Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Curmudgeon »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:50 pm
LOL I was pretty high on Benning at the time, wasn't sold on Hodgson. The eighties were painfully lean years for the Canucks and the Leaves both, fortunately for us Arthur Griffiths and Pat Quinn sort of rode to the rescue toward the end of that decade. I think I was team tank for the full ten years there, the Leaves were a lost cause, That Leaves D core you mentioned was young, but it sure wasn't very good!

I used to like to get on the trade proposal threads over at HF and ask Leaves fans to throw in a Boimistruck, a Brit Selby or a Jack Valiquette as a sweetener. Some thought it was funny. Some not ;)
No kidding, the Jack Gordon/Tom Watt era almost killed the franchise and once attendance was around 10,000 - 11,000 or so per game for a few years it's no wonder they pulled out all stops to get Quinn. It was a necessity even if it was under dubious circumstances.

I was living in the Toronto area when the leaves hired Tom Watt and I took great pleasure in pissing on all the hope and optimism leaves fans had by enlightening them on what they were in for. Was actually relieved when they hired him, it made my 3 years there way more palatable because it would have been unbearable had they been a better team or worse yet, a legit contender. Fortunately I moved back just as the Gilmour and Pat Burns era was gaining steam. I absolutely would have piled on if I'd seen you do that on HF.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:14 am
I remember hearing Trotz being interviewed a few times before the Capitals hired him and he was lobbying or was a candidate for the Canucks job but they ended up hiring Willie D. What a mistake.
Can you believe Willie turned down Pittsburgh to come here as well? Yikes!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:15 pm
I remember hearing Trotz being interviewed a few times before the Capitals hired him and he was lobbying or was a candidate for the Canucks job but they ended up hiring Willie D. What a mistake.
The Trevor factor.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:56 pm
ESQ wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:15 pm
The Trevor factor.
What’s a ‘Trevor factor’, and how does it work?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:38 am There was an article recently comparing other top dmen that trotz has developed and NDs ice time. It is right in line with those players at the same age. Weber was one of them.
That's a great point and another example is Trotz appearing to help Carlson take the next step. Good coach for putting defensive structure in place and building from the net out, like the Preds first playoff team had Scott Walker as their leading scorer and defender Marek Zidlicky second, so that bodes well for developing both defensemen and goaltenders.

The key thing about Trotz is he's not dead set on a system, he evolves and adapts his systems to the players he has to work with, that's what makes him great, also what makes championship teams as they can adapt their systems to each team in the playoffs.
2014: In recent years, Trotz’s Nashville teams were known for their unrelenting commitment to team defense, but the coach said he doesn’t advocate a specific style of play. Trotz believes systems should be designed to make players on a roster most effective.

“I think I’m very adaptable. When we had Paul Kariya for a couple years and we were a little deeper at forward we were a pretty high-scoring team,” said Trotz of two seasons (2005-2007) in which the Predators averaged more than three goals per game. “You need balance and if you have dynamic people — I’ve always tried to assess the talent and say ‘Okay, how can we get better as a group and how can we win hockey games?’ I've played a number of different systems based on our personnel but I like the personnel to dictate the strength.
Trotz had a lot of connections in Washington prior and the Caps were the 1st ones to reach out to him, but they were also looking for a GM first.
Trotz is familiar with the Capitals’ organization and the Washington region. His first professional coaching job was as an assistant in 1990-91 with the Baltimore Skipjacks, then the Capitals’ AHL affiliate. He spent seven years in the organization, five as an AHL head coach, including a Calder Cup championship in 1994 after the team moved to Portland, Maine.

“I know a lot of people in [the Washington] area, I know a lot about the organization. I sort of kept tabs of them over the years and there’s some great pieces there,” Trotz said. “It’s a great city and some great players to work with.”
Caps on a GM search:
Jim Benning, Boston’s assistant general manager, is considered the top option in the league for a front-office post, but TSN has reported that he is likely headed to Vancouver. Several former general managers, including Mike Gillis (most recently with Vancouver), Darcy Regier (Buffalo) and Jay Feaster (Calgary) are also reportedly candidates, according to RDS in Canada.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... story.html
So at least we got Jim Benning for our GM, who was coveted. Willie was the sacrifice during the end of the Sedins swan song years and the low-key rebuild while having no prospects sans Bo and a owner wanting an immediate playoffs (2015), then was ok with a rebuild while trying to be competitive.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I wonder what Trotz would have accomplished had he come here instead of Willie.

