The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:18 am I don't care about spell checks
red line under my word, either...
Mentioning that you dont care is a round about way of saying you absolutely care but dont want to...

:mex:

But ya...tavares was a huge error in judgement considering the conveyor belt of hands lined up for franchise type money minus the accomplishments comparable players fetched from winning championships.
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If you’re going to cough up four 1sts it has to be a seven year deal. Can’t see it. I see Marner back with the leaves in late September/early October on a five year deal. That seems to be the magic number for the elite players so they can get that big third contract while they are still young.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I don’t think signing Tavares was a mistake. The guy is an excellent player and will be for the duration of the contract. The mistakes were made with the way the Nylander situation was handled. He should have been traded last summer. They should have signed Marner to an extension then and they kinda fucked up with Mathews contract as well. If anything Tavares is a safety net if they feel the need to deal AM a couple years before he bolts.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

He is an excellent player. But I don't know Blob, six more years at 11? I think after three more years, your epilogue line below your posts
becomes accurate, mmm?
Last edited by Mickey107 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:47 am If you’re going to cough up four 1sts it has to be a seven year deal. Can’t see it.
If he signs your offer sheet it means he likes your team.

If you're confident your team will be a true contender, those are late 1st round picks.

If you sign him for 4 years you're the only team that can offer him a 8-year deal when he becomes a UFA.

(so you're giving up four late 1st round picks for 12 years of Marner)

I could see it.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am I don’t think signing Tavares was a mistake. The guy is an excellent player and will be for the duration of the contract.
Common opinion is that he's already past his prime (cuz 29 in Sept) and he still has 6 years left on that contract.

Yeah he's an excellent player but his AAV should be closer to that of Stamkos IMO ($8.5M)

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am The mistakes were made with the way the Nylander situation was handled. He should have been traded last summer. They should have signed Marner to an extension then and they kinda fucked up with Mathews contract as well. If anything Tavares is a safety net if they feel the need to deal AM a couple years before he bolts.
A lot of people are saying signing Tavares screwed up Leaves' cap structure

... just before their young stars needed new contracts.

I'm one of those people.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Elite players get paid. He just had his best season. His game isn’t based on speed and he’s a durable player. San Jose offered him more money than the leaves did and Wilson certainly is no idiot. Lots of guys play great hockey well into their 30s. He’s a top end centre and is insurance if they have to trade or lose Matthews.

I don’t like the leaves whatsoever but I don’t see Tavares as a big mistake. I’d have traded Nylander and locked up Marner last summer. I wouldn’t have given that cap hit to Matthews unless he signed a 7 or 8 year deal. If he balked, which he clearly seemed to, then put him on the block and return a haul.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:53 pm Elite players get paid.
And UFAs get overpaid = Elite UFA players get greatly overpaid.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:53 pm He just had his best season.
Yes, he had an unsustainable career year goals-wise.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:53 pm San Jose offered him more money than the Leaves did and Wilson certainly is no idiot.
All GMs overpay top UFAs, Dubas greatly overpaid Tavares, Wilson may have been willing to vastly overpay him.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:53 pm Lots of guys play great hockey well into their 30s.
Sure, but generally a player's game declines into his 30s.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:53 pm I don’t like the Leaves whatsoever but I don’t see Tavares as a big mistake. I’d have traded Nylander and locked up Marner last summer. I wouldn’t have given that cap hit to Matthews unless he signed a 7 or 8 year deal. If he balked, which he clearly seemed to, then put him on the block and return a haul.
Matthews and Marner saw themselves as better players than Tavares over the long haul.

Signing Tavares made them want to hold off on their 2nd contracts long enough to prove it.

It's important to players and their agents where a player fits within the team's salary structure, gives them leverage.

They knew if they could put up similar points to Tavares they could get similar money.

Remove Tavares from the equation and it's easier to sign them earlier and cheaper.

No Tavares and they'd have these three at centre right now: Matthews, Kadri, Nylander

... with lots of money to sign some top wingers.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I know you hate everything about the leaves Doc. I don’t like them either. I guess I just don’t see the Tavares signing as egregious as some of the other moves. Either way some of the shine is coming off of Boy Wonder. I’d still be looking to deal Nylander if I were him even if his value is a bit lower than it was 12 months ago, he’d still be easy to move for a decent to good return.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I'm getting a big kick out of how Leaves fans have turned on "greedy" Marner.

Once upon a time it was "Marner will take a huge discount because he loves playing for the Leaves". :lol:

I can see Salutegate II shaping up in a couple of years...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am The mistakes were made with the way the Nylander situation was handled.
A massive understatement. Giving 7 goals and 20 assists that much money and for that long was way worst than what Gillis gave Garrison. Way! That contract, Dubas handed IIHF big ice perimeter play Nylander is gonna haunt them for eternity. Soft as butter in the playoffs just like Mason Ehlers
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:32 pm , he’d still be easy to move for a decent to good return.
We agree to disagree

IMHO with his shitty playoff history, shitty 200’ game, pompous attitude and the 7 goals and 20 asssits during the regular season, taking on that price and term is a huge risk. Huge!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:45 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am The mistakes were made with the way the Nylander situation was handled.
A massive understatement. Giving 7 goals and 20 assists that much money and for that long was way worst than what Gillis gave Garrison. Way! That contract, Dubas handed IIHF big ice perimeter play Nylander is gonna haunt them for eternity. Soft as butter in the playoffs just like Mason Ehlers
Leaves should have made Nylander sit out the season, but Dumbass lacked the brains and balls to do so.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:51 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:45 pm
Leaves should have made Nylander sit out the season, but Dumbass lacked the brains and balls to do so.
100% Doc. 100%!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:32 pm , he’d still be easy to move for a decent to good return.
We agree to disagree

IMHO with his shitty playoff history, shitty 200’ game, pompous attitude and the 7 goals and 20 asssits during the regular season, taking on that price and term is a huge risk. Huge!
He had back to back 60 point seasons. He’s young and skilled. He’d be easy to move, though his value probably took a minor hit from its peak of 12 months ago. Dubas should have seen the cap crunch coming.