Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2020/21

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Re: Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2020/21

Post by mr perfect »

Per - Hoglander's skating. Is he a speed demon or is his skating like everyone else's in the SHL? Even if he is aggressive, at 5'8" and 183 lb he'll get bounced around in the NHL unless he has the speed and quickness to avoid getting slammed on a regular basis. I ask because the Canucks have had a notorious history of drafting small players who can't skate.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

mr perfect wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:30 pm Per - Hoglander's skating. Is he a speed demon or is his skating like everyone else's in the SHL? Even if he is aggressive, at 5'8" and 183 lb he'll get bounced around in the NHL unless he has the speed and quickness to avoid getting slammed on a regular basis. I ask because the Canucks have had a notorious history of drafting small players who can't skate.
The skill that stands out for Höglander is his really smooth hands and his stickhandling. That and his cocky attitude. Despite being a short player, he enjoys playing a very physical game. To the degree that he's been suspended a couple of times.

His skating is good but not exceptional. He accelerates well, but he's not the fastest player in the league.

Where he really has stood out is really playing with juniors. Especially his 11 points in 7 games at the WJC.
Playing against grown men, he has only scored 15 points in 58 games in Hockeyallsvenskan and 34 in 97 in the SHL.
That being said, he has won the Goal of the Year Award in the SHL for two years running....
When he does score, he sure knows how to score highlight reel goals! :lol:

I'm torn when it comes to Höglander. His skills are phenomenal, and he can wow you with a deke or a lacrosse goal and also with laying a huge hit on someone twice his size, but he hasn't really proven himself yet at the SHL level - or... yeah, he can play at the SHL level, no question, but he doesn't stand out. And you do need to stand out in the SHL if you are truly NHL material.

That being said, the kid is still just 19 (although sadly he turns 20 on Dec 20th, so no WJC for him this season...), so there's still time for him to improve and show that he can take it to the next level. The question is if he can learn to compensate for his smallish frame when playing grown men. To some level he does, or he wouldn't be in the SHL, but he needs to do better than this if he is going to make it in the NHL.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per, heads up...an enraged Chef will be by shortly to accuse you of heresy/Benning hate for not anointing Hoglander the next Peter Forsberg
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:43 am Per, heads up...an enraged Chef will be by shortly to accuse you of heresy/Benning hate for not anointing Hoglander the next Peter Forsberg
Per should stick to politics. He thinks Anton Rodin is a better player than Hoglander
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:40 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:43 am Per, heads up...an enraged Chef will be by shortly to accuse you of heresy/Benning hate for not anointing Hoglander the next Peter Forsberg
Per should stick to politics. He thinks Anton Rodin is a better player than Hoglander
He has one assist more than Hoglander.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:44 am
:lol:

So....Anton Rodin is better?
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Per wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:45 am
mr perfect wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:30 pm Per - Hoglander's skating. Is he a speed demon or is his skating like everyone else's in the SHL? Even if he is aggressive, at 5'8" and 183 lb he'll get bounced around in the NHL unless he has the speed and quickness to avoid getting slammed on a regular basis. I ask because the Canucks have had a notorious history of drafting small players who can't skate.
The skill that stands out for Höglander is his really smooth hands and his stickhandling. That and his cocky attitude. Despite being a short player, he enjoys playing a very physical game. To the degree that he's been suspended a couple of times.

His skating is good but not exceptional. He accelerates well, but he's not the fastest player in the league.

Where he really has stood out is really playing with juniors. Especially his 11 points in 7 games at the WJC.
Playing against grown men, he has only scored 15 points in 58 games in Hockeyallsvenskan and 34 in 97 in the SHL.
That being said, he has won the Goal of the Year Award in the SHL for two years running....
When he does score, he sure knows how to score highlight reel goals! :lol:

I'm torn when it comes to Höglander. His skills are phenomenal, and he can wow you with a deke or a lacrosse goal and also with laying a huge hit on someone twice his size, but he hasn't really proven himself yet at the SHL level - or... yeah, he can play at the SHL level, no question, but he doesn't stand out. And you do need to stand out in the SHL if you are truly NHL material.

That being said, the kid is still just 19 (although sadly he turns 20 on Dec 20th, so no WJC for him this season...), so there's still time for him to improve and show that he can take it to the next level. The question is if he can learn to compensate for his smallish frame when playing grown men. To some level he does, or he wouldn't be in the SHL, but he needs to do better than this if he is going to make it in the NHL.
Thanks Per. While the Canucks are hoping he will develop into the Swedish Brad Marshit, sounds like he's more Brendan Leipsic for the moment. Benning was making noises about him attending training camp, might be better for him to stay in the SHL for now. In the off season have him work on break away speed.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:58 am
Micky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:44 am

So....Anton Rodin is better?
Well, at this point in time, definitely. No question about it.
Last season they both played in the SHL. Höglander had 16 points in 41 games, Rödin 46 in 46 - and he was the captain of his team.
Rödin was 4th in the SHL in scoring, Höglander was 124th.

But Rödin is 29 and in his prime. Höglander is 19 and still developing.

If we roll the tape back to 2009/10, when Rödin was the age Höglander was last season, he only had 5 points in 36 games, so correcting for age, Höglander is showing at least as much promise as Rödin did.
Rödin had 10 points in 6 games at the WJC that year. Ten years later Höglander had 11 points in 7 games.

Now if Rödin had not had that tendon next to his knee severed in a freak accident, I'm convinced he'd be an NHL player. Rödin, Silfverberg and Järnkrook were on the same trajectory. I maintain it is just that injury that kept him from reaching the same level as the other two.
I mean, the season leading up to the injury he was SHL MVP. If you're the best player in the SHL, you are definitely an NHL calibre player.

Höglander is showing the same kind of talent, but he is 6 cm shorter, 176 compared to the 182 cm of Rödin.
If he can learn to handle that disadvantage, he could become an NHL player, I'm not ruling that out, but I don't think he's ready to play there now. He probably needs two more years at the SHL level before he can make that leap.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Karlskoga beat Väsby 5-0 tonight.
Linus Karlsson played 18 shifts, totalling 13:21 in ice time.
4 SOG, no points. Took three face-offs, won one.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I wouldn’t be even a bit surprised if Rodin turned out to have Björklöven blood, and Hoglander turned out to be the Swedish equivalent of a mixed-blood muggle.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Somewhere in the moss covered ravines of Lynn canyon....a skulleted individual is furious
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:18 pm Somewhere in the moss covered ravines of Lynn canyon....a skulleted individual is furious
I believe midget tossing was created at the Dell Hotel or one of those dive bars in the mid '80s. When and where was skullet tossing created?
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

mr perfect wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:24 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:18 pm Somewhere in the moss covered ravines of Lynn canyon....a skulleted individual is furious
I believe midget tossing was created at the Dell Hotel or one of those dive bars in the mid '80s. When and where was skullet tossing created?
East Van, not sure when.

Chef, Doyle and Brown Wizard seem to have been in on it.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

It all began in the Britannia rink changing rooms....all those years ago

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:46 pm It all began in the Britannia rink changing rooms....all those years ago

I play there. Skullet pubes are prolly still clogging the shower drainage.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!