GDT: R2/G7 Sep 4 Vancouver - Vegas 6:00 Snet - Game Seven!

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: R2/G7 Sep 4 Vancouver - Vegas 6:00 Snet - Game Seven!

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Myers had a good game, other than that nobody else did other than Demko
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:06 pmTeam sports were never my thing, I don’t get it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Even though I didn't realistically expect us to pull it off against VGK (knew they were THE worst matchup for us in the league), all I wanted was to see that team sweat a little before they took the series and they clearly sweat a LOT. My only regret is I wish the sweat was more a result of even play and not just from Demko. So I'm left with a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth with how wide of a margin the territorial play was and how far we need to go. That said, the good news is there's only one Vegas. Not sure we'd beat any of the teams remaining but watching all the other series I can guarantee we would've competed and been right there with any of them. They present other challenges but there's actually room to move in those other games, something this young Nucks team needs in order to show their strength. VGK was just a nightmare at closing time and space and I for one am relieved we don't have to watch us get owned so badly by them anymore (until next year??).

Now for the real good news...

We got 17 valuable games of playoff experience with two winning handshakes.

We found out our best players actually compete in the playoffs, consistently!

We just might have a tender who can win a series all on his own, this could be the biggest and most important revelation.

The bad news is I expect to take a step backward next season given the salary situation and still being anchored by that slow, overpaid bottom six. But I firmly believe we might be 2 or 3 years away from being serious contenders. Patience is a key, just hope Aqualini gets that.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

One thing is for certain - Benning needs to somehow upgrade on Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Pearson, Benn, Fattenberg and Roussel.

They stink
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:14 pm One thing is for certain - Benning needs to somehow upgrade on Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Pearson, Benn, Fattenberg and Roussel.

They stink
Fantenberg... really? You should watch the games half sober once in awhile. Wake the fuck up
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Bo Horvat speaking like a captain while the Chef dives for dollars at the Dufferin.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

I wasn't a huge fan of Fantenberg in the reg season but I don't think you can ask for anything more from a sixth d-man, he was more than fine (that's not to say I want him back). The 3+ million dollar bottom six guys on the other hand... if anybody wants to know why we couldn't compete don't need to look any further then right there.
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:14 pm One thing is for certain - Benning needs to somehow upgrade on Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Pearson, Benn, Fattenberg and Roussel.

They stink
And who assembled these players?

Benning got rid of the 2011-12 team, except for Horvat, Tanev, Edler.
He's had about 6 years to rebuild, so what the heck is going on?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

NBC, cause I dont like Debruskeeee

Reaves on Russell --- https://streamable.com/7s6hp3

Reaves and Virtanen --- https://streamable.com/r2n0el
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Big block tanev --- https://streamable.com/o7t2yv

Chance by Pettersson would have been offside --- https://streamable.com/1qtm61

Big save on Brock -- https://streamable.com/u5andy -- if he coulds got it off a tad faster?

So you want to be a goalie? --- https://streamable.com/j564b6

Reeves the jerk on Motte --- https://streamable.com/6hfl6n

Keep doin this. Ya dork ---https://streamable.com/ue1okg

One Toffoli could have had-- https://streamable.com/eoep9b
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Damned proud of these kids.

I'm convinced Vegas blood dopes between periods or is straight up juicing. I've never seen a team play that hard and attack that relentlessly and have any gas in the tank to do the same in their own end.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:25 pm Benning got rid of the 2011-12 team, except for Horvat, Tanev, Edler.

So... we should've kept Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Hansen, etc..??

Zamboni Driver wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:25 pm He's had about 6 years to rebuild, so what the heck is going on?

Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Miller, Demko is what's going on.

The overpaid bottom six is regrettable for sure and absolutely reason for criticism, but you can do a lot worse rebuilding a core in a six year span. We have a helluva good one moving forward with more good parts coming and he should ultimately be judged for that imo over the contract mistakes.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

As much as Demko was playing like a demigod for the past 3 games

I don't think you guys should dismiss what Marky has done in the past 2 years.

He's definitely a top 5 goalie in the league at least in the past 2 years
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Boys were exhausted and didn’t have a push back left. Back-to-backs were a lot to ask. Vegas players looked not only stronger, but also better conditioned. The Canucks needs better passers and better receivers of passes. Vegas constantly skated the puck out of their zone and back to the Canucks zone fast. The Canucks were off the glass or flipping it out all the time. Too many Canucks were bobbling or double clutching too often.

I thought Fantenberg was really good, but definitely a depth guy. He played like a warrior all series, but he doesn’t move the puck well enough to be in the top four. Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty need to be given long leases next season. The team needs more skill back there.

The Canucks are set in net with Demko. You can’t lose this guy to sign Marky. It’d be as bad or worse than Toronto trading a young Tuukka Rask to Boston.

Time for Benning to start moving out the vets and giving more opportunities to the youth. Finally saw Jake with Gaudette and Motte late in the third when they were down. It became apparent that Sutter, Beagle and Roussel weren’t able to offer any offence and they were put on the fourth line.

Pearson is okay in the regular season, but once the pace gets this high, he became ineffective.

Jake, Miller, Motte and sometimes Boeser were the only wingers that could keep up. Toffoli was coming back from injury. He may have more to offer, but it wasn’t shown in this series.

Oh well, great season. Loved seeing the kids develop. You know Petty and Hughes will use this loss as fuel to improve their games, and they’ll be awesome. Benning has difficult decisions to make. Hard to say how much the team can be changed with the current cap, but the future still looks bright and lots of veteran contracts locked in for one or two more seasons. It’ll be an interesting off season.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

F uk. Drukn as fuc
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.