Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Cornuck »

damonberryman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:55 am
Per wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:07 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:40 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:41 pm Someone send the mafia to negotiate a deal for Eriksson to retire and Baertschi to terminate his contract lol.
There is no “mafia” in Vancouver
More like triads?
No Mafia in Vancouver?
The Dude is sworn to Omertà. We'll get nothing out of him.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:06 pm
damonberryman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:55 am
Per wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:07 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:40 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:41 pm Someone send the mafia to negotiate a deal for Eriksson to retire and Baertschi to terminate his contract lol.
There is no “mafia” in Vancouver
More like triads?
No Mafia in Vancouver?
The Dude is sworn to Omertà. We'll get nothing out of him.
True....unless we do a French connection number where popeye addict the guy and then lets him have a nice withdrawal. Not many can get through that when all you gotta do is give it up and talk.

On a personal note my Dad could have given up his connect and go less than 15 years and having his wife do a deuce. I am proud of him for that because before trial he had a tooth problem which was painful.

As he was in remand it took my mom and a lawyer to get him help. The cops used it to try and get cooperation.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:42 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:23 pm Maybe Virtanen is the cost to move a contract to fit in Hoffman.
Hoffman’s a cancer. Maybe Green should force feed minutes to Jake on the top line with Miller and Petey. Play Brock with Bo and Pearson. You think he couldn’t light it up with those two? Give him top line minutes for ten straight games before you give up on Jake. The kid’s a horse who should be playing big minutes. Some people think Jake will do better away from Vancouver, but maybe he just needs a break from Green in Vancouver, #newcanuckcoachingphilosphyneeded

This message brought to you from the only member of the Save Shotgun Jake Club.
I suspect Hoffman would drive Green nuts, and not because of how he is in the room.

If Jake's issue is Vancouver or Green, it is all the same. Green is more valuable to the team than Virtanen, and I think the issue with Jake has less to do with the coach and more to do with being coached. This is speculation given that I don't have personal knowledge of the guy, but Virtanen strikes me as both difficult to coach, without a strong internal competitive drive, and lacking in self-discipline. These are Jake problems, not coach problems, and until Jake changes them, its gonna exist whoever the coach is. There is a chance, though, that a change of scenery helps JV because he could use feeling little discomfort and a chip on the shoulder.

Having said all of that, JV brings an element to this team (speed) that makes the bottom 6 much better when he's using it. If they keep him around, fine. If they trade him, I hope they find a way to replace that.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:31 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:23 pm Maybe Virtanen is the cost to move a contract to fit in Hoffman.
Hoffman’s a cancer. Maybe Green should force feed minutes to Jake on the top line with Miller and Petey. Play Brock with Bo and Pearson. You think he couldn’t light it up with those two? Give him top line minutes for ten straight games before you give up on Jake. The kid’s a horse who should be playing big minutes. Some people think Jake will do better away from Vancouver, but maybe he just needs a break from Green in Vancouver, #newcanuckcoachingphilosphyneeded

I suspect Hoffman would drive Green nuts, and not because of how he is in the room.

If Jake's issue is Vancouver or Green, it is all the same. Green is more valuable to the team than Virtanen, and I think the issue with Jake has less to do with the coach and more to do with being coached. This is speculation given that I don't have personal knowledge of the guy, but Virtanen strikes me as both difficult to coach, without a strong internal competitive drive, and lacking in self-discipline. These are Jake problems, not coach problems, and until Jake changes them, its gonna exist whoever the coach is. There is a chance, though, that a change of scenery helps JV because he could use feeling little discomfort and a chip on the shoulder.

Having said all of that, JV brings an element to this team (speed) that makes the bottom 6 much better when he's using it. If they keep him around, fine. If they trade him, I hope they find a way to replace that.
NHLPA reveals salary arbitration hearings schedule;
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nh ... -schedule/
The NHLPA released a list Tuesday of salary arbitration hearings to be held between Oct. 20 and Nov. 8. The schedule of restricted free agents seeking new contracts includes the likes of Anthony DeAngelo, Sam Reinhart, Andrew Mangiapane, Ilya Mikheyev, Connor Brown and Devon Toews. While Vancouver Canucks power forward Jake Virtanen was not listed on the NHLPA's calendar, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reports the right-winger's arbitration date is set for Oct. 28.
Considering Toffoli is out of here "and" considering what Virtanen can bring to this team, "when he has a mind to", I still want to resign Jake.
At some point the clash, for lack of a better word, between Jake and Travis, will turn into mutual trust. He's close to the fastest player on the team.
Can hit the opposition players magnificently and clean. Can fight. Can shoot the puck real well when he stays away from the low percentage ones that ricochet the wrong way and I've seen him speed back to break up plays defensively.
There is a plenitude of leadership on this team now to keep him accountable, I think, so I'm in for another shot at it. We need the grit.
The spot on the top two lines is there for him to take but ......is it too late?
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Maybe Nate can show Jake how to be a fun loving goofball and still a great hockey player.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:10 pm
UWSaint wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:31 pm

