Goalies moving forward.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What goalie situation is more palatable to you?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Signing Markstrom if it means losing Demko to a trade or expansion draft within a year.
22%
Not signing Markstrom if it means keeping Demko as the starter moving forward with a cheaper UFA backup.
78%

Total votes: 23

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Goalies moving forward.

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:16 pm
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:13 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:48 pm So what’s this? How many times are you going to post the same link?
Why don't you try and post something pertinent to the team all on your own? Including your source if required for validity.
Considering 80% of what you post doesn't qualify in that category, and 50% of that is unfounded rumor.....I'd say you're hardly one to talk there Sir Linksalot.
Says you shaggy. The rabbit was cool though.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:48 pm So what’s this? How many times are you going to post the same link?
Why don't you try and post something pertinent to the team all on your own? Including your source if required for validity.
Is this the part where I am supposed to quote myself with links to my posts??

Or should I just post a bunch of links to random shit from long ago?

Perhaps I could make up a previous conversation from someone who I was on the board with here for 13 weeks.. that would be EPIC!

Oh Gomer, how do you make these choices? Is it like choosing the crayons your going to eat each day??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:51 pm
Is this the part where I am supposed to quote myself with links to my posts??

Or should I just post a bunch of links to random shit from long ago?

Perhaps I could make up a previous conversation from someone who I was on the board with here for 13 weeks.. that would be EPIC!

Oh Gomer, how do you make these choices? Is it like choosing the crayons your going to eat each day??
I wouldn't even bother MCP.

Gomer is so far gone he eats the crayons because he read (in a link somewhere) that if he does he'll be able to finger paint a rainbow with his own feces the next day.....
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

... this is true.

Sadly, all true.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:07 am Markstrom will have to sign at 4 to 4.5. million per, if he wants a retirement style contract. That's the safe thing to do
and what I think he''ll do.
Micky wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:15 am Doubt the Canucks are willing to do 6m for 5 or 6 years. Had nothing gone wrong with world health that would have been his approximate
value I think. Maybe 5.8, maybe even 6.5 if others were locked up quickly.
For me, he's worth around 4.8 for three years. He wont do that.
Micky wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:49 am Really, it's all up to Jacob Markstrom. I don't think the door is by any means closed.
My guess would be he eventually decides to keep playing here even if it means a short contract for the time being. I'm also guessing he
may well be a capable net minder well into his mid 30s, even 37-38. Seems to have really come a long ways in his conditioning planning
Seriously Mick, do you have an Off Switch? :sly:

"Markstrom would have got up to $6.5M x 6 years if not for COVID but now he's worth $4.8 x 3... But he won't do that."

"I think Markstrom will sign a $4M-$4.5M-per retirement style contract.2 people asked what I mean by that, but I'm not answering."

"I think Markstrom will be a capable goalie for 7 more years and I also think he's only worth $4.8 x 3 years."

"Yeahno, I'm not here to have conversations... or even make sense... I just like to hear myself talk blah blah blah blah fucking blah."

For God's sake man. Shut. The fuck. Up.

____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick Marky will be cashing in wherever he goes. Hes a Vezina calibre goalie about to set him, his children and his childrens children up for life.

Hes easily going to be landing over 6.5 with another team, likely 6 at least if Van decides to step up.

I doubt Van steps up.
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Like I have said in earlier posts. It all depends if Markey is willing to go a short term contract to stay with the team to try and win now. He needs a 1 year to avoid expansion, then another 1 year to avoid our salary cap issues, then he can sign his 3-4 year contract with a list of teams we can’t trade him to.

If he isn’t interested in winning here, he will end up with a team that needs him as a rebuilding piece, opposed to a team that needs another piece. Last I checked, the Rest of the contenders were all set in goal.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 pm Like I have said in earlier posts. It all depends if Markey is willing to go a short term contract to stay with the team to try and win now. He needs a 1 year to avoid expansion, then another 1 year to avoid our salary cap issues, then he can sign his 3-4 year contract with a list of teams we can’t trade him to.

If he isn’t interested in winning here, he will end up with a team that needs him as a rebuilding piece, opposed to a team that needs another piece. Last I checked, the Rest of the contenders were all set in goal.
That's a fair point.

The only thing I can see where he goes somewhere that can realistically even look at a playoff birth is a scenario like the low rumor that Montreal might send Price to Colorado for something big.....then the Habs could sign Markstrom.

But that's an unfounded rumor.....the scenario is the only one I can see where Marky goes to a playoff team as an UFA.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 pm Like I have said in earlier posts. It all depends if Markey is willing to go a short term contract to stay with the team to try and win now. He needs a 1 year to avoid expansion, then another 1 year to avoid our salary cap issues, then he can sign his 3-4 year contract with a list of teams we can’t trade him to.

Carolina and Colorado could both use an upgrade in net. Markstrom is 30 and he’s had a couple of injuries recently. This could be his one chance to cash in despite the lack of gate revenue for teams. He’s a legit top 10 goalie and the best one on the market. He risks a lot by signing one or two year deals to help the Canucks out of their self induced cap hell.

I’m curious if he will sign a “retirement style contract”
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

If Cap Friendly is correct there won’t be much difference next season. Yes a few guys are gone but EP and QH may take a lot of that space up.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:18 pm

Carolina and Colorado could both use an upgrade in net. Markstrom is 30 and he’s had a couple of injuries recently. This could be his one chance to cash in despite the lack of gate revenue for teams. He’s a legit top 10 goalie and the best one on the market. He risks a lot by signing one or two year deals to help the Canucks out of their self induced cap hell.

I’m curious if he will sign a “retirement style contract”

I agree it’s risky for a player to sign 1 year contracts, but I am hoping that whole ‘closest room ever seen’ comments made at the end of the season aid the decision making process here for us.

I also agree If Marky doesn’t sign here, he will be the best FA goalie on the market.

.. and only Gomer and those competing in the special olympics -while watching (and living by) the last few seconds of Garth Brooks ‘Standing Outside the Fire’ video- know what a ‘retirement style contract’ is.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

And for the record, I think you can get up and keep running, Micky!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:04 pm And for the record, I think you can get up and keep running, Micky!!
From a chicken shit like you? Not likely. You and Mëds are insulating each other (gross) with more posts on Markstrom, and his multiple
options then everyone else (including me) combined.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:04 pm And for the record, I think you can get up and keep running, Micky!!
Mick will drag himself across the finish line bloodied and broken with one arm if it means posting just.......one..........more.............link.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Sounds like marky is a hot commodity with Detroit, Calgary, Toronto and others all super interested. Also sounds like he may be able to get 6+mil for term, if that’s the case it’s probably bye big guy. I wonder if marky goes the route of bobrovsky when away from Ian Clarke.