Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I keep sending in texts for Donny “1970’s” Taylor on 1040 asking about the glory days of hanging out with Al Davidson, Greg Douglas, Jim Coleman, Kenny Gilchrist, John McKeachie, Jim Taylor, Barry Houlihan, Bernie Pascall down at Trader Vic’s but he keeps ignoring me
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:41 am Houlihan is flogging real estate these days along with ex NHL players Gary Monahan, Gary Valk and Mark Lofthouse.
Houlihan got a press flight with the US Navy Blue Angels on Thursday press day at the 1988 Abbotsford Airshow.
They always start the same way. Take-off, full afterburners, travel straight for a couple thousand feet down the runway then
pull up, straight up, in a six-G climb. There's usually bets on who pukes and who doesn't.
He was supposed to go at 1pm but they were behind. He kept munching on stuff in the press area. (drinking a bit too).
He had a show to prepare for and he couldn't wait much longer. He said Mick: You want the ride? I can't wait much longer.
I said no, I've done it a few times and I gotta go up in another flight soon. give it to that cute lady over there---, Right at that
point, they grabbed him and said suit-up right now, your up.
Flight takes about 16 to 18 minutes. He was back in 12. The pilot said I've never had anyone puke that much! What a mess.
I had taken pics of him getting in cause he asked me to. I took them when he got back and climbed out too. Gross.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ive lit the afterburners on a blue angel myself
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:07 am Ive lit the afterburners on a blue angel myself
They used to serve drinks at a bar in town during the airshows called Blue Angels.

One night (decades ago) I dropped $300 on dat dere... "Gimme more of that blue shit" I kept saying.

Gooned? Oh fuck was I gooned.

For a few years I helped the local cable cover the airshow (cameraman) as a volunteer.

Hey, we won awards! 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:08 am Remember when Howie Meeker used to do colour for the Canucks games on BCTV with Bernie Pascall announcing the games? I remember in between periods they were having a 3 way conversation with John Mckeachie and Mckeach asked Howie something that pissed him off. Howie called him a dummy right on the air. Mckeachie with that bowl cut and dopey face with the big rum nose didn’t know what to say. Fucking gold it ‘twas.

Barry Houlihan used to get Howie all worked up too. The Canucks were so bad then but I used to laugh at that shit. Pascall was an absolutely horrible broadcaster though. So wooden, much like Gary Monahan or later Dave Thomlinsen.
Good stuff! :thumbs:

I remember a post-game interview McKeach had one night with Tiger Williams.

The Canadiens were in town and they beat our Canucks.

Tiger was already in a foul mood and then stupid McKeach started saying good things about the Habs.

Tiger snapped big time, going off about all the "Frog-lovers" in Vancouver and that McKeach is one of them!

He was threatening to beat the crap out of him right there+then and I honestly thought he was going to do just that.

Laugh? Oh fuck did I laugh!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol I remember that. Tiger looked like he wanted to pound the shit of out of Mckeachie.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sekeres slurpin' up Vegas pr. Has on his extra thick kneepads, jaw sore.

https://twitter.com/mattsekeres/status/ ... 8745493504
I'll hand it to Knights PR. They've had two would-be media firestorms (Fleury, Marchessault) this series that were addressed head-on with access, candour and fearlessness. Responsive and agile PR. Respect.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

SKYO wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:20 pm Sekeres slurpin' up Vegas pr. Has on his extra thick kneepads, jaw sore.

https://twitter.com/mattsekeres/status/ ... 8745493504
I'll hand it to Knights PR. They've had two would-be media firestorms (Fleury, Marchessault) this series that were addressed head-on with access, candour and fearlessness. Responsive and agile PR. Respect.
Don’t you know canucks are inept in everything they do. Sekeres should be GM. Players would definitely respect him.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RIP Botchford.

His wife and father have released the autopsy of his death, he died from an overdose of cocaine and fentanyl.

https://twitter.com/LottOnBaseball/stat ... 2320942087

He was crazy but passionate about the Canucks and I like that he took on Toronto media from time to time ha.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:07 pm RIP Botchford.

His wife and father have released the autopsy of his death, he died from an overdose of cocaine and fentanyl.

He was crazy but passionate about the Canucks and I like that he took on Toronto media from time to time ha.
Damn, that's wild.

Dude, your thoughts?
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

SKYO wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:07 pm RIP Botchford.

Didn’t botchford idolize the shanaplan? Much like our very own Doyle?
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

This tainted drug supply is ravaging our city. It's such a tragedy.

If you're going to use friends, get your drugs tested:

https://getyourdrugstested.com/
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I had a feeling cocaine was probably the cause. At times listening to Botch on 1040, more recent Botch, he sounded coked out to me, super wound up and intense, not like the old Botch
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:03 pm I had a feeling cocaine was probably the cause. At times listening to Botch on 1040, more recent Botch, he sounded coked out to me, super wound up and intense, not like the old Botch
Yes, I noticed it too thinking back. Doubtful imho he realized he was taking fentanyl.

Get that shit tested brothers.

el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:09 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:03 pm I had a feeling cocaine was probably the cause. At times listening to Botch on 1040, more recent Botch, he sounded coked out to me, super wound up and intense, not like the old Botch
Yes, I noticed it too thinking back. Doubtful imho he realized he was taking fentanyl.

Get that shit tested brothers.

He was foaming at the mouth his last little while on 1040, I knew something was up with his passing, not surprised to be honest. It was the coke habit that put him at Fentynals door, he sounded like a coke head on air