NHLPA reveals salary arbitration hearings schedule;
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nh ... -schedule/
The NHLPA released a list Tuesday of salary arbitration hearings to be held between Oct. 20 and Nov. 8. The schedule of restricted free agents seeking new contracts includes the likes of Anthony DeAngelo, Sam Reinhart, Andrew Mangiapane, Ilya Mikheyev, Connor Brown and Devon Toews. While Vancouver Canucks power forward Jake Virtanen was not listed on the NHLPA's calendar, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reports the right-winger's arbitration date is set for Oct. 28.
Considering Toffoli is out of here "and" considering what Virtanen can bring to this team, "when he has a mind to", I still want to resign Jake.
At some point the clash, for lack of a better word, between Jake and Travis, will turn into mutual trust. He's close to the fastest player on the team.
Can hit the opposition players magnificently and clean. Can fight. Can shoot the puck real well when he stays away from the low percentage ones that ricochet the wrong way and I've seen him speed back to break up plays defensively.
There is a plenitude of leadership on this team now to keep him accountable, I think, so I'm in for another shot at it. We need the grit.
The spot on the top two lines is there for him to take but ......is it too late?
Mick: Are we talking about the same JV here? Can you tell us one game where he supposedly did those things and can you explain why he didn't do some or many of those in the other 68 games he played?

Clipboard Willie sent Virtanen to the minors. This isn't the first time a coach has had to tough-love Jake.

Pettersen, Boeser Hughes, Gaudette, Motte, Demko. All have played well or are progressing under Green. Boeser and Gaudette have faced tough love from Green, hasn't curbed their development. Ironic so many here want Boeser traded but want to keep JV.

Something worth noting. NJ Devils were taking offers for their 20th overall draft pick, the one they received from Vancouver via TB from the JT Miller trade. Word was they would have liked a winger under the age of 26 years old. Considering Benning stated his unhappiness with Jake's play on and off the ice before and during the bubble playoffs run, one would think a JV for 20th overall might be a natural fit. Then the trade would have worked out to be Jake and a 2019 third rounder for JT Miller, something we all could consider a winning trade. Now I don't know for sure if Benning has offered Virtanen to Jersey or anyone else. But Jake's value might not be anywhere near what Canucks fans think it is to NHL GMs.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:19 am They could also pair up Schmidt with one of the prospects if the prospect looks ready in camp.
Schmidt with Rathbone would really push the pace.
That's a great point and after watching Rathbone clips, I was thinking they could also go with Hughes, Schmidt, and Rathbone on different pairings and push the pace aggressively every shift. If Rathbone makes it and adjusts quick enough, having three great skaters who can handle and pass the puck at a high level on each pairing will give opposing teams fits.

I'm not one to scrutinize the fancy stats, and I could be wrong based on those, but my eye test was telling me Hughes and Meyers both played better with one another than any other partner combination they were part of. The narrative out there around Tanev making Hughes better didn't make sense to me, Tanev played better with Hughes than anybody else but Hughes played his worst with Tanev or at least when not paired with Meyers.

Again, I could be wrong. Any fancy stat experts here?
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Let’s hope his value is too low for other GMs to trade for then.
There’s still room in the Save Shotgun Jake Club people.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:41 pm Let’s hope his value is too low for other GMs to trade for then.
Yeah, but is Jake a member of the club?
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

mr perfect wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:45 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:41 pm Let’s hope his value is too low for other GMs to trade for then.
I think it’s only me so far. :(
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I knew that would come up. Ya, I hated it too. I broke it. Furious I was. Pretty sure his team-mates were too. Was very ignorant.
There's another picture from that night that's worse.
He's got to have been appropriately admonished numerous times by pretty much the whole team, no?
I'm trying to keep my focus on what he can could still bring to the team with the applicable leash.
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:48 pm
I think it’s only me so far. :(
I’ve got a foot in the door... :lol:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ha! Exactly...

The Jake saga will now consume canuck nation until Oct 28 or a trade
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:21 pm
Ha! Exactly...

The Jake saga will now consume canuck nation until Oct 28 or a trade
We should take a poll on whether Jake should be signed or not.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

As the only member of the Save Shotgun Jake Club, I don’t think a poll is necessary.