HELP with renovations

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: HELP with renovations

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2Fingers wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:36 pm I am curious.

My en-suite needs to have the shower stall replaced and I was looking at going with tile vs. the standard shower stall. The base would not be tile.

i currently have something like this.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/maax-b ... 000161589

Is going with tile worth the extra work and money when you sell your place?
A sleek Fiberglass shower base is OK but for the love of mankind stay the fuck away from moulded shower stall inserts! So cheap and shitty
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I spoke with him today. He was a little snarky at first. He won't do a line breakdown unless I pay for the quote, time and money. What he did say was that he based his pricing on top shelf or above average materials so I know I can knock off from there. I don't need top line.

He has done a number of suites in my building so he has familiarity with the building and its issues. He also has a good working relationship with the building manger which is worth gold when schedule elevators etc.

I've seen a couple of suites he did and they are good. Clean work and good finishes. The two clients I spoke with were happy. He is fairly good on timelines and very few cost over runs.

I don't have the skill set to act as my own general. But I can do some of my own purchasing. He prefers the client do the purchasing but he will work with you to point you in the direction to go.

He said units my size he has done in the building come in around 60k to 65k. Mine is where its at because of a few major things.

One, the asbestos remediation which is 13k-14k.

Two, upgraded electrical panel

Three, upgraded electrical work I wanted done, extra lighting, extra outlets, ceiling fans etc.

So it seems that extra work I want done is what has jacked the price up from his 60-65 to 90-100.

I have asked him for his labour costs/estimate and then I can look at material costs separately and see where I can shave. I mean I don't need a 6-7k appliance package. I can do 3-4 and be happy. So it looks like I need to sharpen my pencil. I have a friend who is a retired contractor and she is meeting with me on Friday. She said she can oversee the project for me and help me with purchasing materials at the right time. So perhaps by Friday I will have a better sense. I had budgeted 60k and I can still come in around that if I live with popcorn and forgot upgrading the electrical. It's all going to come down to what I want in the end.

It would be a nightmare if I tried to self manage. If I think this is my forever place and plan to be there 10-15 years its worth the cost I guess but if I sell in the next 5 years then it will be a classic over renovate.....
The only HW the Canucks need
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:06 pm Ya I spoke with him today. He was a little snarky at first. He won't do a line breakdown unless I pay for the quote, time and money. What he did say was that he based his pricing on top shelf or above average materials so I know I can knock off from there. I don't need top line.

He has done a number of suites in my building so he has familiarity with the building and its issues. He also has a good working relationship with the building manger which is worth gold when schedule elevators etc.

I've seen a couple of suites he did and they are good. Clean work and good finishes. The two clients I spoke with were happy. He is fairly good on timelines and very few cost over runs.

I don't have the skill set to act as my own general. But I can do some of my own purchasing. He prefers the client do the purchasing but he will work with you to point you in the direction to go.

He said units my size he has done in the building come in around 60k to 65k. Mine is where its at because of a few major things.

One, the asbestos remediation which is 13k-14k.

Two, upgraded electrical panel

Three, upgraded electrical work I wanted done, extra lighting, extra outlets, ceiling fans etc.

So it seems that extra work I want done is what has jacked the price up from his 60-65 to 90-100.

I have asked him for his labour costs/estimate and then I can look at material costs separately and see where I can shave. I mean I don't need a 6-7k appliance package. I can do 3-4 and be happy. So it looks like I need to sharpen my pencil. I have a friend who is a retired contractor and she is meeting with me on Friday. She said she can oversee the project for me and help me with purchasing materials at the right time. So perhaps by Friday I will have a better sense. I had budgeted 60k and I can still come in around that if I live with popcorn and forgot upgrading the electrical. It's all going to come down to what I want in the end.

It would be a nightmare if I tried to self manage. If I think this is my forever place and plan to be there 10-15 years its worth the cost I guess but if I sell in the next 5 years then it will be a classic over renovate.....
You should still get a couple of more quotes - general rule - get at least 3 quotes, just for comparison. The one red flag for me, is that he wants you to pay for a proper estimate (ie - line by line). At that point I would show him the door. You can be damn sure that he is getting proper quotes from all his subtrades, so there is no reason for him not to pass that info on to you.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Totally agree with Expat. This guy should be able to break down the quote line by line. I’d give him the hook and get a couple more people in there. He sounds like the guy who sits behind the visitors bench at Canucks games.

Get a person you trust to help walk you through a lot of this. There’s a lot of greaseball Goombas out there with the thick gold rope chains who want to skin you alive. That asbestos removal for a place that size seems way high.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Is the asbestos in the walls and the ceiling... or just the walls?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

HW

Don’t listen to Doyle, he’s a scheister.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm Is the asbestos in the walls and the ceiling... or just the walls?
Ceiling and drywall tape
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:21 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm Is the asbestos in the walls and the ceiling... or just the walls?
Ceiling and drywall tape
Ok that is a bit trickier... seems still a bit high, but the shit is a bitch to remove. We had to remove a similar product on a work project years ago. It wasn’t asbestos but it was still poisonous crap, though not as bad. The name of it escapes me. Edit.... it was thermoset resin. Not as bad as asbestos but it’s linked to some breathing problems and maybe some types of breast cancer. You wonder what our retarded forefathers were thinking stuffing roofs and ceilings with that crap.

Get that shit out Wids. But the price for abatement seems pretty thick.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The cost is high because popcorn asbestos ceilings are deemed a “high risk removal” due to popcorn ceilings when disturbed becomes highly friable (airborne) which means that WCB requires a shower set up during abatement, not required in wall board or ceiling tape mud asbestos. Factor in that it’s a condo, there is extra work involved as so not to put your neighbors at risk. Same square ft area in a detached home should be under $10,000
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:50 pm. He sounds like the guy who sits behind the visitors bench at Canucks games.

There’s a lot of greaseball Goombas out there with the thick gold rope chains who want to skin you alive.
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:27 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:21 pm
Ceiling and drywall tape
Ok that is a bit trickier... seems still a bit high, but the shit is a bitch to remove. We had to remove a similar product on a work project years ago. It wasn’t asbestos but it was still poisonous crap, though not as bad. The name of it escapes me. Edit.... it was thermoset resin. Not as bad as asbestos but it’s linked to some breathing problems and maybe some types of breast cancer. You wonder what our retarded forefathers were thinking stuffing roofs and ceilings with that crap.

Get that shit out Wids. But the price for abatement seems pretty thick.
Yeah, you do wonder what they were thinking....

:shock:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.