From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by BCExpat »

Micky wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 am
Calgary Flames
@NHLFlames
Some news to kick off your week!

The #Flames have named Geoff Ward head coach: https://cflam.es/2RsnbnT
8:45 AM · Sep 14, 2020
No strong opinion from me on this, either way. Let's see what they do as far as trades and draft picks in the off-season.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ward had a winning pctg over .600. I can’t imagine Treliving is going to get to fire anymore coaches though. Not a sexy choice but he did ok with what he has there.

I’m sure the fans of Calgary would have rather got Gerard Gallant. I’m curious where he turns up.

Agree with Expat. The manager is on the clock and needs to make some bold moves.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

They can't keep changing coaches, how many coaches has that core had now? Is it, 4, 5 or 6? They need to touch their core and move out a big name to wake the players up. Also, Gio is probably on a downward's trend now too so their D, which should have been a strength of their team needs help now too.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

theman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:15 am They can't keep changing coaches, how many coaches has that core had now? Is it, 4, 5 or 6? They need to touch their core and move out a big name to wake the players up. Also, Gio is probably on a downward's trend now too so their D, which should have been a strength of their team needs help now too.
They need to recoup some assets for micro mouse and money hands before their value craters. Any tinkering that doesnt involve these pieces moving out will be a failure
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:59 am
theman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:15 am They can't keep changing coaches, how many coaches has that core had now? Is it, 4, 5 or 6? They need to touch their core and move out a big name to wake the players up. Also, Gio is probably on a downward's trend now too so their D, which should have been a strength of their team needs help now too.
They need to recoup some assets for micro mouse and money hands before their value craters. Any tinkering that doesnt involve these pieces moving out will be a failure
Agree, I would move out Gaudreau, he would probably get the best return for them right now. Think Monahan can rebound and as a centre, is more valuable to the team than Gaudreau anyway.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Ward is the Flames 20th coach in franchise history. They are ok on D even without Gio, as they will have Valimaki in the lineup next season. Hopefully they are able to re-sign TJ Brodie, but they probably won't. They need to pick up a goalie - there should be a few available, it's just a matter of the price tag. On offense, they need a top line centre and another top 6 forward - a pretty tall order. We'll see who they end up trading - Johnny would be the prime candidate but who knows. I don't expect the Flames to get everything they need in the off season. They seem to end up with band-aid solutions that never work out that well.

For the record, I hope they keep Money hands - I think he will bounce back as he has been a consistent 30 goal scorer since joining the Flames.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Could the Flames be interested in Markstrom?
The Flames are, and should be, interested in Jacob Markstrom
SEPTEMBER 19, 2020, 5:00 PM | PAT STEINBERG;

I believe the Calgary Flames will seriously pursue Jacob Markstrom if they get the chance. The pending unrestricted free agent has put together three straight solid seasons with the Vancouver Canucks, including a 2019-20 campaign that rightly put him in Vezina Trophy conversations. Whether Markstrom gets to free agency is still up in the air, but if it happens, Calgary has every reason to make him their number one off-season target.

What we know
The Flames are interested. It has been my understanding since before the NHL’s return the Flames held interest in Markstrom on the off-chance he got to free agency. In recent weeks, I’ve had that confirmed by multiple contacts, in Calgary, Vancouver, and across the league. I’m confident in saying Markstrom is currently one of the team’s top points of interest.
https://flamesnation.ca/2020/09/19/the- ... markstrom/
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:21 am Could the Flames be interested in Markstrom?
DUH
____
Try to focus on someday.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Darcy Kuemper from Phoenix would also be a good target for the Flames, if he becomes available, but that would require spending assets.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BCExpat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:02 pm Darcy Kuemper from Phoenix would also be a good target for the Flames
Agreed.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Calgary Flames@NHLFlames
It's official.
🔥 It's time to go Full Retro
Comes with it's own little history montage . https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/13 ... 1061322758

"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Johnston: Mark Jankowski was not tendered a qualifying offer by the #flames and will become an unrestricted free agent.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

SKYO wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:58 pm Johnston: Mark Jankowski was not tendered a qualifying offer by the #flames and will become an unrestricted free agent.
Yeah he didn't do well last season. Played like he was just going through the motions. Before that, he was a great PK guy. I'm sure he will rebound somewhere as a 4th liner or PK guy.

I like what Tre did at the draft - recouping the third round draft picks he traded away and still getting the guy they were targeting - Conner Zary. Hopefully he turns out to be a 1C for the Flames. As for Markstrom, hopefully he chooses the Flames over the Oilers. I'd rather he stayed in Vancouver than sign with the Oilers.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:43 am
SKYO wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:58 pm Johnston: Mark Jankowski was not tendered a qualifying offer by the #flames and will become an unrestricted free agent.
Yeah he didn't do well last season. Played like he was just going through the motions. Before that, he was a great PK guy. I'm sure he will rebound somewhere as a 4th liner or PK guy.

I like what Tre did at the draft - recouping the third round draft picks he traded away and still getting the guy they were targeting - Conner Zary. Hopefully he turns out to be a 1C for the Flames. As for Markstrom, hopefully he chooses the Flames over the Oilers. I'd rather he stayed in Vancouver than sign with the Oilers.
Flames paid BIG bucks and term for the vets Markstrom 6 Years - $6M AAV, C. Tanev 4 Years - $4.5M AAV, $10.5M a year on those two, $54M dollars altogether.

Flames fans seem mediocre on these signings.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm sure they're thrilled about getting our sloppy seconds.... just like we would be getting 2 flames cast offs.

Both of those players will improve their team for a year or so.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."