match the kesler offer??

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should the Canucks exercise their right to match Kesler's offer from the Flyers?

Heck yes
57%
Hell no
43%

Total votes: 49

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

hench wrote:well they signed the bastard. so he better work his ass off this year and get atleast 20 goals. otherwise nonis just wasted money on him.
I think there's a great chance of that happening if he plays the majority of the year on the top 2 lines.

Like I said before, you'll all think he's a bargain then. It would barely be more than the elite 3rd liner is making.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I guess I will just look at this a different way.

The guys gets a million dollar bonus this year for punching out Iginla last year....

Money well spent. ;)
Geez, maybe he's underpaid then?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

tantalum wrote:Ah yes Calgary's 67 point "best player in the world".....

:lol:

You've been slumming over there, haven't you?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I'd hardly call what Kesler did punching out Igilna. He lost that fight. He showed up, showed heart and tried his damndest but he did not win.

I say let him go.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Well I didn't agree with the decision to match but it was a tough call and now that its done all we can do is hope that it turns out to be the right move. Funny thing is that if he does earn his contract this year he's going to want 3 mill or more next year so we're fucked either way.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

magnum44 wrote:Well I didn't agree with the decision to match but it was a tough call and now that its done all we can do is hope that it turns out to be the right move. Funny thing is that if he does earn his contract this year he's going to want 3 mill or more next year so we're fucked either way.
Wow Mag44 you are just a little bitter. He isn't worth 1.9 but if he does turn out to be worth it then he'll want more. Man what an ingrate eh?
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

i would have just liked to have seen him sign longterm if we're going to pay him him 1.9. Kind of negates the value of developing your draft picks if you have to pay them top dollar and renegotiate every year during their restricted years. the sedins were only making kesler money last season and they were higher draft picks with multiple seasons under their belt who played during a no cap system. Does anyone honestly think kesler is going to be as valuable to the team NEXT year? And from what I understand 1.9mill is now his qualifying offer for next year regardless of how he performs.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

magnum44 wrote:i would have just liked to have seen him sign longterm if we're going to pay him him 1.9. Kind of negates the value of developing your draft picks if you have to pay them top dollar and renegotiate every year during their restricted years. the sedins were only making kesler money last season and they were higher draft picks with multiple seasons under their belt who played during a no cap system. Does anyone honestly think kesler is going to be as valuable to the team NEXT year? And from what I understand 1.9mill is now his qualifying offer for next year regardless of how he performs.
Agreed, but if he underperforms, we can take him to arbitration, but then he'd become UFA in a year, so we better take the opportunity to steal something from Clarke AND drive up his cap.
Mark
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

No matter what happens this year Kesler will need to be qualified at 1.9 or higher next year or else he becomes a ufa.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

magnum44 wrote:No matter what happens this year Kesler will need to be qualified at 1.9 or higher next year or else he becomes a ufa.
I'm not sure the procedure, but he is eligible for us to take him to arbitration, so maybe we have to qualify and THEN take him to arbitration, or we file for arbitration right from the start. I'm not sure how it works, but we definitely have the right to take him there and lower his salary if he underperforms, the catch is that he becomes UFA much sooner, I think if we do take him to arbitration, then he automatically becomes a UFA after the year of the new contract.

My preference would be for Nonis to sign him long-term as soon as he can (I think in January he can start negotiating an extension) that would make the $1.9 million a bit more reasonable, if he doesn't perform well, if he does, great, then just qualify him straight up.
Mark
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

magnum44 wrote:i would have just liked to have seen him sign longterm if we're going to pay him him 1.9.
According to the CBA this can't be done until Jan.
magnum44 wrote: Kind of negates the value of developing your draft picks if you have to pay them top dollar and renegotiate every year during their restricted years.
Totally agree, and this is what most posters were getting at by putting the blame on Clarke.
magnum44 wrote: the sedins were only making kesler money last season
Took the Sedins 5 years to get to their mark (and they were still 600K lower than what Clarke offered). When Clarke complains that he isn't inflating prices/salaries, this is a perfect example of his ignorance/arrogance.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re:

Post by rats19 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:I know the Canucks have invested quite a bit in Kesler, but at this point I'd prefer the cap space and the second rounder.

As I recall, his projected career upside was 'elite' third liner. I think that's just too much money for that kind of player under the current CBA.
Wee bit of the ghosts wisdom...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Re:

Post by Jovocop »

rats19 wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:I know the Canucks have invested quite a bit in Kesler, but at this point I'd prefer the cap space and the second rounder.

As I recall, his projected career upside was 'elite' third liner. I think that's just too much money for that kind of player under the current CBA.
To be fair, some people, including hockey analysts, thought Burke was nuts to draft Kesler instead of Tambellini... :lol:
To be bad, Burke missed Backes in the second round. Instead, he drafted Marc-Andre Bernier. :(
Last edited by Jovocop on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Jovocop wrote:
rats19 wrote:

To be fair, most people thought Burke was nuts to draft Kesler instead of Tambellini... :lol:
This wasn't about the draft..offer sheet from clarkypoo at resign time..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

rats19 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
To be fair, most people thought Burke was nuts to draft Kesler instead of Tambellini... :lol:
This wasn't about the draft..offer sheet from clarkypoo at resign time..
I understood. I was just saying that not many people thought that Kesler was anything more than a third line centre from the day he was drafted until the offer sheet from Clarke.