Expansion draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27211
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:02 am The way we were thinking they would expose Ferland at the expansion draft. If he is healthy and doesn’t have any concussion related issue next year, do the Canuck still expose him? If they sign Toffoli, and protect Jake and Ferland, things get complicated for Gaudette and MacEwen.
I was thinking the same thing.

And I think if he does have a solid, healthy season Canucks will expose him and Seattle will likely take him.

I don't want Canucks to re-sign Toffoli, I'd rather give Jake a year of more icetime to see what he can accomplish.

Protect young forwards Pete, Brock, Bo, JT, Jake, Gaudette, and Mac. (add young Pod + Hog to that in 2021)

Keep Lind in the AHL next year... I doubt Seattle will take a chance on a player who is unproven in the NHL.

Easy to protect everyone we want on dee.

I think they believe in DiPietro as Markstrom's eventual replacement and that works age-wise development-wise.

Give Marko 3 years at $5.5M, extend Domingue for 2 years at $1.1M, and trade Demko for Detroit's 2nd (32nd overall).

And re-sign Tanev to $4.5 X 3.

Krakheads take Ferland/Roussel if bounce-back season(s) happen.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Madcombinepilot »

It’s also easy to expose someone we don’t want on D in a couple years as well (Myers)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 12194
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Expansion draft

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:14 pm
I don't want Canucks to re-sign Toffoli, I'd rather give Jake a year of more icetime to see what he can accomplish.
Interesting. What if he has a good playoff and finds a groove with Miller and Pettersson? They had some juju there for 10 games.

I guess with the organizational depth at RW it makes little sense to wedge a big contract in there where theyre already set up and fill this hole on an entry level if Jake doesnt pan out out
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27211
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:17 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:14 pm I don't want Canucks to re-sign Toffoli, I'd rather give Jake a year of more icetime to see what he can accomplish.
Interesting. What if he has a good playoff and finds a groove with Miller and Pettersson? They had some juju there for 10 games.
Me'h, fuck 'im. :drink:

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:17 pm I guess with the organizational depth at RW it makes little sense to wedge a big contract in there where theyre already set up and fill this hole on an entry level if Jake doesnt pan out out
Now you're cookin' with hickory! :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27211
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Strangelove »

Next year run with:

Miller – Pete – Boeser
Pearson – Bo – Jake/Mac
Ferland – Gaud - Jake/Mac
Roussel – Beagle – Sutter
Motte


After that buh-bye Sutter + Ferland/Roussel... hello Pod + Hog... + Lind?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3105
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Expansion draft

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:14 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:02 am The way we were thinking they would expose Ferland at the expansion draft. If he is healthy and doesn’t have any concussion related issue next year, do the Canuck still expose him? If they sign Toffoli, and protect Jake and Ferland, things get complicated for Gaudette and MacEwen.
I was thinking the same thing.

And I think if he does have a solid, healthy season Canucks will expose him and Seattle will likely take him.

I don't want Canucks to re-sign Toffoli, I'd rather give Jake a year of more icetime to see what he can accomplish.
The odds of Ferland playing out his contract are miniscule.

Virtanen should have some trade value, and really, Toffoli would as well if he's signed to a 3 or 4 year extension. If his instant-chemistry is sustained, he's a piece that could return a 1st or a good prospect down the line. He would definitely return more in a trade than a Zack McEwen, so it doesn't make sense to me to let him walk to keep Zack from being exposed at the x draft.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27211
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:48 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:14 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:02 am The way we were thinking they would expose Ferland at the expansion draft. If he is healthy and doesn’t have any concussion related issue next year, do the Canuck still expose him? If they sign Toffoli, and protect Jake and Ferland, things get complicated for Gaudette and MacEwen.
I was thinking the same thing.

And I think if he does have a solid, healthy season Canucks will expose him and Seattle will likely take him.

I don't want Canucks to re-sign Toffoli, I'd rather give Jake a year of more icetime to see what he can accomplish.
The odds of Ferland playing out his contract are miniscule.

Virtanen should have some trade value, and really, Toffoli would as well if he's signed to a 3 or 4 year extension. If his instant-chemistry is sustained, he's a piece that could return a 1st or a good prospect down the line. He would definitely return more in a trade than a Zack McEwen, so it doesn't make sense to me to let him walk to keep Zack from being exposed at the x draft.
I don't want to let him walk to keep Zack from being exposed at the x draft.

I want him to walk because I don't think it will turn out to be a good signing.

Well that... and I want to see what Jake/Mac can do with the extra icetime.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13628
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Micky »

.
They "NHL" updated the expansion page a bit: .. LINK ...Get the new name in and all.

How can it happen on time? Can they pull off the playoffs all the way to a cup winner and play the entire 20/21 season ?
I don't see how it's not pushed back at least 2 or 3 months at best.
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:03 pm Next year run with:

Miller – Pete – Boeser
Pearson – Bo – Jake/Mac
Ferland – Gaud - Jake/Mac
Roussel – Beagle – Sutter
Motte

After that buh-bye Sutter + Ferland/Roussel... hello Pod + Hog... + Lind?
I really like this !! Maybe a Jack Rathbone after that too.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3105
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Expansion draft

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:28 pm
I don't want to let him walk to keep Zack from being exposed at the x draft.

I want him to walk because I don't think it will turn out to be a good signing.

