GDT: Canucks versus Blues Gm2 3:30pst SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks versus Blues Gm2 3:30pst SNP

Post by mr perfect »

rats19 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:22 pm
mr perfect wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:13 pm Was watching SN post game and prior to Flegms/Stars start. David Yellow claimed the refs ruled the Blues 3rd and game tying goal was ruled no goal on the ice. If true, it means the War Room in TO claimed irrefutable evidence of no high stick and over ruled the refs. I felt it was too close to call on the ice which means the original ruling on the ice stands.
Conspiracy.... shouldn’t have booed team canada... lol
Elliot Friedman confirmed the original call on the goal by the refs was no goal. The only thing I can conclude is the War Room told the refs the puck hit Jaden Schwartz's knee before entering the net.

That was 48 years ago Rats. I'm still remembering the Aaron Rome season ending suspension in 2011 which was longer than Claude Lemieux's suspension in '96 and Marty McSorley's in '88. Then on top of that Boychuk headlocking Raymond and driving him into the boards long after the puck was gone was a "hockey hit." The Canucks have more than paid for '72 in 2011.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

mr perfect wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:48 pm
rats19 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:22 pm
mr perfect wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:13 pm Was watching SN post game and prior to Flegms/Stars start. David Yellow claimed the refs ruled the Blues 3rd and game tying goal was ruled no goal on the ice. If true, it means the War Room in TO claimed irrefutable evidence of no high stick and over ruled the refs. I felt it was too close to call on the ice which means the original ruling on the ice stands.
Conspiracy.... shouldn’t have booed team canada... lol
Elliot Friedman confirmed the original call on the goal by the refs was no goal. The only thing I can conclude is the War Room told the refs the puck hit Jaden Schwartz's knee before entering the net.

That was 48 years ago Rats. I'm still remembering the Aaron Rome season ending suspension in 2011 which was longer than Claude Lemieux's suspension in '96 and Marty McSorley's in '88. Then on top of that Boychuk headlocking Raymond and driving him into the boards long after the puck was gone was a "hockey hit." The Canucks have more than paid for '72 in 2011.
One would think.. wouldn’t one
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Man, I just have to add the vets have really been the unsung heroes in these playoffs.

The other night was Sutter & Motte. Tonight, I thought the Beagle was a monster. Motte again had a very effective game.

We've been whipping these dogs for the last few years, but playoffs have really shown their value.

Even Loui... he doesn't hit, he doesn't body anyone, can't pass, can't shoot, can't score anymore, can't make any offensive plays, won't scare a shadow but watching him, you can see his experience really helps. He is like a very effective moving speedbump, doing just enough to slow you down and get in your way.

Just love how this team is playing together right now. Not intimidated one bit by the moment.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

rats19 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:44 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:38 pm To win in overtime like that after a debatable tying goal in the final seconds with the officials screwing them all night, is massive. First year captain Horvat set up by 20 year old rookie Quinn Hughes and you have Pettersson getting a couple points and game saving OT shot block and Boeser with two points. What a great looking present and future.I thought they played a great game as a team, better than some are saying, and the Blues added momentum as a result of the power plays being 6-3 affected the flow in the their favour as could be expected and made them look better than they actually were. Canucks aren't the least bit intimidated.

Just think, we're in Year 2 of post Sedins, Horvat's first year as captain, Petersson's 21 in his second season, Hughes is a 20 year old rookie, and Boeser is 23 in his third year, the young guys are leading the way in the playoffs already and the team has seven players at a PPG over the six games to date. We're just getting started folks.
It is a grande feeling eh curmy
And I was just hoping they'd make it a series.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:00 pm
rats19 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:44 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:38 pm To win in overtime like that after a debatable tying goal in the final seconds with the officials screwing them all night, is massive. First year captain Horvat set up by 20 year old rookie Quinn Hughes and you have Pettersson getting a couple points and game saving OT shot block and Boeser with two points. What a great looking present and future.I thought they played a great game as a team, better than some are saying, and the Blues added momentum as a result of the power plays being 6-3 affected the flow in the their favour as could be expected and made them look better than they actually were. Canucks aren't the least bit intimidated.

Just think, we're in Year 2 of post Sedins, Horvat's first year as captain, Petersson's 21 in his second season, Hughes is a 20 year old rookie, and Boeser is 23 in his third year, the young guys are leading the way in the playoffs already and the team has seven players at a PPG over the six games to date. We're just getting started folks.
It is a grande feeling eh curmy
And I was just hoping they'd make it a series.
Still lots of hockey left.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

2Fingers wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:09 pm
Still lots of hockey left.
By no means am I saying they have the series won but not in a million years would I have thought they'd be up 2-0.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Conn Horvat :D
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I had to watch this one on delay.

