Goalies moving forward.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What goalie situation is more palatable to you?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Signing Markstrom if it means losing Demko to a trade or expansion draft within a year.
22%
Not signing Markstrom if it means keeping Demko as the starter moving forward with a cheaper UFA backup.
78%

Total votes: 23

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Goalies moving forward.

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Like I have said in earlier posts. It all depends if Markey is willing to go a short term contract to stay with the team to try and win now. He needs a 1 year to avoid expansion, then another 1 year to avoid our salary cap issues, then he can sign his 3-4 year contract with a list of teams we can’t trade him to.

If he isn’t interested in winning here, he will end up with a team that needs him as a rebuilding piece, opposed to a team that needs another piece. Last I checked, the Rest of the contenders were all set in goal.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 pm Like I have said in earlier posts. It all depends if Markey is willing to go a short term contract to stay with the team to try and win now. He needs a 1 year to avoid expansion, then another 1 year to avoid our salary cap issues, then he can sign his 3-4 year contract with a list of teams we can’t trade him to.

If he isn’t interested in winning here, he will end up with a team that needs him as a rebuilding piece, opposed to a team that needs another piece. Last I checked, the Rest of the contenders were all set in goal.
That's a fair point.

The only thing I can see where he goes somewhere that can realistically even look at a playoff birth is a scenario like the low rumor that Montreal might send Price to Colorado for something big.....then the Habs could sign Markstrom.

But that's an unfounded rumor.....the scenario is the only one I can see where Marky goes to a playoff team as an UFA.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 pm Like I have said in earlier posts. It all depends if Markey is willing to go a short term contract to stay with the team to try and win now. He needs a 1 year to avoid expansion, then another 1 year to avoid our salary cap issues, then he can sign his 3-4 year contract with a list of teams we can’t trade him to.

Carolina and Colorado could both use an upgrade in net. Markstrom is 30 and he’s had a couple of injuries recently. This could be his one chance to cash in despite the lack of gate revenue for teams. He’s a legit top 10 goalie and the best one on the market. He risks a lot by signing one or two year deals to help the Canucks out of their self induced cap hell.

I’m curious if he will sign a “retirement style contract”
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

If Cap Friendly is correct there won’t be much difference next season. Yes a few guys are gone but EP and QH may take a lot of that space up.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:18 pm

Carolina and Colorado could both use an upgrade in net. Markstrom is 30 and he’s had a couple of injuries recently. This could be his one chance to cash in despite the lack of gate revenue for teams. He’s a legit top 10 goalie and the best one on the market. He risks a lot by signing one or two year deals to help the Canucks out of their self induced cap hell.

I’m curious if he will sign a “retirement style contract”

I agree it’s risky for a player to sign 1 year contracts, but I am hoping that whole ‘closest room ever seen’ comments made at the end of the season aid the decision making process here for us.

I also agree If Marky doesn’t sign here, he will be the best FA goalie on the market.

.. and only Gomer and those competing in the special olympics -while watching (and living by) the last few seconds of Garth Brooks ‘Standing Outside the Fire’ video- know what a ‘retirement style contract’ is.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

And for the record, I think you can get up and keep running, Micky!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:04 pm And for the record, I think you can get up and keep running, Micky!!
From a chicken shit like you? Not likely. You and Mëds are insulating each other (gross) with more posts on Markstrom, and his multiple
options then everyone else (including me) combined.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:04 pm And for the record, I think you can get up and keep running, Micky!!
Mick will drag himself across the finish line bloodied and broken with one arm if it means posting just.......one..........more.............link.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Sounds like marky is a hot commodity with Detroit, Calgary, Toronto and others all super interested. Also sounds like he may be able to get 6+mil for term, if that’s the case it’s probably bye big guy. I wonder if marky goes the route of bobrovsky when away from Ian Clarke.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:51 am Sounds like marky is a hot commodity with Detroit, Calgary, Toronto and others all super interested. Also sounds like he may be able to get 6+mil for term, if that’s the case it’s probably bye big guy. I wonder if marky goes the route of bobrovsky when away from Ian Clarke.
Maybe we can get a 7th for trading his rights. Send him to Detroit. He won't harm us there. :D

Seriously though. How can Toronto be in this discussion. They are totally broke. If they get Marky, they have to trade Anderson first.

Let Marky walk, and sign Cam Talbot to a $2million 2 year deal. That allows Demko some protection. Gives us an exposable goalie, and in 2 years, we will know what we have in DiPietro.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Tciso wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:36 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:51 am Sounds like marky is a hot commodity with Detroit, Calgary, Toronto and others all super interested. Also sounds like he may be able to get 6+mil for term, if that’s the case it’s probably bye big guy. I wonder if marky goes the route of bobrovsky when away from Ian Clarke.
Maybe we can get a 7th for trading his rights. Send him to Detroit. He won't harm us there. :D

Seriously though. How can Toronto be in this discussion. They are totally broke. If they get Marky, they have to trade Anderson first.

Let Marky walk, and sign Cam Talbot to a $2million 2 year deal. That allows Demko some protection. Gives us an exposable goalie, and in 2 years, we will know what we have in DiPietro.
I have a lot of faith that whoever we get if they come in ready to work with Ian Clarke, our goaltending situation will be good.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:38 pm
From a chicken shit like you? Not likely. You and Mëds are insulating each other (gross) with more posts on Markstrom, and his multiple
options then everyone else (including me) combined.
Oh Gomer... Your eating multiple crayons again!! 🖍

First, I am encouraging you to keep trying. Be better. That’s one of the messages in the video! If you couldn’t (or didn’t) watch it, I guess I could post multiple links to the same song for you if you ask nice!! (This is the green crayon)

Second, I am not insulating. I have been consistent in my message and opinion about what we should do with our goalies for the next few years. It’s called: ‘having my own opinion and discussing it’. Insulating is when you flip flop your opinion from post to post, agreeing with a bunch of other people for moral support, and then referencing back to your post saying ‘see, I was right’ like you do when your having your ‘EPIC’ battles with fellow posters. (This is you eating both the yellow and the orange crayons)

Third, I don’t know Mëds. Never met him at any of the meet and greets that have been hosted or organized. I am sure he is a fine fella with an opinion on hockey stuff. He seems funny sometimes, perhaps we could have a beer and watch a game sometimes. He is a fan of the team, it would probably be fun with interesting conversational topics and viewpoints. Not sure why that would be ‘gross’.. (this is you being petulant because your mommy took away the brown crayon so you couldn’t eat it)

Fourth, I have just under 4000 posts on this forum over 20+ years. You have over 13,000 in over 4 years... That is not ‘more posts’. I am not the guy posting almost 8 times a day to rack up my post count up while linking everything I read or heard to make me seem smarter than I really am so people think my multiple opinions matter. That is you. It’s why most here don’t really care about what you say, because your always blathering on about both sides of everything.. Or more often, blathering (now called Ghomering) about anything. I am the guy who has been posting here since before they were keeping the stats on posts, and my opinions don’t change depending on whose panties I sniffed while reading a previous post... so stop telling lies. (This is you eating the blue and red crayons)

But hey, you do you. Finish off the rest of the crayons before lunch.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

You forgot this MCP....

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Did Momma hide the brown crayons in the cat litter again???
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mick is like a wildebeest and you guys are a pack of hyenas...

Run Mickdebeest! Dont let them circle you in

If i really focus I think I can hear Lorne Greene narrating the take down
If you need air...call it in