Well that... and I want to see what Jake/Mac can do with the extra icetime.
I don't think Toff is going to be signed for $6.5+ , long term, with full NMC. Anything less than that and he is a moveable piece, imo. If I'm wrong, then yeah he should be shown the door and test the worst UFA market in nhl history (from an economic perspective).
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27211
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:03 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:28 pm
I don't want to let him walk to keep Zack from being exposed at the x draft.

I want him to walk because I don't think it will turn out to be a good signing.

Well that... and I want to see what Jake/Mac can do with the extra icetime.
I don't think Toff is going to be signed for $6.5+ , long term, with full NMC. Anything less than that and he is a moveable piece, imo. If I'm wrong, then yeah he should be shown the door and test the worst UFA market in nhl history (from an economic perspective).
His 10 games with Canucks is not a clear indicator, look at his numbers over the years.

Toffoli doesn't deserve any more than $5M X 4 in this flat-cap climate in my opinion.

And even then I don't think Canucks should sign him.

We have Jake and Mac and young Pod/Hog/Lind coming along in the next year or two.

Let's give that spot, that icetime, to some of these cheaper younger guys says I.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19986
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:13 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:03 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:28 pm
I don't want to let him walk to keep Zack from being exposed at the x draft.

I want him to walk because I don't think it will turn out to be a good signing.

Well that... and I want to see what Jake/Mac can do with the extra icetime.
I don't think Toff is going to be signed for $6.5+ , long term, with full NMC. Anything less than that and he is a moveable piece, imo. If I'm wrong, then yeah he should be shown the door and test the worst UFA market in nhl history (from an economic perspective).
His 10 games with Canucks is not a clear indicator, look at his numbers over the years.

Toffoli doesn't deserve any more than $5M X 4 in this flat-cap climate in my opinion.

And even then I don't think Canucks should sign him.

We have Jake and Mac and young Pod/Hog/Lind coming along in the next year or two.

Let's give that spot, that icetime, to some of these cheaper younger guys says I.
I have a 4 year cap on Toffoli as well, though I could be talked into 5.25.l annually. I don’t give a shit what they gave up for him when you are talking about a new contract. Those are two different things. Yes it was steep but if you sign him to a deal and he doesn’t perform that is far bigger problem than not having Madden and that 2nd round pick. Elmer can’t afford any more dumb dumb contracts.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27211
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:41 pm I have a 4 year cap on Toffoli as well, though I could be talked into 5.25.l annually. I don’t give a shit what they gave up for him when you are talking about a new contract. Those are two different things. Yes it was steep but if you sign him to a deal and he doesn’t perform that is far bigger problem than not having Madden and that 2nd round pick. Elmer can’t afford any more dumb dumb contracts.
A four year deal at $5.25 for Toffoli wouldn't be a dumb contract.

But dumb contracts don't have anything to do with what I'm talking about.

We're still a young team and i think we should make room for Jake/Mac/Pod/Hog/Lind

... at least until we see what we have in them?

We'll have a long window opening soon enough, no need to try to rush things by signing a forward into his 30s.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19986
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:59 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:41 pm I have a 4 year cap on Toffoli as well, though I could be talked into 5.25.l annually. I don’t give a shit what they gave up for him when you are talking about a new contract. Those are two different things. Yes it was steep but if you sign him to a deal and he doesn’t perform that is far bigger problem than not having Madden and that 2nd round pick. Elmer can’t afford any more dumb dumb contracts.
A four year deal at $5.25 for Toffoli wouldn't be a dumb contract.

But dumb contracts don't have anything to do with what I'm talking about.

We're still a young team and i think we should make room for Jake/Mac/Pod/Hog/Lind

... at least until we see what we have in them?

We'll have a long window opening soon enough, no need to try to rush things by signing a forward into his 30s.
5.25 x 4 absolutely would be a fine contract. But if he wants 6 years he can beat it unless it’s 4 million per.

Agree with getting a real good hard look at the younger cheaper wingers coming up. Spend the money elsewhere while the bad contracts run out. Maybe try and ditch one of them this summer. Either way James Elmer Benning will have a busy off season.

Jake is just so frustrating. You wish he had the drive and professionalism that Hughes, Horvat and Petey have. But not all players are the same. I still think he can be a real effective player for this team. It would be a shame to sell low on this player. Sit his ass out the first game and make him hungry.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19021
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:41 pm I don’t give a shit what they gave up for him
That’s because Sicilian Roberto Macchenzzi (Doyle) wanted Jack Wise instead of Tyler Birdbones Madden

Tyler Birdbones Madden is 5’-11” 150 lbs according to both HockeyDB and Elite Prospects
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19986
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:17 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:41 pm I don’t give a shit what they gave up for him
That’s because Sicilian Roberto Macchenzzi (Doyle) wanted Jack Wise instead of Tyler Birdbones Madden

Tyler Birdbones Madden is 5’-11” 150 lbs according to both HockeyDB and Elite Prospects
I brought up Wise once and said I would have preferred him. Since then you have brought him up 39 times. I have mentioned him six more times usually in response to your drunken rambling.

39-7 .... I think someone is beating a dead horse. Then again just hours before the 2017 draft you were in that thread preferring Vilardi, Glass and others ahead of Petterson. I forget how many posts you had gushing about Madden..... 200 + for sure. Even had him in the top 10 of a redraft I think. Since he’s been dealt, you’ve shit all over the kid like no other.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Post Reply