R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: R1 - Canucks vs blues - 2020 playoffs

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:30 pm Benn shouldn’t be sitting. If you are so bound and determined to have Juolevi playing, pull a forward and go with seven D.
I know alot of ppl want to see Juolevi in, but I wonder if the One-Eyed Rafferty should be the guy inserted in place of Tony Stecher? Stech was a hero in game#1, but the Blues are taking advantage of him in games #3 + #4. Greener can put Rafferty with Edler or use him in the bottom pairing with Benn or Fatenberger. Rafferty was our best Utica D-man and an all-star. He has better size to match up against the Blues and he may be able to help generate some offense, but on the flip side, we'll probably see some rookie mistakes.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:19 am So...fatigue was a huge factor last night. Clearly the canucks were a step behind and will only benefit from the day off.

Game 5 will be a different canucks team
Am I the only one who thinks the ice has been horrible in this series?

The last two games mostly, but also the first game of the series.

Lots of bouncing pucks and shit.

If true, that favours the Blues in my opinion.

I know some will see this as excuse-making, but I believe it to be true.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

“We’ve gotta stick with it. I don’t think this is the time to press the panic button.”

- Quinn Hughes
Quinn Hughes sounding like a vet.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:41 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:19 am So...fatigue was a huge factor last night. Clearly the canucks were a step behind and will only benefit from the day off.

I was going to mention this as well, being the late game is good for us but it seems the ice has problems as the game goes on. Will be easier for the Canucks in the second round as there should only be 1 game a day in the arena.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Travis Green on Sportsnet today; https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gre ... -vs-blues/ 1;42 min.
“I think our guys have learned a lot already. Our guys know they're in the battle now... Our group is obviously disappointed. But, man, I think our group is excited to play the next game and looking forward to it. We understand we're in a tough series. It's not just after losses, it's after wins. I think our group understands that. We've talked about that from day 1, not to get too high or too low. Our group is fine that way. Gotta have short term memory even when things are going well. I got a lot of belief in our group. I love it. I love what our team is doing. I love what our team has done so far. But, this is not about a learning process right now. We're here to win and we have full belief we can win and that's what I'm expecting.”

“They're a good line. They're playing well right now. Easy to say be physical on them when you can. They've been a factor, they're playing well. I'd like to see us spend more time in their zone against that line.” Green on O’Reilly line.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Good point. Its like 35 degrees outside, 4 games a day on the same sheet of ice.

I put forward fatigue, ice conditions and stetcher in the top 4 as the pivotal factors/legitimate excuses in the 2 losses.
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:57 pm
Tciso wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:50 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:32 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:30 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:09 pm Benn’s ceiling is set. Juolevi has the higher ceiling but is now the right time to put it to test? Yes says Chef!!!
pull a forward and go with seven D.
Classic Keenan move

Jason Strudwick - forward/defender.
except Juolevi has already proven to be more skilled that Strudsie. The forward/Dman thing works, but Strudsie is a bad example of it. Heck, even bulldog was better.
The point is, that the bottom 3 guys on the D need sheltering. Maybe yank Virtanen and dress seven D. Even with Myers in the lineup it’s a razor thin D core. Myers, Tanev and Edler are all on the decline and are all passable #4 guys. So you have a #1 who’s still a kid, three old brittle #4 guys and three scrubs that can play bottom pairing minutes.
not sure if I would rate Myers, Tanev and Edler as #4 defencemen.. they are 2-3 guys for sure, and declining, also sure, but to rate them as #4 is a bit harsh.

More accurately is to say that as a game wears on, with the Blues dominating the offensive zone time, they wear down and the entire team looks bad.

Better defencemen is not the answer for that problem. We simply need to play in the offensive zone more.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:34 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:30 pm Benn shouldn’t be sitting. If you are so bound and determined to have Juolevi playing, pull a forward and go with seven D.
I know alot of ppl want to see Juolevi in, but I wonder if the One-Eyed Rafferty should be the guy inserted in place of Tony Stecher? Stech was a hero in game#1, but the Blues are taking advantage of him in games #3 + #4. Greener can put Rafferty with Edler or use him in the bottom pairing with Benn or Fatenberger. Rafferty was our best Utica D-man and an all-star. He has better size to match up against the Blues and he may be able to help generate some offense, but on the flip side, we'll probably see some rookie mistakes.
replacing Stetcher with an untried rookie like Rafferty isn't going to shake things up. While Stetch has a brain fart every game, so does everyone else when they are under pressure in their own zone for long stretches and the refs have the whistles put away. Rafferty with his known defensive warts wont solve the problem.

