage, it’s that he is also exempt from receiving an offer sheet. There is no market at all; His only leverage is sitting out.
Right. But do the Canucks want to again be the team that plays that kind of hardball with one of their franchise level youngsters? I doubt Benning and the Aquamen repeat the sins of ownership and management past, they'll deal fairly with him and Petey.

I think they will absolutely open with that offer of short-term, but I doubt the play hardball.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Hockey Widow »

Its all fine and dandy to talk about Benning wanting to lock the two wonder kids up to 8 year deals. But they may not want that. With the state of the economy today and the uncertainty about the future cap they may want bridge deals. It takes two to play.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2764
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 pm Todd... Schmidt is a top pairing dee who can play either side on a team-friendly contract and he'll be just 33 when it runs out.

You are worried about the loss of Boucher and Goldobin bro? Really?? :lol:
Not worried, more thinking in terms of depth. I just think we don't have that same kind of depth as last season. Even though we didn't really need to call up Golds & Bouch, I liked having them in the system if we needed them. Not sure what we have currently: Lind? Gadjovich? I don't think they're as good right now (at least skill wise) compared to what we had last season.

Schmidt is like 29 now, so with 5 years left on his contract, he'd be 34. He's only 1 year younger than Tan-man. Eriksson signed that fat contract when he was 31 and most ppl thought he still had a lot in the tank still. I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel as we have lots of guys near the end of their fat contracts, then we pickup Schmidt. :crazy: I prob see the contract more than the player right now. I do hope Schmidt's play lives up to it, but there is some risk.
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:57 pm Todd, I disagree. Don't waste assets on dumping any player. We have no idea how next season gets played. when its over we have so many players whose contracts expire and a shit load of cap. It will be enough to sign the wonder kids. Why waste assets now. We will also presumably lose someone to Vegas, more cap gone. To me next season is another season of development and transition.
Yeah, maybe we should wait a bit and see how things unfold. Maybe a team will need to get to the cap floor and want a guy like Eriksson who has most of his salary paid already. I just think with Petey & Huggy still on their ELCs right now, we might as well just go for it. I don't mind Sutts, Beags and Rooster as their salaries are still somewhat reasonable and they still contribute to the team. With Eriksson, his cap hit is just too high for what he brings right now and if we can get rid of his contract for this season and next, it would be a godsend to our cap situation. I just feel like we're being handcuffed from doing anything. If we can offload him, it may allow us to get some depth guys like Leivo, Hamonic or Vatanan while they're still available; we need depth to win. U can basically think of it as we're trading a high pick to get some players. Teams do that all the time.
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4100
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:56 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 pm Todd... Schmidt is a top pairing dee who can play either side on a team-friendly contract and he'll be just 33 when it runs out.

You are worried about the loss of Boucher and Goldobin bro? Really?? :lol:
Not worried, more thinking in terms of depth. I just think we don't have that same kind of depth as last season. Even though we didn't really need to call up Golds & Bouch, I liked having them in the system if we needed them. Not sure what we have currently: Lind? Gadjovich? I don't think they're as good right now (at least skill wise) compared to what we had last season.

Schmidt is like 29 now, so with 5 years left on his contract, he'd be 34. He's only 1 year younger than Tan-man. Eriksson signed that fat contract when he was 31 and most ppl thought he still had a lot in the tank still. I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel as we have lots of guys near the end of their fat contracts, then we pickup Schmidt. :crazy: I prob see the contract more than the player right now. I do hope Schmidt's play lives up to it, but there is some risk.
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:57 pm Todd, I disagree. Don't waste assets on dumping any player. We have no idea how next season gets played. when its over we have so many players whose contracts expire and a shit load of cap. It will be enough to sign the wonder kids. Why waste assets now. We will also presumably lose someone to Vegas, more cap gone. To me next season is another season of development and transition.
Yeah, maybe we should wait a bit and see how things unfold. Maybe a team will need to get to the cap floor and want a guy like Eriksson who has most of his salary paid already. I just think with Petey & Huggy still on their ELCs right now, we might as well just go for it. I don't mind Sutts, Beags and Rooster as their salaries are still somewhat reasonable and they still contribute to the team. With Eriksson, his cap hit is just too high for what he brings right now and if we can get rid of his contract for this season and next, it would be a godsend to our cap situation. I just feel like we're being handcuffed from doing anything. If we can offload him, it may allow us to get some depth guys like Leivo, Hamonic or Vatanan while they're still available; we need depth to win. U can basically think of it as we're trading a high pick to get some players. Teams do that all the time.
I think every team is at the cap floor now.. even Ottawa is only a few thousand away. Hoping to unload him to help a team get to the cap floor is a pipe dream.

