The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by 2Fingers »

BigTuna wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:54 am https://twitter.com/MikeKellyNHL/status ... 3779229698

Take him in your pools kids.
Still no goalie and your D is barely improved. The best part is after this season half your D is gone.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It makes no difference to leaves outcome if Nylander has a season for the ages. Really. I’ll be happy for him if he produces at a pace he is expected to. I’ll be happy for Tuna too. With great Blue Jay sell off and the fleeing of Leonard, Tuna needs something to keep his sanity.
The only HW the Canucks need
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 am It makes no difference to leaves outcome if Nylander has a season for the ages. Really. I’ll be happy for him if he produces at a pace he is expected to. I’ll be happy for Tuna too. With great Blue Jay sell off and the fleeing of Leonard, Tuna needs something to keep his sanity.
I've seen a championship in the last 2 months. Vancouver has never seen one.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:01 am
BigTuna wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:54 am https://twitter.com/MikeKellyNHL/status ... 3779229698

Still no goalie and your D is barely improved. The best part is after this season half your D is gone.
Andersen is a goalie. He's just not a proven clutch performer yet.

Their D is quite improved I think, Barrie is a big upgrade on Gardiner because he plays RS. Barrie will get $8M next year, Gardiner isn't even getting a bite so far and his rumored price was the same as Myers.....or a bit more. BUT.....you are right about next season, and not just half, ALL but Reilly. Everyone in Toronto is so certain that Sandin and Liljgren will slot in on their ELC's, but currently the Leaves are so far above the cap ceiling that they can't even return Dermott to the lineup from LTIR without going even further above.....oh and he's a free agent next year too.

Most teams that were where Tarrana was 2 years ago in terms of young, talented skaters, are gearing up for a 5-7 year window of contention. Instead Dubas shortened that window substantially by signing Tavares. That immediately screwed the team because $10 Million William looked at JT's career stats and saw a guy who had punched below 1ppg for his entire career get $11M to come home and play for his boyhood team.....so he figured he should get something bigger than was offered too for his production, and Dubas gave it to him. Marner and Matthews both had to be signed for the following season, there was only one real piece signed on the blueline, and goaltending was unproven. So why give the massive bucks to a guy like JT when it puts you in such a bind?

Tavares is just the next name on a long list of free agents that Toronto gave a wheelbarrow of money to just so they would wear the blue and white.....but not win anything. But take comfort Leaf fans, Tavares will be there after Matthews is gone.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:43 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 am It makes no difference to leaves outcome if Nylander has a season for the ages. Really. I’ll be happy for him if he produces at a pace he is expected to. I’ll be happy for Tuna too. With great Blue Jay sell off and the fleeing of Leonard, Tuna needs something to keep his sanity.
But it's basketball Tuna.....none of us really give a shit. It's cool and all, but mostly because it's rare that you see a GM make such a ballsy move as Ujiri did and have it pay off. But honestly, it's still basketball, and none of us could care less.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Up yours.
"evolution"
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:55 am
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:01 am

Andersen is a goalie. He's just not a proven clutch performer yet.

Their D is quite improved I think, Barrie is a big upgrade on Gardiner because he plays RS. Barrie will get $8M next year, Gardiner isn't even getting a bite so far and his rumored price was the same as Myers.....or a bit more. BUT.....you are right about next season, and not just half, ALL but Reilly. Everyone in Toronto is so certain that Sandin and Liljgren will slot in on their ELC's, but currently the Leaves are so far above the cap ceiling that they can't even return Dermott to the lineup from LTIR without going even further above.....oh and he's a free agent next year too.

Most teams that were where Tarrana was 2 years ago in terms of young, talented skaters, are gearing up for a 5-7 year window of contention. Instead Dubas shortened that window substantially by signing Tavares. That immediately screwed the team because $10 Million William looked at JT's career stats and saw a guy who had punched below 1ppg for his entire career get $11M to come home and play for his boyhood team.....so he figured he should get something bigger than was offered too for his production, and Dubas gave it to him. Marner and Matthews both had to be signed for the following season, there was only one real piece signed on the blueline, and goaltending was unproven. So why give the massive bucks to a guy like JT when it puts you in such a bind?

Tavares is just the next name on a long list of free agents that Toronto gave a wheelbarrow of money to just so they would wear the blue and white.....but not win anything. But take comfort Leaf fans, Tavares will be there after Matthews is gone.
A rookie just won the stanley cup. Andersen isn't the best, but generally the "Best" goalies have 0 cup wins. It's about the team. They certainly do not need to go out and get a "Better" goalie (Who?) for his age, stats and cap hit. He's atrue #1.

And how did Tavares shorten the window? All it did was rob them the chance of doing what Benning did this summer, overpay bottom 6 guys for no reason.

Identity a core of 5-7 players. Cheap-out on the rest. They are better with Tavares, not worse.

BTW, wasn't the leaves terrible cap isues supposed to mean Nylander traded lomg ago and multiple offersheets for Marner? Looks to me like they are keeping the core intact damn good.

Check the cap situation right now for a team with an "Amazing" future-NY Rangers. everyone raves about them, but they have no cap and had to buy-put SHattrenkirk. Kind of shows you the leaves cap issues were vastly overhyped.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:57 am
But it's basketball Tuna.....none of us really give a shit. It's cool and all, but mostly because it's rare that you see a GM make such a ballsy move as Ujiri did and have it pay off. But honestly, it's still basketball, and none of us could care less.
Yes and that was shown by record-breaking ratings throughout the country and Raptors viewing parties nationwide...
The only reason Vancouver found an excuse not to is Toronto jealousy.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Dubas and Atkins are like brothers in armpits.
And THE RAPTORS WON BECAUSE ONE PLAYER USED THEM!!!!! now he's gone, aha-aha-aha-aha.
"evolution"
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

micky107 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:07 am Dubas and Atkins are like brothers in armpits.
And THE RAPTORS WON BECAUSE ONE PLAYER USED THEM!!!!! now he's gone, aha-aha-aha-aha.
How did he use them? LOL. Are you trying to say Raptors lost the Leonard trade? They traded for a player with 1 year left and it worked brilliantly. Derosen only has 1 year left himself and will be traded soon.

Toronto has the most recent title of any north american city.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BigTuna wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 am The only reason Vancouver found an excuse not to is Toronto jealousy.
Do you really think anyone could possibly be jealous of that shithole of a city? Honestly though...do you?
If you need air...call it in
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:12 am
BigTuna wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 am The only reason Vancouver found an excuse not to is Toronto jealousy.
Do you really think anyone could possibly be jealous of that shithole of a city? Honestly though...do you?
You mean the shithole city which finishes top of every ranking?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BigTuna wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:25 am
Top? Look around man. Youre idealizing a polluted, overcrowded urban ghetto with popsicle stick walls hidden by stainless appliances and particle board crown mouldings.
No wonder you gaze westward so longingly...

Heres an idea tuna...make that life change you so obviously dream about...move out west where its not so ghetto
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Are you seriously going to go back to that assertion when you consistently get your head rhetorically kicked in here every time you do it? Are you a masochist or just that bored???
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:50 am
Top? Look around man. Youre idealizing a polluted, overcrowded urban ghetto with popsicle stick walls hidden by stainless appliances and particle board crown mouldings.
No wonder you gaze westward so longingly...

Heres an idea tuna...make that life change you so obviously dream about...move out west where its not so ghetto
yeah.. like the wide open skies of northern Manitoba!! :D

or Winnipeg!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.