I think he is one of the best coaches in the league. I was a little iffy on his performance in Nashville, but to go from a decade there to a high-octane Caps squad and FINALLY get them over the hump, and to then go to the Island after the "Gutting" loss of their captain, and already win more playoff rounds in two years than Tavares did in his entire Islanders career AND more than than the Leaves have won in the past 2 decades, with Dinosaur Lamoriello building the roster...well, lets just say I'm a true believer in the Trotz Troll now.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

chris faber:
Vasili Podkolzin with a regular season career high 𝟐𝟎:𝟐𝟕 of ice time on 23 shifts.

He led SKA in time in attack with 𝟔:𝟎𝟏.

One shot on net and one blocked shot.

He had plenty of shorthanded ice time today and did see regular time on the second power play unit as well.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:28 pm chris faber:
Vasili Podkolzin with a regular season career high 𝟐𝟎:𝟐𝟕 of ice time on 23 shifts.

He led SKA in time in attack with 𝟔:𝟎𝟏.

One shot on net and one blocked shot.

He had plenty of shorthanded ice time today and did see regular time on the second power play unit as well.
Podkolzin is a monster of a player!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Oct. 16th 2020.

https://en.khl.ru/news/2020/10/16/474433.html

Vasily Podkolzin is the new guest of the column “Playing at home.” The forward told KHL.ru about his idols, his decision to stay in Russia, and his role within the team.
A few excerpts...
--SKA fans already noticed it; I’m playing much more now. To some extent, I feel like my hands were untied. I started playing simpler and with more confidence. So I had more scoring chances and started scoring points. Twenty minutes against Amur is my record so far in the KHL regular season, and that’s great. It’s great that my coaches are giving me more chances. And the more you play, the more you want to play. I’m happy to play both penalty-killing and powerplay stints. This means that the coaches trust to play me in the games’ critical moments.
--I am pleased to hear people comparing me to Connor McDavid, even if, of course, I am very far from being even close to his level. Or when our trio is compared to Krutov, Larionov, and Makarov. This means that people believe in us. It’s of great inspiration. However, the time for these things has passed. Now, it’s time to work hard. I don’t have any problem with interviews and communication; it’s part of the profession of being a hockey player. At the World Junior Championship in Vancouver, we were explained that we play for the fans and that they expect our comments. I try to keep this in mind.
--In my childhood, just as most of the guys of my age, my idol was Alex Ovechkin. I remember that in the lockout season, my father and I would see him and Nicklas Backstrom playing for Dynamo. I also always liked Alexey Morozov and Datsyuk. I couldn’t even imagine that I would end up playing with one and the other being the president of the league where I play. It’s always great to watch Datsyuk, even now that he’s past his 40. You can see how dedicated he is, and that’s a great inspiration.
--I don’t regret having decided to stay at home to play. I was picked in the CHL draft, but I didn’t intend to move there. Some of my teammates on the national team play junior hockey in Canada, but it’s their path. They are happy to play and live in another culture, but I feel at home in Russia. I can easily talk with the coaches in my mother language. I see how hockey develops around me and how I develop myself.
:hmmm:
"evolution"
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Sounds like the kid has a good vision for his development 👍
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Canucks sign backup goalie Jake Kielly to one-year, two-way deal
The Canadian Press
OCTOBER 16, 2020 01:45 PM

https://www.prpeak.com/canucks-sign-bac ... 1.24222032
Kielly will back up Vancouver's goalie tandem of Thatcher Demko and Braden Holtby.
? Michael DiPietro could be called up too, couldn't he?
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Is he comparing himself to Krutov? :hmmm:

Lock up the footlongs.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Podkolzin hears people comparing him to McDavid? Yikes
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:48 pm Canucks sign backup goalie Jake Kielly to one-year, two-way deal
The Canadian Press

Kielly will back up Vancouver's goalie tandem of Thatcher Demko and Braden Holtby.
You must be the only Canuck fan in all of Canuckdom who is confused by this re-signing Mick. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:00 pm
Micky wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:48 pm Canucks sign backup goalie Jake Kielly to one-year, two-way deal
The Canadian Press

You must be the only Canuck fan in all of Canuckdom who is confused by this re-signing Mick. :drink:
But he broke the story!! #epic
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."