From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Carl Yagro »

Mëds wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:19 pm Considering where we were picking, I wanted Hughes.

I didn't have a clue who Pettersson was.

Maybe Chef should send in a resume for Brackett's old spot?
If we're all going to be honest, I think most of us had no clue about Pettersson.

At the 2018 draft, I really wanted us to draft a right-handed Dman because it was an organizational weakness.

I didn't like Bouchard from what I saw. Boqvist looked pretty dynamic (my first choice). Then the more I saw Dobson, the more I was leaning towards him. TBH, I didn't know too much about Hughes until some bloggers started raving about his offensive skills.

Near the draft, I kept hearing more about drafting Hughes if available. I was on board despite being skeptical about his size and defensive abilities. I have never been happier to have been wrong.

Dude should apply for the tank commander/scout position. His prognostications are that good!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:52 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:21 pm Funny fact: a huge majority of this board wanted Noah Dobson and Gabe Vilardi/Cody Glass in 2017 and 2018.
Chef Dude is not a huge majority of this board.

His prognostications skills however, are quite terrible. He's often incorrect and his backpedalling is hilarious :lol:

This place would be a lot less lively without the Dude-isms.
I love the Chef. He’s great. But he also tells the board how great 100 prospects are per year, then says he always liked that guy. He was a ringleader on both those 17/18 picks ( he wanted Glass, Vilardi, Dobson as much as anyone) who will still likely be good players. He called Hughes an elf and a shrimp and Pettersson a Ferrence type toothpick. any moron can throw five hundred blobs of shit against the wall and when one or two stick, he thinks he’s a wizard.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:17 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:37 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:21 pm
ESQ wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:46 am
Thanks god some Canucks fans could handle a rebuild and see this through!
Meh.... that’s Doc’s party line, and nobody on this board couldn’t handle a rebuild. Some of us have been calling for it at various times, but most if not all embraced it. Benning got his head caved in here from his own hemorrhaging of picks for useless tits. That’s water under a bridge.

Funny fact: a huge majority of this board wanted Noah Dobson and Gabe Vilardi/Cody Glass in 2017 and 2018. I didn’t see many people jumping up and down to pick Petterson and Hughes until AFTER they were chosen. If he would have went with THIS boards preferences he would h
be out of a job. Credit Benning and the scouting staff for saving his bacon. He would have been out of a job without Hughes and Pettersson.
You might be right Blob. Those two make up for a lot of mistakes.
I see what you are saying, but two players don't change a franchise totally, it takes an entire team to win.

Just look at the Oilers with McJesus and Draisaitl BEASTS, top point getter's in the league and playoffs - yet knocked out in the qualifer.

Leaves have arguably 3-4 High End game changers - yet knocked out in the qualifer.

What I'm trying to say is YES obviously Petey and Hughes are game changers and franchise players - it's similar to the Chicago Blackhawks - when they were built different and then added Kane/Toews to their pretty good team, it put them over the top.

Jim Benning has put together a strong supportive cast around Petey and Hughes, from before and after they arrived so they can better succeed, JB has never tried to tank, Benning has always maintained a steady goal in mind in trying to build a competitive team since his arrival, by adding competitive players who never quit, work hard and are go-getters, it helps build the teams mentality and character, he did this through drafting, free agent signings via UFA or college FA's and trades.
I think the point of Blobcat's post, and ESQ's reply was exclusively pointing to drafted players.

Currently the only Benning-drafted players in our lineup are Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, and Virtanen.

Take the Alien and Huggie out of that mix and the players he's drafted don't make the impact required for us to be where we are.

Nobody can dispute the job he's done with the supporting cast. In particular Pearson, Miller, and Myers, and to a lesser extent Beagle and Rooster.

Also credit has to go to him (and Green?) for some of the assistant coaching positions. Malhotra has been huge in Bo's development, and whoever is working with Markstrom (Ian Clarke?) has been fantastic.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:40 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:21 pm Funny fact: a huge majority of this board wanted Noah Dobson and Gabe Vilardi/Cody Glass in 2017 and 2018.

His prognostications skills however, are quite terrible. He's often incorrect and his backpedalling is hilarious :lol:

I love the Chef. He’s great. But he also tells the board how great 100 prospects are per year, then says he always liked that guy. He was a ringleader on both those 17/18 picks ( he wanted Glass, Vilardi, Dobson as much as anyone) who will still likely be good players. He called Hughes an elf and a shrimp and Pettersson a Ferrence type toothpick. any moron can throw five hundred blobs of shit against the wall and when one or two stick, he thinks he’s a wizard.
A very entertaining turd-flinging monkey that Dude is :lol:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The beauty of this here hockey forum is the collection of characters.....this place is a sum of all its parts, and that's what makes it a cut above the rest of places out there. We tolerate mongoloids and rotten fish, but we don't get heavy handed on anyone for putting them in their place regularly. Hell, we even go through regular phases where we "eat our own" and still plug along with minimal interference from heavy handed moderators.....because really none of them are assholes (after all Doc loves assholes), and the only bias one will find amongst them is Corn's heavy political leaning in his support of The Donald.....and face it he even hides that amazingly well behind a veil of outright denial (but we know).....I think it's tucked nicely away there with his "non-existent" Messier love.

I love this place. :P
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Corn riding around on his john queer rocking his prized rags messier jersey and a MAGA hat

:mex:
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:34 pm I want to be banned in the middle of the playoffs.

Google translate works well from redneck gibberish to english...

You and Mëds can share a beer somewhere.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:47 pm

A very entertaining turd-flinging monkey that Dude is :lol:
The shit that people roll their eyes at imho is “Blob wanted Dobson and I wanted Hughes” .... etc ..... it’s fairly easy for folks to search... I don’t give a fuck but he clings to that shit like grim death.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:17 pm The shit that people roll their eyes at imho is “Blob wanted Dobson and I wanted Hughes” .... etc ..... it’s fairly easy for folks to search... I don’t give a fuck but he clings to that shit like grim death.
Hehe, I'm guilty for enjoying that ;)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Search for Paddy + Strangelove driving the Pettersson bandwagon

... gathering up some passengers in the weeks leading up to the 2017 draft! :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Actually some objective observations on both the nucks and flames in the st louis vancouver game thread over at calpuck. Except for dino7c...he's apparently a straight up corn fed moron.
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:22 pm Actually some objective observations on both the nucks and flames in the st louis vancouver game thread over at calpuck. Except for dino7c...he's apparently a straight up corn fed moron.
The hate is real for that mongoloid.

They're pretty testy tonight, attacking each other for daring to suggest that their precious heroes are not as good as our boys here.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:42 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:34 pm I want to be banned in the middle of the playoffs.

Google translate works well from redneck gibberish to english...

You and Mëds can share a beer somewhere.
Mëds started it
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Calgary Flames
@NHLFlames
Some news to kick off your week!

The #Flames have named Geoff Ward head coach: https://cflam.es/2RsnbnT
8:45 AM · Sep 14, 2020