I don't know if that was Kelly Sutherland or not but those referees officiated that game like they had money on the Blues.
el rey del mambo
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

First, the call on the ice was a goal. Second, if it was hit by a high stick the goal would have been waived off either because it was hit in by a high stick or it was hit by a Blues player immediately after a high stick. If it was a high stick the whistle would have ended play the moment another Blues player hit it. One ref signaled a goal but the officials huddled and made the on ice call of no goal. It was overturned in the war room and a goal was called.

It was the right call. His stick was high but was on the downward trajectory. By the time he hit the puck it was crossbar or lower. On replay I felt it was a goal.

They got the offside challenge right and made the right call on the goal. It sucks but I think both calls were correct. However, it never should have mattered. The officiating, blatant non calls, was horrible. I don't have a problem with any of the calls made against us, even Beagle's double minor. I have a huge problem with the boarding, holding, high sticking, spearing etc, that wasn't called.

I didn't think the Blues were the "better" team. For sure they had stretches where they were better, but so did we. In OT we could have ended it before Petty made that incredible block. It was an event played game, anyone's game, thanks mostly to the officiating. But I don't want a repeat or 2011 against the Bruins. Gotta fight through it like we did tonight.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So if the Blues want to make an adjustment and put Perron/ROR/Schwarz vs Horvat,Pearson and Loui, then Pettersson, Miller and Boeser will say thank you with their bruised and battered bodies as they violate the Shenn/Bozak/Tarasenko line.

Problem with the Blues changing their match up, they just lost their first two home games and Green now has last change.

Vancouver effectively countered the Blues aggressive forecheck with stretch passes just enough for the win, but not enough to change the Blues mind about keeping someone back. Slightly reminiscent of what Chicago used to do the Vancouver.

Yes Edler had some ugly giveaways, but the guy is a fucking horse out there.

I read on another site, something written by a would be General Manager, that Meyers is nothing but an overpaid 3rd pairing guy. I don't understand why anyone is concerned with his injury.........but it could be a shoulder and not a concussion.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Post-Game Media Interviews:

first---Tanner Pearson and Elias Pettersson. (Pearson answers almost all the questions).

Then---Quinn Hughes,-Bo Horvat,-Jacob Markstrom.

The---Travis Green, (happy he is, almost dumbfounded.).

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postg ... /c-5404115

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the youtube devoted solely to Bo's overtime goal, there is a part where the camera stays on Hughes and Tyler Bozak who took him down after he
passed it. They wait, they wait, then Bo scores and Quinn just looks at the Bozak.---Kids got some moxie , does he ever...
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
final stats: .https://www.covers.com/sport/hockey/nhl/boxscore/207388
"evolution"
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

Bo brought it again tonight. That's 3 games in a row where he was the difference maker. It has been such a treat to watch him mature into such a clutch performer. He took the responsibilities of being a captain seriously and took it upon himself to lead his team to victory. What more can we ask for out of this beast of a player?

The boys prevailed despite the massive amount of adversity they faced. This is invaluable experience going forward.

RF's gravy meter is at 2. I'm over the moon that we have come this far but there's a lot of work yet. Keep it up!
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:47 pm I didn't think the Blues were the "better" team...
They had a wide shot advantage and fair to say territorial and physical advantage (regardless of the non-calls) but for me I agree it wasn't as one-sided as most of the commentators said. Nucks brought it today and matched the Blues understandably desperate intensity. Ultimately I give the edge to the Nucks because a good metric is quality scoring chances generated and I thought that was no contest. The Blues literally scratched and clawed for everything they could get and they didn't really get that much in terms of Grade A chances, imo. It came much easier for us and had the play (and calls!) been a little more even we take this one going away.

That said, 2-0 lead can change on a dime and even up easily and as quickly as Monday if we don't crank the intensity/desparation above their level in game 3. Gotta treat it like a do-or-die and be the more desparate team.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Our best forward is not on the top line, yet our top line has been superb. How you like dem apples?

Hell our best player may not even be a forward. Ok, def edge to Bo but not by much as unbelievable as that sounds. Our Fab 5 have been our best 5...tho how do you leave out Pearson, Tanev? Just so not used to seeing our best players consistently being best players top to bottom, especially in playoffs!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

The Canucks could easily have won this game by a clearer margin, if the refs had made a few correct calls. The boarding on Sutter and the high stick on Edler could have erased two goals, not to mention StL was damn lucky Miller was offside and the high stick goal was overturned, often close calls are not overturned. The Canucks are anything but lucky to get full value for this win.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.