We are now hoping for ‘contract termination via Utica’. Need to send him down now ( make him clear waivers) and then recall/resend down again every 120 days (or whenever the waiver protection period is). This way Louise knows his future. He will still wait until the start of the actual season, but I believe we should start the process now. Give his agent plenty of time to help find A solution.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:23 am

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Curmudgeon »

If they LTIR Ferland and buyout Sutter that leaves them with almost $8 mil to re-sign Virtanen and Gaudette and add at least another decent RHD and maybe a forward. I wouldn't be adding an asset to move any salary out at this point.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Hockey Widow »

With the potential for a fucked up season including the potential of the Comet moving to a Canadian city during the pandemic Louie may have no incentive to mutually terminate his contract. Especially if they make the Comet play in Vancouver or close by. And travel will be controlled to prevent the spread of covid so his travel schedule may not be any worse than if he were on an NHL team. Just saying that a demotion to the AHL may not be the dreaded punishment it once was, for this season. So Louie may say ya go ahead demote me.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 10876
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by rats19 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:35 am With the potential for a fucked up season including the potential of the Comet moving to a Canadian city during the pandemic Louie may have no incentive to mutually terminate his contract. Especially if they make the Comet play in Vancouver or close by. And travel will be controlled to prevent the spread of covid so his travel schedule may not be any worse than if he were on an NHL team. Just saying that a demotion to the AHL may not be the dreaded punishment it once was, for this season. So Louie may say ya go ahead demote me.
So saving 1 mill it is... :sly:
Getting old is not for the young...
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by theman »

rats19 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:47 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:35 am With the potential for a fucked up season including the potential of the Comet moving to a Canadian city during the pandemic Louie may have no incentive to mutually terminate his contract. Especially if they make the Comet play in Vancouver or close by. And travel will be controlled to prevent the spread of covid so his travel schedule may not be any worse than if he were on an NHL team. Just saying that a demotion to the AHL may not be the dreaded punishment it once was, for this season. So Louie may say ya go ahead demote me.
So saving 1 mill it is... :sly:
The more I think of it, the more I don't want to sacrifice a significant piece to move Loui to bring in Hoffman. Move Loui to bring in another quality D, sure, but not just to bring in another forward.
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 18977
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Really not getting the Hoffmann obsession.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27129
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:56 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 pm Todd... Schmidt is a top pairing dee who can play either side on a team-friendly contract and he'll be just 33 when it runs out.
Schmidt is like 29 now, so with 5 years left on his contract, he'd be 34.
His contract expires on June 30, 2025.

On June 30, 2025 he will be 33 years, 349 days old.

Also known as 33 years old. :mex:

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:56 pm He's only 1 year younger than Tan-man.
He's 1.5 years younger than Tanev. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13579
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Micky »

If it's true Hoffman is open to signing a one year contract for now, I don't think the Canucks should go that route. He'll make friends and get
completely involved in the team chemistry. Then he's gone because with the big signings next year, probably no way to afford him.
Even if they could,, his point totals look impressive but his underlying numbers including +/- do not.
Also, too old and will most likely decline soon.
"evolution"
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 12137
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 am Really not getting the Hoffmann obsession.
Gretzky needs his Kurri (or until Beoeser rediscovers his wrister)
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Post Reply