Seems to me like lots of fans miss Myers back there :roll:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:04 pm Better defencemen is not the answer for that problem. We simply need to play in the offensive zone more.
We aren’t getting into the o-zone because we are not clearing the d-zone with possession or speed. The step back from Myers to Benn is enormous on transition, and so is Stetch going from 15 minutes to 20.

I think the Canucks have done well in their own zone, given how much they are there. The Edler and Stetcher’s double team on
Perron was a major mental breakdown last night, and O’Reilly made them pay with a decisive and skilled finish. Markstrom is playing well, but It isn’t like he’s standing on his head. Canucks are battling well. But they have to dictate pace, and they can’t do that when clearing the zone is the goal...
Hono_rary Canadian
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

UWSaint wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:21 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:04 pm Better defencemen is not the answer for that problem. We simply need to play in the offensive zone more.
We aren’t getting into the o-zone because we are not clearing the d-zone with possession or speed. The step back from Myers to Benn is enormous on transition, and so is Stetch going from 15 minutes to 20.
But it’s not all on the defence that we are not clearing the Dzone. Lots of times, forwards are not getting back in position to conduct a break out, they blow the zone a couple seconds early, or (most often) are either out of position to get a pass (skating behind coverage) or they simply miss the pass.. it seems we miss more passes than any other team..

And stetcher moving up from #5 Defenceman to #4 better not be a ‘make or break’ for this team. If any teams number 5 guy can’t handle #4 minutes, your team has other issues. And for a 2.5-3 million dollar guy in the 5 slot, Troy from Richmond is ok. Yes, there are always better options, but he is serviceable. Everyone expects him to play like a 5 million dollar guy, and he gets a lot of flak for it.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:07 pm replacing Stetcher with an untried rookie like Rafferty isn't going to shake things up.

Rafferty with his known defensive warts wont solve the problem.

Seems to me like lots of fans miss Myers back there :roll:
I'd go with Rafferty ahead of Juolevi though. Man, if we lose this series, losing Myers will have been the turning point.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

To Date, playoff stats:
https://assets1.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl ... cks/stats/

They are just stats but there are alarming Trends that start showing up as time goes by.
Jake Virtanen is a mess to date. Beagle and Motte, not getting it done. Eriksson's warts are showing now.. So far as MacKewen goes, though awkward to make changes at this point, I wonder if Gaudette might be an option.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:04 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:57 pm
Tciso wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:50 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:32 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:30 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:09 pm Benn’s ceiling is set. Juolevi has the higher ceiling but is now the right time to put it to test? Yes says Chef!!!
pull a forward and go with seven D.
Classic Keenan move

Jason Strudwick - forward/defender.
except Juolevi has already proven to be more skilled that Strudsie. The forward/Dman thing works, but Strudsie is a bad example of it. Heck, even bulldog was better.
The point is, that the bottom 3 guys on the D need sheltering. Maybe yank Virtanen and dress seven D. Even with Myers in the lineup it’s a razor thin D core. Myers, Tanev and Edler are all on the decline and are all passable #4 guys. So you have a #1 who’s still a kid, three old brittle #4 guys and three scrubs that can play bottom pairing minutes.
not sure if I would rate Myers, Tanev and Edler as #4 defencemen.. they are 2-3 guys for sure, and declining, also sure, but to rate them as #4 is a bit harsh.

More accurately is to say that as a game wears on, with the Blues dominating the offensive zone time, they wear down and the entire team looks bad.

Better defencemen is not the answer for that problem. We simply need to play in the offensive zone more.
I don’t see them as 2/3 guys on a good team. Its still a razor thin D corps and a razor thin D pipeline. More resources (draft picks) should have been thrown at the defence years ago. They’ve aged out and now we have Hughes and pretty much fuck all else back there for the future.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:04 pm not sure if I would rate Myers, Tanev and Edler as #4 defencemen.. they are 2-3 guys for sure, and declining, also sure, but to rate them as #4 is a bit harsh.

:lol: Ignore Blob, Tanev and Myers are very good D-men. Edler is just showing his age, he can’t handle the minutes Green relies on him to handle. The Team took a big U turn after Myers went down, it’s not by chance that the Blues are now causing havoc in our D-zone. We miss Myers wingspan/stick, size, speed and transition game big time especially against a team like the Blues
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

They’re all getting older and declining. I didn’t say they were shitty. They are not 2/3 guys on a good team. Once again you miss the point.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”