GDT: Canucks 'host' the mild - 7:30pm Aug 2 G1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks 'host' the mild - 7:30pm Aug 2 G1

Post by Hockey Widow »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 pm
griz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 pm A shot at a lottery draft looks to be the future.
Ain't winning that either.
Well my understanding is that one of the 16 teams has already won the 1st overall. They just didn't announce who. If that team wins the play in round then there will be a secondary draft to determine who gets that pick. If that team loses in the play in then they automatically get that pick. So it maybe a moot point when all is said and done.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Markstrom was not the best on those two goals but he stood on his head and made some pretty good saves the rest of the way. lesson: score the first goal. Something we have had a hard time doing.

Our defensive system, or something sucks. Is there any other team that gets caught running around as much> It is so predictable that when e get running around we will either take a penalty or get scored upon. You can feel it, see it. Something not right with our D zone.

Our forwards were rusty. Not enough quality shots and our passes were off. Not enough coordinated forecheck. I'd come back with Louie, he had a good camp. Take Sutter out. I don't know who Jake replaces unless Ferland gets hurt. Or take Gaud out and let Sutter play centre.

We didn't look like an exciting team tonight. But Minny had our number during the regular season and they always play us tough. Kinda hard to watch being August and all.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Post game--Edler/ Markstrom-- Pettersson/ Horvat and Green---https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postg ... /c-5393645
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I guess the good thing about playing the Jets in preseason and the Wild qualifier, is that these are teams that have gave the Canucks trouble for a while now. IF they can overcome the Wild it will be a big boost to them moving forward to help defeat the tough teams and the confidence to believe that they can win.

That seems to be a big thing about this core (Petey/Hughes/Boeser) is that they are really young and inexperienced, what I'm kinda disappointed is in our captain Horvat, he needs to be our Bergeron, Toews or ROR, a fucking beast, making big plays, playing like a bull.

Teams is missing that swagger yet.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I'm kind of disappointed in the deployment of the troops by Green. Maybe he needs better help then Newell Brown.
Some silly, Hail Mary pass attempts thru the neutral zone and players not able to pick up their assignments as automatically as they should.
We got enough shots on net but almost no screen. He saw everything.
Marky let in one he might normally get but the guy still made some great saves. No fault there.

Chris Tanev's face after the hit, LOOK ... A warrior to be sure.
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Well that was a good buzz wasted. They need way, way more out of Toffoli, Pearson, and Horvat or it will be over early. Full marks for Ferland, though I'm not sure what he was thinking with the fight, and Roussel showing some jam but that line was poor on the hockey side of things. I'm not entirely sold on Green as coach either.

Making Alex Stalock look like Connor Hellebuyck is not exactly a proud achievement but that's about all they accomplished last night.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:39 am
griz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 pm A shot at a lottery draft looks to be the future.
Well my understanding is that one of the 16 teams has already won the 1st overall. They just didn't announce who. If that team wins the play in round then there will be a secondary draft to determine who gets that pick. If that team loses in the play in then they automatically get that pick. So it maybe a moot point when all is said and done.
Where did you hear this?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:47 am Markstrom was not the best on those two goals but he stood on his head and made some pretty good saves the rest of the way. lesson: score the first goal. Something we have had a hard time doing.

Our defensive system, or something sucks. Is there any other team that gets caught running around as much> It is so predictable that when e get running around we will either take a penalty or get scored upon. You can feel it, see it. Something not right with our D zone.

Our forwards were rusty. Not enough quality shots and our passes were off. Not enough coordinated forecheck. I'd come back with Louie, he had a good camp. Take Sutter out. I don't know who Jake replaces unless Ferland gets hurt. Or take Gaud out and let Sutter play centre.

We didn't look like an exciting team tonight. But Minny had our number during the regular season and they always play us tough. Kinda hard to watch being August and all.
It’s amazing how hemmed in we get in our own zone while the Wild gets pucks out of danger with absolute ease, we make opposing goalies look good, they see the pucks clearly cause we lack in getting traffic to the front of their net. There’s the difference, we can’t sustain any pressure in the O-zone and end up chasing our tails in the D-zone. Not to mention I thought the Wild owned us in the middle of the ice as well
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:39 am
Where did you hear this?
Yeah HW completely fucked with ole Chefs noodle on that one, I just accepted it as the Chef not being educated enough on how this draft is shaking out. I think HW is out to lunch in Pats Pub at the Patricia on Hastings on that one. I’ve never heard that angle
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think Green should insert both MacEwen and Virtanen next game. Too many guys not getting to the net. Gaudette looked way above his depth in this game. I actually thought Sutter looked decent unlike the exhibition game where he struggled mightily.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments:

Welcome to playoff hockey. Ever wonder why coaches and managers say it is critical to get young players playoff hockey experience. The pressure, speed and intensity all ramp up and they need to experience that. Hopefully Game 1 was the experience they needed to ramp it up themselves.

What were to be the Canuck strengths, were their weaknesses. Staying out of the box, the power play, speed, goal tending. The Wild played an aggressive close one on one battle and consistently won. Faster puck movement will beat that. The Wild can't clutch and flail with sticks to swat pucks out of Canuck control if the puck is being passed quickly.

Yes, Gaudette in in over his head, but if Jake needs to come in, pull Pearson.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Agreed on Gaudette being in over our head. Our 3 centres with the exception of Petey stunk last night. But more so the bottom 6 centres - Gaudette and Beagle stunk royally. Maybe move Sutter to 3rd line centre because as we all know - Greener loves Sutts and hates the kids, but I have no problem with all 3 of MacEwan, Virtanen and even Eriksson all swapping in for any of Gaudette, Roussel, Beagle, Pearson or Sutter. I actually didn’t mind Motte’s game last night, we also need his speed since we don’t have a whole lot of it. Eriksson is actually a solid player defensively would not be surprised if he gets in and as we know - Greener trusts him
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:50 am Yeah HW completely fucked with ole Chefs noodle on that one, I just accepted it as the Chef not being educated enough on how this draft is shaking out. I think HW is out to lunch in Pats Pub at the Patricia on Hastings on that one. I’ve never heard that angle
She has friends in high places I think. This is a while back now -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfmSyDHc4jw
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 am I think Green should insert both MacEwen and Virtanen next game. Too many guys not getting to the net. Gaudette looked way above his depth in this game. I actually thought Sutter looked decent unlike the exhibition game where he struggled mightily.
Agreed. I think Gaudette comes out only, Sutter moves to 3rd line centre and actually MacEwan comes in. Any more of a change than that it will look desperate for answers, pushing the panic button. You need to also give last nights group another kick at the can, hoping they now understand their opponent better
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:38 am

Making Alex Stalock look like Connor Hellebuyck is not exactly a proud achievement but that's about all they accomplished last night.
Canucks always giving away big important career milestones...

First post-season win

First post-season shut-out...
:bang:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde