GDT R2/G3 (V 2.0) Aug 29 Vancouver~Vegas Sportsnet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT R2/G3 (V 2.0) Aug 29 Vancouver~Vegas Sportsnet

Post by Mickey107 »

Smith with a dangerous slash on Hughes in the 1st -- https://streamable.com/klp399

tit for tat, tat lost. Marchessault trips Pettersson- -https://streamable.com/9f226x

Gimmy 25 years back and "I'll" show this Clucker WTF matters -- https://streamable.com/xpa7pi :look: even 20.
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

OK, we had pity on Reaves and Vegas with the whole #BlackLIvesMatter thing, so we gave them this one. Next game, we'll be back to our A game and give them a can of whoop ass! :P

Just wanted to say, it seems like whenever Tuch is on the breakaway, he seems to always shoot. Marky Mark has gotta come out and take the shot away from him, force him out of his comfort zone and make him think about deking. Maybe he's thinking shot all the way anyways, so he'll either hit Marky or miss the net. As much as I like Fatenberger, Benn and Beags, with their footspeed, I wouldn't be surprised if Tuch gets a couple more breakaways this series. Man, Vegas seems to spring Tuch on the breakaway, like the way we used to spring the Russian Rocket.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

POST game: with Jacob Markstrom, JT Miller and Tanner Pearson with just a very few words, mostly Miller.

Then Travis Green (looking really tired), obviously not pleased

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/post- ... /c-5409963 .. NOTE: the post game presser ended abruptly for some reason ????
"As a young guy, finding his way through another round of the playoffs, he's fine. I'm not worried about him at all... He's adapting to it, still doing a lot of good things on the PP... not worried about him one bit, he'll be fine." - Green on Hughes
-------------
"I liked our start, I thought we were unlucky to be down 2-0. That happens in playoff hockey. When we get down we tend to overpass the puck a bit, but I really liked our first period. I think we could've been up after the first but that's playoff hockey." - Green
Irfaan Gaffar@irfgaffar
I understand people lighting up Brock, but he was playing with a heavy heart as he lost a family member (cousin) today.
10:24 PM · Aug 29, 2020·
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Micky wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:49 pm [
"As a young guy, finding his way through another round of the playoffs, he's fine. I'm not worried about him at all... He's adapting to it, still doing a lot of good things on the PP... not worried about him one bit, he'll be fine." - Green on Hughes
-------------
"I liked our start, I thought we were unlucky to be down 2-0. That happens in playoff hockey. When we get down we tend to overpass the puck a bit, but I really liked our first period. I think we could've been up after the first but that's playoff hockey." - Green
Irfaan Gaffar@irfgaffar
I understand people lighting up Brock, but he was playing with a heavy heart as he lost a family member (cousin) today.
10:24 PM · Aug 29, 2020·
Yeah team came out with some fire, but down 2-0 and the team lost it's mojo.

Shots on goal were pretty even 34 vegas, 31 canucks.
So the chances were there, just their goalie was better than our goalie.

Lehner seems to have off games though sometimes, so maybe tomorrow our boys will wake up from their funk and start scoring.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:18 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:15 pm Go Canucks!
Hey, you're here! :D

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:15 pm I've decided the only way I'll be able to watch the rest of the series and playoffs is on tape delay so you'll have to excuse my absence from the live game threads. Will reevaluate the situation next season.

Go Canucks!
Just to quickly wish the team well ;)
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I wound having a nice nap by the third period.

I think it might be time to deploy the Chatfield just to create a level playing field.
el rey del mambo
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Miller not taking face-offs points to an injury. After the series, I won’t be surprised if we find out Tanev or Hughes are playing with injuries, too. Their play has taken a step down this series, or maybe it’s just Vegas is that good. The problem with resigning Tanev is his peak was a couple years ago. He’ll probably get a big, long payday from another team. He should do that as it’s his last chance to cash in. I don’t know if it should be the Canucks making that deal though.

I don’t think Benn and Fantenberg are playing poorly, but they are third pairing guys with average speed. I’ve been quite impressed with Fantenberg and would like him back next year. The problem is Vegas is a team of players with above average speed. They could try Juolevi, I guess, but that’s a bit overwhelming at this point. Not sure if any of the black aces come in for the back-to-backs, but some fresh legs might help.

Pearson, Boeser, and Roussel, are good players with average speed who are pretty ineffective right now because they don’t seem to have a second gear that the playoffs require. Jake has that speed, and it’s why Green moved him into Brock's spot during the game. Sometimes that works, but Jake isn’t the playmaker that Brock is. Toffoli, Miller, Jake and Motte are the only wingers showing enough speed to sometimes pressure Vegas, the rest have to back off defensively so they don’t get beat. The good thing is all the Canuck centres can keep up. Gaudette has shown a lot of jump and grit. Generally the Canucks have better centres but Vegas has better wingers. A lot of the speed issues will go away if the Canucks move the puck better.

I’d still rather see Jake starting the game with Gaudette instead of Beagle. How about a third line of Motte Gaudette and Virtanen to pressure Vegas. Let a forth line of Beagle, Sutter and Roussel get limited minutes, kill penalties and concentrate on defence.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

How many times has Miller been caught on camera grimacing? Toffoli was missing in action last night. Boeser even worse. Brock looks
like that bad back is acting up again. There's a certain smoothness to his skating that has never really returned.

Have to give Vegas credit for keeping the Canucks to low percentage scoring chances. Better game plan, I guess.
Our power play against St. Louis - 35%
Our power play against Vegas - 9%
Travis; Let's figures shit out here.
"evolution"
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

The wear and tear of playing 2 physical teams is showing, and it's exposing our lack of depth.

Not looking great, but hey, the boys did surprise with a gutsy bounce back in game 5 vs the Blues. They may pull another one out of the hat yet.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This team is full of surprises, I'm not counting them out.

Who's stepping up for the GDT? Doc - you feelin' it today?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Canucks carried the play early mostly on the backs of those PP. Their PP looked good early on but that other goalie was great. It could have easily been 2 or 3 to zip early for the Canucks.But great goaltending at the right time is part of a winning team and Vegas had it last night. Then we let in 2 very quick goals on piss poor plays on our part and we started clutching. We started over passing looking for that perfect shot.

I though it was one of our better games against Vegas actually, just that they had great goaltending last night. Offensively they have a lot of weapons and were very opportunistic with the chances they got.

Even though the score was 3-0 I thought it could have been closer. So Im actually not too disappointed with the outcome. However, today will be a huge test for the guys. Vegas should come out for blood early to try and put us down. We have to be ready and match the intensity.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It looks to me like Miller has some kind of arm injury. He’s grimaced enough to point to some kind of walking injury
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Need something to get a jump. Will we see Green switch the top two centres? Put the Lotto line back together, and put Pearson back with Bo (and Toffoli). Get a kids line going for offence (Motte, Gaudette, Virtanen) and use the bottom three to kill penalties. Maybe switch out Roussel for MacEwen or Bailey if the refs are going to neuter him and keep targeting every move he makes.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:48 am It looks to me like Miller has some kind of arm injury. I’m lucky I look like the grimace enough to get a side gig at McDonald’s
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

As an employee Chef gets all the fries he wants and can lick under the ice cream machine when its quiet
If you need air...call it in